Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Some of us put what little we can into retirement accounts, and it doesn't make us rich. Not even close. In fact here in the US, most of us lost our retirement thanks to the actions of the frivolous rich.

There's a connection in there to Palm's misfortunes, too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
-27%,96, or what bloody day at stockmarket looks like.

leetut in america many of the things we europeans expect society to provide are privatized. Even relatively low income people have investments like 401k plans.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
Thats not a good reason to spend millions, a solution to solving the problem you describe could be done with minimizing the n900 multitasking cards to 3 wide (or 2 wide) and scrolling.

I cant see any reason for Nokia to buy Palm. I can see a reason for Intel to though.
It would be easier on the eyes but wouldn't it defeat the purpose of the "snapshot" effect? i mean. as it stands now, i can type one lil icon when ever i want and imediately see every single app that is running on my phone and easily switch between them as i please.

Would it be time consuming to have to scroll through multiple pages of cards to get to the application that you are looking for?

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
They don't really have that. Only in NA, and even there it has gotten awfully low and keeps dropping.

Before Samsung's Bada and Microsoft's WM7 announcements that might have made sense. Now there's really nobody left that would need Web OS.

As Texrat said, they have some interesting PDA/handheld IP. I don't really expect anybody to buy Palm before banktruptcy. That would add lot of extra costs that would come from winding down Palm's business and sacking most of employees. Once they go bust a flock of vultures will land for a meal.
Palm has one good thing going for them. the design of the pre. it has an asthetic quality unparalled save the iphone with its simplistic yet stylish design. there arent many phones out there worth looking at. palm pre and pixi are two of them, aside from those two... sheesh palm still makes cell phones?

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Now, they doesn't have anything to compete. Around 2 years ago they bought Linux company (I forget that it was - Zaurus or else) but they doesn't deliver Linux up today.

... Instead of it they turned to WinMo... and that was a slide down.

It was BeOS, which had amazing possibilities for there next device. Sadly it never bared any fruit quick enough.

Palm OS Cobalt introduced modern operating system features to an embedded operating system based on a new kernel with multitasking and memory protection, a modern multimedia and graphic framework (derived from Palm's acquired BeOS), new security features, and adjustments of the PIM file formats to better cooperate with Microsoft Outlook.
Even though I wasn't gonna get one anytime soon, I was still rooting for them. Hopefully some of the employees make a startup and use meego and there base os with palm like UI..

x

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I think it would be nice if Nokia acquired their work on the cards. It would make a nice replacement for the task manager since the current one on the N900 gets tiny as you increase the number of running apps.
I don't know about implementing Cards as the sole task manager, but I wouldn't mind if you can toggle between maemo's task manager and Cards. Perhaps simply implemented as a toggle button in one of the free corner when task manager is called.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
An epic "what could have been": Palm came out with the Folio right around the time the world was waking up to the fact that there was such a thing as a netbook & they wanted it. Unfortunately, Folio was not that netbook -- it had to be tethered to a Palm smartphone to do anything interesting. So close and yet so far.
iirc, palm was never clear about the mail program being sync with phone only, or able to operate on its own.

also, they never actually released. Instead they caved under the pressure of a questioning press (especially engadget was leaning on them). Yet the same press went crazy over the asus eeepc when it was released, when it was basically the same product, except it used a x86 cpu rather then a arm cpu.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by xman View Post
It was BeOS, which had amazing possibilities for there next device. Sadly it never bared any fruit quick enough.

Even though I wasn't gonna get one anytime soon, I was still rooting for them. Hopefully some of the employees make a startup and use meego and there base os with palm like UI..

x
at the time, palm was two companies, mainly to avoid issues with antitrust as they where licensing the os to third parties while also selling devices using said os.

problem was that the os company came up with cobalt, but as garnet had the market time it had, noone wanted to jump to cobalt as it had no way to run the existing software library.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Reading this new Palm CEO interview made even more sure that Palm is a dead man walking.

Might be because the interview is for american media, but he seems to see all troubles related to network provider support. Trying to import the american carrier focused model outside USA has been one of Palm's biggest mistakes, and it seems that the guy in charge still don't get it. It has barely worked for Apple, and I think Nokia woud in much bigger trouble if Steve could think outside the american box. Palm simply doesn't have the brand strenght to pull that trick off, not even as far as Apple has managed. It's not even close. Somebody tell him that USA is only 20% of total smartphone market. Palm RIP.

On the positive side for Palm stockholders; rumours about HTC/ASUS/random taiwanese corporation buying Palm have caused 20%+ boost to stock price.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Palm pre just had a pretty UI from what I played with and sub 3.5" screen. It wasn't really denting the blackberry or iphone fortes. None of the rumoured successors have come out and they are even smaller. Just my two cents.