Notices

Originally Posted by brendan
by the by, i can download images for MM using my proxy server, and setting it for use in the connectivity settings. MM uses the proxy, but i did get a few errors about the url being formatted incorrectly. will have to test without the proxy.
So, you only got URL format errors some of the time? What did the error say?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by gnuite
So, you only got URL format errors some of the time? What did the error say?

I got the same errors with proxy or BT and without proxy over WIFI, it seemed to be random. I cant remember the exact error, but the maps would all be downloaded, so it must retry after it fails?

Sorry I just sent off my 770 to Nokia for repair, or I would give you the message. warranty was about to expire.

Anyway I can confirm the errors just cant reproduce for about 2 weeks, God I hope its only 2 weeks!

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
the error i got was...
"Error in download. Check internet connection and/or URL format"

this seems to be the case regardless of proxy usage. i was looking in the southern pacific ocean for easter island, and could reproduce the error on a consistant basis, when using the proxy and not using the proxy.

i tailed the squid logs as i tried to download maps from the repos. the roadmap images downloaded and rendered quickly and without error. the satellite images did not download and the log showed the following. i switched back and forth to see what was what, and hoped i might get an indicator of the issue.

1164935262.494 406 192.168.1.11 TCP_MISS/200 2032 GET http://www.google.com/sorry/? - DIRECT/64.233.161.99 text/html

this is a page that they give to you if they thing you are spidering the site in an automated fashion. it has one of those "enter the following text to continue" boxes

intermittently, i would get this...

1164936375.069 3847 192.168.1.11 TCP_MISS/302 726 GET http://kh.google.com/kh? - DIRECT/66.102.1.91 text/html

which seems to be a successful get request which is redirected (code 302), but it didnt render.

this is what i got when downloading a roadmap image...

1164936290.889 249 192.168.1.11 TCP_MISS/200 17923 GET http://mt.google.com/mt? - DIRECT/64.233.161.93 image/png

code 200 here shows that all is hunky-dory and the image was downloaded.

HTH...
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

I get that same error message randomly, although downloading of maps continues nonetheless...
"Error in download. Check internet connection and/or URL format"
it usually happens if the download is lagging in a weak edge or gprs zone on my bluetooth phone tethering...

This error has been sort of ubiquitous since 1.3 update...had't encountered it with 1.2 or before...

DCarter

The error message is new to v1.3.x and appears when there is an error in the download process (before, in v1.2.x or earlier, it would just fail silently). 2 retries are performed before it gives up, though, so if it's intermittent, you'll probably still get all your maps.

It's meant to be a warning in case your URL format is busted. If maps are downloading, then you shouldn't have to worry about the warning. I should probably change the error to only be displayed after all retries have failed.

I just paypal'd you $25.00 because of the topo maps I can now backpack with....really fantastic program development, too.

Perhaps the next release will only display error after 3 attempts...

My auto GPS can't hold a candle to mapper.
seriously though, it cant!

DCarter

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
got a question about routes between places. i downloaded a route from one place to another, and it wasnt the best route to take, and i wanted to have the route changed.

i deleted the first waypoint that was past the highway i wanted to take, and re-downloaded the route. the new route was along the path that i wanted. is this the correct way to re-calculate a route. are there other ways to accomplish this?
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Originally Posted by brendan
got a question about routes between places. i downloaded a route from one place to another, and it wasnt the best route to take, and i wanted to have the route changed.

i deleted the first waypoint that was past the highway i wanted to take, and re-downloaded the route. the new route was along the path that i wanted. is this the correct way to re-calculate a route. are there other ways to accomplish this?
Unfortunately, there is no way to control the route that is downloaded. It is based on the directions provided by Google Maps, and it doesn't allow for any specific route options (like avoid highways, etc.).

So, when it comes to "re-calculating" a route, you just have to go with whatever works for you. I don't have any suggestions for the best way to do this.

I've got 1.3.2 installed and it won't open newly created tracks. I'm guessing that it won't open tracks created with 1.3.x. Older tracks (possibly created with 1.2.x) work find but newer ones give "Error parsing GPX file."

And for a future feature request, how about a "download maps along track" option like there is for routes? Often after I go some place new I want to updates the maps for the track I just took.

Thanks for the N770 "killer app"...

Thanks for your work on what is an incredibly useful little application!

I have one quick question, I reckon one little thing you should add is an optional distance scale... I can't see it would be too hard, you obviously know what scale you are looking at when viewing any given map, so it shouldn't be too hard to draw a little scale! (Or does this feature already exist but I'm missing it?)

Another q - recommendations of a small Bluetooth GPS module? I cannot afford the nokia nav pack, and anyway I want to use this with MMapper! who's got this running with a GPS unit, which is the best one to go for? (Or at least can anyone say what GPS units will definitely work with the 770, or will any BT GPS work okay?)

Many thanks!