Active Topics

So, may be I have missed this, but does Nokia have a timeline when video-calling and MMS will be implemented via a software update? TBH, though these are not features I use occasionally, I feel 'uneasy' that they are not present (especially when a software update can fix them), and when the competitors all have them.

The novelty of having this phone has now waned and I'm starting to carry around my old E71 again due to apps like Google Maps, Garmin Mobile XT, QuickOffice, HandySafe and a couple others :-(

This quickly shows how this platform may not gain popularity sooner or later unless apps somehow show up in the OVI store. (Forget the hobbyist apps here in the extras repo, users like me & many others are willing to pay for apps if and when they are available)

The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
So, may be I have missed this, but does Nokia have a timeline when video-calling and MMS will be implemented via a software update? TBH, though these are not features I use occasionally, I feel 'uneasy' that they are not present (especially when a software update can fix them), and when the competitors all have them.

The novelty of having this phone has now waned and I'm starting to carry around my old E71 again due to apps like Google Maps, Garmin Mobile XT, QuickOffice, HandySafe and a couple others :-(

This quickly shows how this platform may not gain popularity sooner or later unless apps somehow show up in the OVI store. (Forget the hobbyist apps here in the extras repo, users like me & many others are willing to pay for apps if and when they are available)
As from an official interview Nokia said that there will never be support for mms via the firmware updates. Video calling from skype and google is supported in the PR1.2

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
MMS never (official), but they supported the development of fMMS, so it's implemented from a users perspective.

Video calls they never commented upon, but I guess they'll not implement them, either.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Seeing postings like http://techcraver.com/2010/05/25/sky...a-t-mobile-3g/ it should be possible now in PR1.2.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Skype video chat over 3G internet connection is not the same thing as a standard 3G video call.

can we make skype video calls in n900? running on CSSU T, kp51r1.

can we make skype video calls in n900? running on CSSU T, kp51r1.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
legendracer,

Skype video calls have always worked on the n900! Use the contacts app to initiate a skype video call

i tried.... when i tap camera option call disconnects...
i can see the other person, audio is clear...but my front camera doesnt work?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by legendracer View Post
when i tap camera option call disconnects...
I sometimes get that too. I blame the connection quality.

Tags
nokia n900, video call