Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Ah, moved to Brainstorm. That should be interesting.

Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Meh...I think its "hardware", but even if it isn't, I can't wait to end my $100/mo at&t bill and finalize my cut-over to my $43/mo "unlimited everything" on T-Mo. Especially w/7Mb data.
Where did you find this plan? From t-mobile.com I see unlimited everything is $79.99.

Floffe is 100% correct. cddiede, if it is in fact a hardware issue, then so be it, nothing can be done. I am posting this in the off chance that it is not a hardware issue, or if it is a hardware issue, whether it can be easily edited. I know that different frequencies are obtained and transmitted through varying antennae lengths, so maybe some sort of swap? If someone is well versed in antenna technology, specifically with the N900, I would really appreciate some knowledge dropping.
----Kham

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
Naw, I'm saying that I'd rather pay $10/mo for T-Mobile's 7Mb (and soon to be 21Mb) download speeds vs. $30/mo for AT&T's 800Kb. 99% of my life is spent in a region well covered by T-Mobile (and AT&T), so the switch is an easy one for me.
colango which plan exactly is it thats $10/mo and give you unlimited data? I pay $15 for umlimited data with at&t and use a nokia e71 but would love to go to n900.

Originally Posted by tcostigl View Post
Where did you find this plan? From t-mobile.com I see unlimited everything is $79.99.
Order a "minutes" plan.

When prompted, choose "Standalone SIM card", instead of a phone.

When prompted to choose a "service", choose a $10 web2go internet plan...though your internet traffic may all route through proxy/gateway somewhere in Midwest.

If you need unlimited calling "out" to PSTN for US/Canada, you can use Skype Out, $3/mo., and set your caller ID as your cell phone's #. That or use Google Voice and configure it with a Gvoice/sipgate/sipsorcery configuration, and get all US calls free via data connection.

Last edited by colnago; 2010-01-20 at 18:27.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by Kham View Post
Floffe is 100% correct. cddiede, if it is in fact a hardware issue, then so be it, nothing can be done. I am posting this in the off chance that it is not a hardware issue, or if it is a hardware issue, whether it can be easily edited. I know that different frequencies are obtained and transmitted through varying antennae lengths, so maybe some sort of swap? If someone is well versed in antenna technology, specifically with the N900, I would really appreciate some knowledge dropping.
----Kham
Again, if this were possible to accomplish using hardware hacking methods, it's still damned illegal. That's why all nations license their wireless bands. Having end users transmit willy-nilly across any frequency they want would result in the rapid death of radio as the noise would uncontrollable.

Having said that, I'm sure there are many forums in the vein of Pirate Radio Broadcasters where there exists hackers with this skill set. You just won't ( I pray ) find them on this site.

Order a "minutes" plan.

When prompted, choose "Standalone SIM card", instead of a phone.

When prompted to choose a "service", choose a $10 web2go internet plan...though your internet traffic may all route through proxy/gateway somewhere in Midwest.

If you need unlimited calling "out" to PSTN for US/Canada, you can use Skype Out, $3/mo., and set your caller ID as your cell phone's #. That or use Google Voice and configure it with a Gvoice/sipgate/sipsorcery configuration, and get all US calls free via data connection.
Diabolical. I might have to switch to this. Do you know the difference between the data plans? What actually do they do. For example what is the difference (if any) between "T-Mobile Smartphone Unlimited Web" for $25 and "Unlimited Web" for $10. Do they block stuff?

Originally Posted by tcostigl View Post
Diabolical. I might have to switch to this. Do you know the difference between the data plans? What actually do they do. For example what is the difference (if any) between "T-Mobile Smartphone Unlimited Web" for $25 and "Unlimited Web" for $10. Do they block stuff?
"web2go", per T-Mo(USA) rep, is "designed" for "non-smartphones", as it "offers certain features", and presents data, in a format for said phones. APN may be limited to Internet2.voicestream.com but is good for "at least" 3Mb download speed (Broad St., Philadelphia, below Central/Girl's High)...no oddities in any form of data access, including SIP, w/n900. Again, data seems to be routing out of somewhere near Kansas, per speakeasy.speetest.net. 2nd level tech said Internet2 APN was the "newer" APN, and " is most likely less accessed by less subscribers...but most people should be on the epc APN".

"Smartphone" plan, allows access to epc.tmobile.com APN, and possibly others (I get all 3-4 APNs). Gateway/proxy seems more in line with user's "actual" location. May be more desireable if using time sensitive data connections (VoIP not recommended for circuits with latency above 150ms).

Only thing I have not checked is sling traffic (for my needs anyway) as my Motorola Q only gets 2G speeds w/T-Mo SIM. I also don't use T-Mo right now, as I'm using AT&T w/my 900. I only install the T-Mo SIM to check for 7Mb upgrade in my area, which is still not available.

Last edited by colnago; 2010-01-20 at 19:56.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Originally Posted by floffe View Post
No, T-mobile USA uses W-CDMA 1700MHz (band IV) which is only used there and in Canada. AT&T uses band II (1900MHz) and V (850MHz), which is also used in South America and Australia. Europe mostly uses band I and VIII (2100MHz and 900MHz).
I'm pretty sure Telstra are the only one in Australia with 850MHz

Most of Australia is GSM 900/1800 and 3G 2100 I think optus also have 900Mhz 3G

EDIT:

Oh just found this

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_au.shtml

Last edited by RipTorn; 2010-01-20 at 20:08. Reason: found linky

Everyone take a peak at this. The nice people over at Brainstorm provided me with some FCC docs that I browsed over extensively and looky here--- https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf --Yes, they tested the 850 and 1900 bands on this phone and they seem to be functional, at least in this prototype, now does that mean they are available in the models we have?
---------Kham

Last edited by Kham; 2010-01-21 at 05:25.