Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by promethh View Post
around to the studios, the tide might have turned.
Not to mention Sony owning a studio.

I wish I could pop-out the wimax hardware and replace it with EVDO. Sprint and Verizon use that and it works well.

Or the 3G iPhone stuff for that matter.

I think WiMax works in Finland, so that may have been a reason.

Though I do wish they would just sell them at the N810 price as I prefer the color scheme.

Originally Posted by tz1 View Post

I think WiMax works in Finland, so that may have been a reason..
No mobile WiMax networks in Finland

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I wish I could pop-out the wimax hardware and replace it with EVDO. Sprint and Verizon use that and it works well.

Though I do wish they would just sell them at the N810 price as I prefer the color scheme.
Well, yeah, the best plan would have been making it modular. Like, having a PCI-Express-Mini card or something (assuming one could be made to fit inside a NIT). Then you could have any WWAN you wanted, or none at all.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands

Agreed.

No, it was released for US for a specific network (XOHM) who own a license for a specific WiMAX frequency. Elsewhere, different frequencies are in use although sometimes it might be the same frequency this is something one should look into before buying the device.

There are indeed WiMAX networks in Finland but I don't know about the necessary details such as how wide the covered area is, or which frequency is used. I do know WiMAX is also rolled out to save costs on rolling out DSL or cable in rural areas while providing high speed access.

See Wikipedia: List of deployed WiMAX networks

For sure. I love the colour scheme as well. And a device can better be used than staying unsold.

However, I already own a N810, and the software and hardware would be out of date soon. 770 or N800 owners might like the device. The price of the N810 will go down because of new Maemo-based device. It could function as a (relatively cheap) demo model for upcoming Maemo-based device though. Together with Mer, that'd give a user a relatively usable device which might be a good bang for a buck in 2009/2010.

Come on people! When will you get it? Just as predicted in my post few months ago about the impending exctinction of the Internet Tablet. The N810 is not dead because of WIMAX inavailability, it, along with any kind of future Internet tablets, will die because of its limited functionality. My previous post explained why so I won't repeat it here. The point is, the IT has its limited devout following but that's about it...not for the general mass consumer. It's just simply too expensive for what it does, not user friendly, and too small for real functionality/practicallity, period. You either go with the Iphone/Itouch or a netbook. It will fade away...just like the PDAs.

Last edited by slingster; 2009-01-08 at 21:53.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Ya. The market decides. But the device was never meant for the mass market either.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by slingster View Post
You either go with the Iphone/Itouch or a netbook.
I was with you until that statement.

"Smartphone" yes.

"iPhone" no.

If Maemo wants to survive, and/or grow out of its niche, it'll either have to become a phone OS, or diversify to other MID-types, UMPCs, and netbooks. Probably even becoming multi-vendor. And it will have to do it soon, IMO.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by gonzo1082 View Post

Wimax has reached portland but it's not compatible with the n810w tablet. WTF.
Can you provide details or a link as to why? Thanks.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
The tablets are, or were, research projects. Nokia has used them to take risks and develop new technologies and directions outside of their main product line. The selection of WiMAX made sense in that light.
They were research products; but the selection of Wimax was a manifestation of their interest in a mobile wireless device that could support VoIP while avoiding the cellular ecosystem.

Nokia wound up sitting on the WiMAX Edition units for too long waiting for Sprint to pull its act together though. And now it appears Nokia's decided the long term payoff potential of WiMAX is no longer worth the risk. Perhaps it's the world economy. Perhaps, if the Maemo 5 device is step 5, they've decided they don't want an unsuccessful N810 WiMAX Edition hanging around as they push Maemo mainstream next year. Perhaps, as a certain ex-Nokia person suggests, Nokia's retreating from the US market.
There are a couple other likely reasons for the decision.

1) Insufficient WiMax network buildout to date and in near future
2) Nokia is not a part of the Clear ecosystem.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post: