Originally Posted by GLeoni
Just got my 770 Saturday. Connects flawlessly to my network (D-Link). Works great except.....when going to other parts of town, my device sees other open/unlocked wi-fi networks, connects to these networks (per the connection manager), however, when trying to surf the web, states "network problem". I am unable to surf the web. This has happened to atleast 30-40 wi-fi networks. Any suggestions
Are you sure those networks are not internal networks i.e. don't have access to the internet? Just a thought..

I haven't had any problems with the connection quality, just wish that WPA-PSK would work with my D-Link router.

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
I also have unstable wifi connection (reported to Nokia). I think that the problem is the opposite of what people think, however. My 770 has very, very high sensitivity. Much better than my powerbook, for example. So it picks up more networks, and presumably more interference.

At my home my 770 detects at least 4 networks and I have unstable connections. If you have stable connections, how many networks does your 770 see?

Another possibility is that I have a problem with WPA-PSK. It works (on my Netgear router), but maybe this is the reason why the connection is unstable.

Originally Posted by Jerome
I also have unstable wifi connection (reported to Nokia).
Which firmware version are you running ?

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
How do I know? In device, "About product" reports:
"Version: 2.2005.45-7"
I think this is the latest version, but I could be mistaken.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Hi!
I have a dlink DI-614 and had problems until I changed to enter key in hex in the control panel. Before the 770 would connect to router but when trying access tthe net I'd recive a network error. Now everything works.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by GLeoni
Just got my 770 Saturday. Connects flawlessly to my network (D-Link). Works great except.....when going to other parts of town, my device sees other open/unlocked wi-fi networks, connects to these networks (per the connection manager), however, when trying to surf the web, states "network problem". I am unable to surf the web. This has happened to atleast 30-40 wi-fi networks. Any suggestions ?

Cheers,

Greg
I experienced that same issue. Eventually, I realized that the 770 is very good at picking up "ad hoc" wireless networks that appear just to be laptop or desktop Wi-Fi cards that are broadcasting an SSID. While most folks don't do it, I guess it's possible to network two or more computers in a simple network using Wi-Fi cards alone. So, if you can't connect, and it says "ad hoc" network in connection manager, you're probably connecting to someone's Wi-Fi card instead of access point.

BTW, I have had no trouble connecting to access points at Panera Bread, Starbucks, America West's frequent flyer club at Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix. Also no problem with my Apple 802.11g Airport at home. However, I was never able to connect to the Hyatt Regency wireless network in Phoenix. Worked fine with my Powerbook, but no luck on the 770. Would see the access point. I would try to connect and immediately get bounced. Any thoughts?

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
Originally Posted by Jerome
How do I know? In device, "About product" reports:
"Version: 2.2005.45-7"
I think this is the latest version, but I could be mistaken.
Actually it's 2.2005.45-8 from http://www.maemo.org/downloads/nokia_770.php

That's the version I'm running but I'm seeing disconnects from my unsecure Apple Airport Extreme on a frequent basis (I've been ssh'ing into my 770). This despite setting the timeout on the WLAN tonnection to "unlimited".

I also have 2.2005.45-7. What is the difference between 2.2005.45-7 and 2.2005.45-8?

Originally Posted by bradb
That's the version I'm running but I'm seeing disconnects from my unsecure Apple Airport Extreme on a frequent basis (I've been ssh'ing into my 770)
From the 770 shell, could you tell us what dmesg says right after being disconnected ? would be quite helpful.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
Originally Posted by Samuel
From the 770 shell, could you tell us what dmesg says right after being disconnected ? would be quite helpful.
Doh! ok, just to clarify: my network problem seems to only occur when I'm using ssh from my TabletPC. After the connection drops I can go back to the 770 and re-connect the WLAN connection.

The ssh session seems to still be alive if I do it fast enough.

Of course, as I write this I spent the past 15 minutes connected and the problem didn't surface <sigh> Oh well, I'll check as soon as it drops again.

(hmm... I was using 'hcitool' too, maybe that's it?)