Just curious if anyone has an update </bump>

Originally Posted by vyper1 View Post
The light is there solely for the purpose of allowing other parties the knowledge that they are being filmed. It is the same on all recording devices (UK anyway) be it your mobile phone or camcorder. Why do you want it disabled unless you like to sneakily film people? I haven't got a problem with the light being on as I'm not hiding in a bush or filming people who dont want to be filmed or not know that they are being filmed. If you need to disable this light then you have to question what exactly is it that you are filming.
We're not from UK, we're from US and we like to film people secretly without showing off your toys with unnessary red light and shutter noises on as if to beg them to give you some unnecessary attention.

Originally Posted by vyper1 View Post
Yes the red light can be annoying at times but it only stays on when shooting video so taking a snap of some paintings isn't really an issue as it's not even activated.
This isn't true. The light also blinks when a still picture is taken.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester UK
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
We're not from UK, we're from US and we like to film people secretly without showing off your toys with unnessary red light and shutter noises on as if to beg them to give you some unnecessary attention.
Cheers that made me no doubt someone will figure this out for you. Goodluck.

BUMP

i want this redlight thing to be removed too and no, duct tape is not the solution as i may need flashlight in some situation and i dont want to remove it every now and then.

funny how this law applies in uk, the "one nation under cctv"... anyway i live in a even less democratic country thats a bigger reason to be allowed to film discretely!

this is just big brothers ******** as someone said before. its not nokia business to decide how i use my camera. to the people saying that filming secretly its just perv stuff i say a big OH DEAR.

there's plenty of good reason to do it actually. like filming documentary for example. like using it to record and report bad situation.

sin is in your eyes not in your camera. the pervs are you. shame!

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vienna, AT
can't you see these numerous cams without the red-light that belongs to the state filming you? stay controlled, but don't document back.

maybe the light can be disabled via the v4l2 library... the app "flashlight" is also able to turn on/off the (white) leds at the cam...

Another use-case scenario: Shooting a movie through glass (a window) or of a reflective surface. The red light is HIGHLY visible and only detracts from the resulting movie.

The Following User Says Thank You to Renesis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 82 | Thanked: 214 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cape town
If you have v4l2-ctl on your device, running a
Code:
./v4l2-ctl -c indicator_intensity=0
after starting to record video will shut off the light.

As for a permanent solution, commenting out the bits in drivers/media/video/adp1653.c that handle the actual setting of the indicator_intensity would do the trick.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to cb22 For This Useful Post:
Any step by step instructions on commenting out the file? Or where the exact location of the file is?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
This whole thread is creepy.