Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The product planning team is ready to follow the Brainstorm. My only objection to call it "THE OFFICIAL" feedback channel is that people might think that Nokia doesn't do anything else to get feedback (sounds simplistic if you have the lightest idea of how these companies work, but apparently there is a % of people that think "Nokia doesn't listen" unless you have a Nokia employee active in the thread or blog post where the proposal or rant is made).

brainstorm.maemo.org (looking forward for this subdomain, as discussed) must have the same status than bugs.maemo.org. Counting that bugs.maemo.org is being increasingly useful as a feedback channel for bug reporting.
great idea -how about finishing off the apps for the nokia n810 and n800 before hopping to the next new shiny best thing

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The product planning team is ready to follow the Brainstorm. My only objection to call it "THE OFFICIAL" feedback channel is that people might think that Nokia doesn't do anything else to get feedback
Understood, but I was meaning in the context of this site.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
What about stop accepting new feature requests at bugs.maemo.org and even start moving the existing requests when it makes sense?
That's why I sent an email about differentiating between Brainstorm and Bugzilla more clearly when Brainstorm started - for me it's that desktop-wide, non-app-specific requests go to Brainstorm, while app-specific feature requests end up in Bugzilla.

I hope that everybody else also thinks like this, if not please tell & let's discuss. :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
I agree with Andre. Basically if it's a proposal not based on any existing buggable flaw, by default it should be a Brainstorm event.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I do believe proposals specific to a single application should also be discussed in tghe Brainstorm, unless they are simple fixes closer to a bug than anything else and actually taking less time to fix than discuss.

For instace, I think this request about the Email client makes sense in Brainstorm

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...n_imap_server/

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
I also agree with Andre, specific enhancement requests belong in bugzilla while things that are not very clear cut should go through brainstorm first.

For instace, I think this request about the Email client makes sense in Brainstorm

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...n_imap_server/
Good example :-) There really isn't much to brainstorm about this - it's a specific enhancement request about a well understood feature that nearly every other IMAP client has, so it should be (is actually) in bugzilla. The proposed "solutions" (arguing about who implements it or suggesting the use of alternative clients) make this all the more evident IMHO.

On the other hand, here's an example of something much more fuzzy and complex (that I would have submitted to brainstorm if I had even a single idea about how to approach it that didn't suck :-/ ).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
But, but... the whole thing started because we concluded that bugzilla was too frightening for users, even for those with good ideas. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/ was taken as inspiration.

In the setting you are proposing things turn to be even more complicated: most users come up with ideas relative to one specific app so anyway they would be directed to bugzilla, but now they have one degree more of difficulty by figuring out whether their idea is actually beef for the Brainstorm.

No wonder if they end up throwing whatever proposal to Talk, as it happens now.

Also, what about the feature jar: will we need to pay attention to double rankings now?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Bugzilla is not a realistic way for ordinary users to propose any kind of suggestion, specific or otherwise. It's far too complicated. It's fine for professionals and hobbyists but average users who just want to get a specific gripe off their chest need to have some easier way of doing so.

Brainstorm is a much more plausible way of gathering user feedback from a wide range of users.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Developers and power users will typically know to go to Bugzilla with bugs, enhancements and extensions. General users by default should be routed to Brainstorm by "suggestion boxes" that are easy to find (ie, placed in highly contextual situations). If any developers or power users see that a Brainstorm item should be in Bugzilla, then they escalate/repurpose it accordingly.

Simple enough, right?

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Simple enough, right?
Yep, sounds sensible. The problem is making sure the workflow makes this easy for the moderators. But the current brainstorm implementation (a home-grown solution based on midgard) doesn't (AFAICT).

Users need some clear guidance as to how to use it (not technically, but the workflow/what's expected of them/what it's for); existing problems need to be more prominent than creating new ones as that's an easier way in for users (which is why Brainstorm is better than Bugzilla).

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: