Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
http://net9.blogspot.com/2006/08/mylo-too-high.html
3pm - So good, it's illegal

This thing is aimed @ myspace/im crackheads. I mean... Have you ever stumbled upon people in the ?hip 18/24yrs? crowd using 770s?

Let's not kid ourselves guys... the appeal of this great device will always be limited. So faken what?!?! I dont own a 770 cuz im an ?internet socialite?... !!!

Its like a sidekick... replacing phone*wi-fi... and every other device nowadays comes with some sort of mplayer/couple-inches screen combo, so that to me is quotidian by now.

Sony its doing its thing, but its pretty narrowly focused, which is not my thing. The 770's greatest three assets are its flexibility, its potential, and its accessibility... throws the ******s off, but provides a ton possibilities to the interested/able/willing.

What I dont get is why Nokia, which KNOWS cellphones, hasnt come up with a wireless modem (cell) extension for the 770. Arent most phone companies scared shaitless of voip and merging with digital sevices companies? Which brings me to my point...

Inevitably, the analog phone will die. Cant nokia partner up and kill it first?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we haven't mentioned that this device runs Linux.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/10/m...nder-the-hood/

You are correct. I've been wondering what the os was, I thought for sure sony would use windows. Too bad it's qtopia, this doesn't put us much closer to a skype client on the 770.

QVGA just isn't enough. Heck, I came to the 770 from a VGA Pocket PC and even there the screen was an annoyance, the extra pixels from 640 to 800 in width really is what "makes" the 770 as a browser.

I'm sure the Mylo will sell, it's looking slick and polished. At the end of the day, though, it is nothing special at all - in fact, a nice PDA phone would seem to me like a much better investment.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
The Mylo is total pants in comparison to the 770, but I suspect the Mylo will fair better than the 770 because the buying public is confused by the 770 - it's by Nokia, but it's not a phone; it's a pocket computer, but it's not a PDA; it's an internet tablet, but you need a phone when not at home (and it's by Nokia?! Where's the phone!) etc.

Sony know how to market, and will market the Mylo well, they won't be saddled with the same issues Nokia face, although it will be compared unfavourably to the PSP if it's cr@p at games. Kids will buy Mylo, inquisitive adults with cash burning a hole in their pocket will buy it. It will sell reasonably well for a product in this category, better than the 770 which isn't being marketed well at all.

Maybe the push from Nokia will come with the mkII, whenever that appears - don't leave it too long Nokia, upstarts may be about to clean up. If Sony think the market is ripe for Mylo they obviously see it has significant potential, Nokia need to get the 770 back on track and in front of the right people - other than the lack of keyboard (how about a low cost keyboard/cover attachment?) it wipes the floor with Mylo.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
I don't see the Mylo taking off for a number of reasons:

- $350 is too much for this thing.
- The PSP cost less and a good chunk of the targeted audience of the Mylo already have one.
- The screen is too small for a true browsing experience.
- Being made by Sony, it will likely lock out hackers that want to do more with the device.
- There are a lot of people reluctant to be burnt again by Sony's "evil ways". Does anyone remember the DRM root kit fiasco?

Maybe if the Nokia 770 never happened many of us would jump on this, but then again Sony has been copying its competitors allot lately...
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Last edited by =DC=; 2006-08-12 at 18:43.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by infinitespecter
Gizmodo did a writeup on it, but the Mylo seems to be the first real threat to the 770.
Puhleeze! No BT, tiny screen, Sony treachery...'nough said.

the mylo is an overpriced, under-speced pile of crap....a 2.5" screen?? they've got to be joking!!!

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Seattle, Washington USA
Doesn't Sony make only Proprietary stuff, like Dell does? Just because it "looks" good, does NOT mean it is good.