Active Topics

Poll: Do you think we should expect voice dialing out of the box on the N900, or can Nokia expect the maem
Poll Options
Do you think we should expect voice dialing out of the box on the N900, or can Nokia expect the maem

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I used voice dialling on my previous phone - nokia E65 and use it on my E71 - when driving, with a bluetooth headset. It "just works" for me. My wife also uses it with her E65.

Just press the button on the headset, the phone greets you with a twiddle sound, speak the name, it dials. press button to hang up.

It's a lot better than phones of a few years ago where you have to teach them the sound for each contact, it's now speaker independent. Quite impressive, actually. When I switched from the original and great 6310i to the E65, I spent ages trying to find out how to teach it before I realised it didn't need it!

The Following User Says Thank You to speculatrix For This Useful Post:
Haha I could never get it to work on my phones (though the last phone I owned before I switched to TMobile recently was 3 years old). I think a combination of my slight accent + fast speaking + unusual names to pronounce pretty much had me giving up on voice dialing.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

No.

You should have added that in the poll too

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Want it, have used it, missed it with the first two iPhones... honestly thought it was going to be included on the N900.

The whole "I don't want it because I've never used it" mantra needs to be retired already.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Hmmm, had it on all of my phones, never used it, so i vote no! - think it all depends on how you use your phone? - not as important to me as most of the other functions

I have no need for voice dialling. There's no option in the poll for that, so I state it here.

i have an E71 and voice dialing was merely a dream that never materialized. it sucks.

Originally Posted by archzai View Post
i have an E71 and voice dialing was merely a dream that never materialized. it sucks.
Mine worked OK. (And works OK on the E75)

It's not great, as it requires some training to be most accurate. Both on your part and the phone's part. It helps me to turn on the name announcement, as it will reliably recognize you when you say the name like the TTS reads it.

Additionally, consistently selecting the correct entry from the popup list (at least for a while) helps adapt it to your voice.

It's not perfect on S60 by any means, but it's certainly useful..most of the time.

ah it actually learns? i never actually used it because i was so taken aback by how hard it is for it to recognize the right name lol. I figured using speed dial was more efficient heh.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
I've seen quite a few posts on here mention that speed dial is more efficient. Regardless of whether you think it is or not whilst driving or cycling you would need a cradle to effectively manage this unless you hold the phone in your hand. As this is illegal in an increasing number of countries this ought really to be addressed at some point to allow the phone to be used.

First option would be a decent cradle and a selection of speed dials. As you would have to look at the screen for this it's a tad less safe IMHO.

Second option allows S60 style functionality via established bluetooth protocols. I know some people have had issues with S60 dialing but most people I know it generally works for. If not then training function?