Notices

I'm having a bit of trouble with wifi switcher...when I turn wlan off, all the apps that use automatic packet connections (mail, foreca, etc) stop functioning correctly. Even the browser doesn't want to use an automatic 3G connection. Anybody else got the same problem?

Yup, I have to manually activate the 3G connection in order to go online.

Originally Posted by Xizor View Post
I'm having a bit of trouble with wifi switcher...when I turn wlan off, all the apps that use automatic packet connections (mail, foreca, etc) stop functioning correctly. Even the browser doesn't want to use an automatic 3G connection. Anybody else got the same problem?

farmatito:

I suggest renaming the applet from "Wifi Switcher" simply to "Wi-Fi Switcher" (For app/package name it doesn't matter, but in status area looks ugly). "Wifi" is annoying to me to be honest as it doesn't exist. There is "WLAN" and "Wi-Fi", but "Wifi" makes software look poorly done, even if the code itself is good (which is).

Also, I think that you should make notifications more user-friendly. First of all, the notification for successful disabling should be delivered by:

dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.freedesktop.Notifications /org/freedesktop/Notifications org.freedesktop.Notifications.SystemNoteInfoprint string:'Wi-Fi turned off'

Notice how is the last part different. This dbus call displays only notification, it doesn't require dialog interaction (tapping). For other notifications (if it fails) is ok if it is dialog, but in this case it is not necessary. Also I think that you should avoid upper-case "fail" messages, it looks better if they are normal.

PS: Don't take my message as bad, I'm just trying to help to improve already good software!

The Following User Says Thank You to rooted For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Xizor View Post
i have the same problem, and not only inis version.it seems that the auto connection is related to wifi modules.i'd like to autoconnect every hour without searching wifi, but if i disable wifi auto connection won't happen, even opening web browser manually doesn't works...
is there a workaround for this?
thanks

Does the wifi-switcher help? I have been using it but I am not sure of the purpose it serves. Okay I understand that it's something like disabling your network card in windows.

My question is if I am NOT connected to my wifi network at home would I still drain my battery? I understand that if I am connected to my wifi then my battery will drain but why do I need to use the wifi-switcher for? Does it do something else?

Can somebody explain this?

Posts: 140 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Earth
My understanding is that WiFi Switcher switches off the wireless hardware so its not even scanning/looking for wireless. Hence removes the relative drain off the battery.

N900 - Use, Master, Appreciate.

^Thanks for the reply. See this is what makes me wonder. Only when I click on Internet Connection from the status bar, it actually starts to scan/look for wifi networks so why would I need the wifi switcher unless it does anything else. By default the device is not always scanning for a wifi connection (unless you specify to connect automatically to a wifi network when in range).

Posts: 140 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Earth
My understanding is connecting automatically is one thing but whilst wireless is switched on the module will be active seeking for wifi. Not connecting, just active.

I see wifi switcher the same if not similar to turning off/disabling the wireless on your desktop or laptop. Less processes running, less circuits being powered hence less battery drain.

From the Wifi Switcher Package page on this site -

Quote 'The Wifi on/off switcher is a statusbar plugin that allows to turn off the wifi radio by kernel module unloading to reduce power consumption and thus improves greatly your battery life'

http://maemo.org/packages/view/wifi-switcher/

N900 - Use, Master, Appreciate.

Last edited by Astute; 2010-05-21 at 12:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to Astute For This Useful Post:
^Makes total sense now. Thanks Astute!

Last edited by xuggs; 2010-05-21 at 22:07. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by rooted View Post
farmatito:

I suggest renaming the applet from "Wifi Switcher" simply to "Wi-Fi Switcher" (For app/package name it doesn't matter, but in status area looks ugly). "Wifi" is annoying to me to be honest as it doesn't exist. There is "WLAN" and "Wi-Fi", but "Wifi" makes software look poorly done, even if the code itself is good (which is).

Also, I think that you should make notifications more user-friendly. First of all, the notification for successful disabling should be delivered by:

dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.freedesktop.Notifications /org/freedesktop/Notifications org.freedesktop.Notifications.SystemNoteInfoprint string:'Wi-Fi turned off'

Notice how is the last part different. This dbus call displays only notification, it doesn't require dialog interaction (tapping). For other notifications (if it fails) is ok if it is dialog, but in this case it is not necessary. Also I think that you should avoid upper-case "fail" messages, it looks better if they are normal.

PS: Don't take my message as bad, I'm just trying to help to improve already good software!
Can you provide me a short guide to where/which files have to be changed to incorporate the suggested changes? The original author doesnt seem to be interested..