Posts: 44 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Vienna / Austria
It's a real pity - this is a standard phone functiuon which should be normal for mobile phones (even more for a smartphone like the N900) !

Hey guys,

I'd love to see a solution to this. When you have more than 100 contacts (and some of us have a lot more than that), it helps a lot to give them categories (family, school, etc). Shouldn't it be trivial to implement a group/category function to the integrated contacts program? I took a look at GRE Contacts, but that doesn't seem to integrate with all of the phone's functionality. Is there a bug report filed for this/ are developers working to add this?

Contacts like hotmail as well..

I get all my phone contacts and E-mails listed together and can't just display one list at a time! I had to disable IM to remove all contacts and leave the phone contacts

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
Its interesting thou that there are groups displayed, meaning there is some functionality for this purpose somewhere. If there is the built-in possibility of "Contacts on SIM" and contacts from IM there must be some way to mark orginial phone contacts somehow.

I would love to dig into this but don't know how to start

I totally agree...
I have a new N900.. but I am not using it at the moment due to the fact that I can't group contacts and screen them as mentioned about..

I am bouncing between my old N95 and my 5800 .. (the addition of timed profiles like on my 5800 would be an added plus for me)..

I really hope there is an update to sort out grouping of contacts sometime soon...
I'd love to have my N900 step up to my main phone..

ozfarang

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
This is certainly needed. Too bad Nokia has officially given up on the N900.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Vienna / Austria
I am not a programmer, but isn't it only to enable a tagging and creating tags for the contacts (like you can do it for the picts as well)?
And then to adapt the profiles so that they refere to these tags?

Or do I miss a big difficulty in this case?

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by kyros View Post
Or do I miss a big difficulty in this case?
The difficult is to sync it with other applications. They are afraid that the groups then are lost. Same problem with the Remarks for different Numbers. (Symbian had it)

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
There is a slight way to do this for SMS.... You can group the people using the Nickname field. Just put a group name, like "Friends" or "CoWorkers" into the Nickname area for people in that group. Then when you go to send an SMS, type that tag into the "TO:" area, and hit the TO button. It will filter to just those with that tag in their name or nickname.

Haven't tried it in other areas much, but may work elsewhere as well.

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
I just release an application that allows for some grouping. It does not address this issue globally but for most cases, I believe, can be pretty helpful.

p.s. I also considered saving the group name as the nickname but decided against. One of the reasons is that skype contacts (and other services) use this field.

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases