Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by krk969 View Post
Firstly , I want to make it clear, Im not against testing or QA , I understand the importance of this quite as much as anyone spending more time with S/W than with human beings.

Having said that, I believe its much "easier"(for the lack of a better word ATM) to doctrine the QA process and perform testing of the app than actually develop and maintain one, just considering the fact that is all being done for free (QA included) !
Im not against having a stricter procedure for paid apps however ( I know I'll be blasted for this )
Many little comments that our dear QA leave and give thumbs down too will no doubt "better" the apps, but thats also delaying many good apps and letting down developers somewhere down the line ( be honest here )

Im all for making this the best platform ever for mobile devices, and I seriously think we need better apps than an amazon widget or a weather guide in our portfolio and quick, not next year !
Encouraging paid apps is the other half, which is being discussed elsewhere, the problems with the infrastructure, ovi support etc etc.

All Im saying is we need to reconsider , be a little lenient towards free apps, and they are flagged down for only serious issues, and not for using wrong widgets or colors or buttons being out of place.
You want everybody to follow rules in a free world is going to be a bit challenging.
Apple/Android may have rules but there the dev know they get rewarded for following rules.

Again, I didnt want to change this into a QA vs DEV war or even say that QA is not needed and we need to pass all apps into extras, just saying we need to be a little more cautious in firing dev who do the software purely in the interest of the platform development or for their karma in life
so you are suggesting that we must have everything done quick and dirty to extras? lame argument but how many apps have you found at app store that has those misplaced buttons etc?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
(thumbing down and re-quarantining just because of that is just plain overkill), but still no conclusion there.
I agree with that. How is bugtracker link embedded in the package going to improve for example this one
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...llpaper/1.1-1/ ?

Package could be promoted to extras and the maintainer could add the bugtracker link afterwards to downloads. Now he has to upload it again and wait 1-2 months.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
so you are suggesting that we must have everything done quick and dirty to extras? lame argument but how many apps have you found at app store that has those misplaced buttons etc?
i agree with what you are saying and just because the app is free we should not expect it to be lower quality, however i for one would not thumbs down a devs hard work on an app just because of misplaced buttons! if the app was unusable because of this then thats another story. otherwise i would give it a thumbs up and then open an enhancement or get in touch with the dev.

i also agree that a bug tracker should be mandatory however why cant bugs.maemo.org host all apps bug tracker. as someone else said here why cant the be created automatically as part of the application release process - either to extras dev or extras testing. that way at least you are guaranteed a consistent bug system across all apps!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jer006 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by jer006 View Post
i also agree that a bug tracker should be mandatory however why cant bugs.maemo.org host all apps bug tracker. as someone else said here why cant the be created automatically as part of the application release process - either to extras dev or extras testing. that way at least you are guaranteed a consistent bug system across all apps!
Getting bug reporting onto the devices is a major goal of mine, and I can use all the help I can get (that includes you, Attila buddy!). Draft presentation below:

http://maemo-daemons.org/MeeGo_User_..._Framework.pdf

I am trying to create a working group page at the MeeGo.com wiki but failing miserably to find out how...

The concepts apply equally to Maemo or MeeGo.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
you were too quick to read perhaps
thats not what Ive said.

*EDIT*
...and I agree with jer006 tomake the bugtracker link automated during packaging if it has to be mandatory.
Travelapp - london underground status/planner ( website )
Batlevel - desktop widget for battery level ( website )

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Last edited by krk969; 2010-03-03 at 15:34.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I guess i better give notice here then that i've been pointing to a Talk thread in the bugtracker field of my recent apps. I actually expect to get more feedback about problems that way.

Feel free to burn/flay as desired.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
I agree with Texrat's point, If there was a built in application on the device itself which facilitated the creation of bugs/enhancements within bugzilla and an automated bug tracker created for all apps when released into extras-dev this would solve the problem.

The document you linked Texrat was perfect, I was not sure about the flowchart though for the application usage - is this optional as I dont know about surveys and usage popups!! I agree it will provide useful information if people take the survey but I would rather avoid nagware and popups where possible... Buzzard is where this shines though as it could capture so much additional information from the device which makes the bug entry so much more valuable to the devs - rather than relying on individual users to know how access and upload log files etc... Buzzard should also be available to users as a standalone application to log bugs in cases where the application does not crash too though.

There are too many manual steps right now which put off the average user who dabbles a bit here and there - for example the brainstorm feature is great but after creating a brainstorm you have to go and manually create the talk thread and manually link the thread back to the brainstorm. All great ideas and not exactly hard work but enough to put off the average user!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jer006 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jer006 View Post
The document you linked Texrat was perfect, I was not sure about the flowchart though for the application usage - is this optional as I dont know about surveys and usage popups!!
EVERY aspect of this proposal is optional, which is why I show a configuration applet on the "user experience settings example" slide.

RevdKathy provided some useful feedback to help me clarify aspects of the presentation and I will have that updated later today. Feedback always welcome!

EDIT: I have also updated the presentation based on your feedback jer006. Thanks.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-03-03 at 16:07.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Getting bug reporting onto the devices is a major goal of mine, and I can use all the help I can get (that includes you, Attila buddy!). Draft presentation below:

http://maemo-daemons.org/MeeGo_User_..._Framework.pdf
Hey, this is pretty good (not that I doubted for a second ). How can I help (or did you just mean general comments, in which case I need to get my coffee first ) ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Attila, you remember my email from a while back on this? Instead of a whitepaper I'm doing it in presentation format... but either way I could sure use your input on technical details!