Active Topics

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
so in other words...if i assemble a team, porting Homeworld to Maemo 5 will now be alot easier and faster ?

The one thing I'm not clear about is "which" framework to use if developing a brand-new app?

All the maemo docs for the SDK point to use GTK+, but then there's QT floating around.

If you want to write a brand new app, and want app to look professional, stable, execute fast, reliable... use GTK or QT if you want to release your app in the next few months?

Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
The one thing I'm not clear about is "which" framework to use if developing a brand-new app?

All the maemo docs for the SDK point to use GTK+, but then there's QT floating around.

If you want to write a brand new app, and want app to look professional, stable, execute fast, reliable... use GTK or QT if you want to release your app in the next few months?
Since they have a beta version out now and since the actual release version is due in Q1 2010 I would develop with QT.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Can someone answer my question regarding Maemo QT development in windows???

Also note that GTK+ has a C API, while Qt is C++.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ San Diego area
Originally Posted by sevla View Post
You can certainly develop Qt apps in Windows, but you can't build an N900-capable binary there, and you presumably won't have access to any of the Hildon-specific Qt functionality.

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Since they have a beta version out now and since the actual release version is due in Q1 2010 I would develop with QT.
Definitely so. After seeing this great video, I'm totally psyched for Qt development

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Caira View Post
You can certainly develop Qt apps in Windows, but you can't build an N900-capable binary there, and you presumably won't have access to any of the Hildon-specific Qt functionality.
given how much nokia makes of the cross-platform angle, it would not surprise me if they want to play down any kind of hildon-specific functionality in qt, At least any thats exposed to the developer, and instead push generic stuff that goes thru a platform specific translation layer or similar...

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
I am also a bit confused at the moment... Can we expect maemo 5-specific Qt documentation any time soon, or how does this work?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by sevla View Post
You can run the SDK in a VM (such as VMware of VirtualBox). Images (which run on Windows) are available, but are right now afaik not yet based on the final SDK. They will be released eventually though. These images are third party; not officially supported by Nokia.

Tags
qt port