Active Topics

Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Yes, agreed.

Also, if Nokia was really clever they would learn one thing from apple and that is by keeping all models as physically similar as possible it really helps the third party accessory makers. Go into a phone shop and it is full of iPhone accessories - in large part due to the fact every accessory is compatible with every iPhone so the market is not fragmented.

So i really hope they do all they can within the same case before they make changes. Those changes can be their enemy.

wouldn't matter. your going have the problem anyway since meego is suppose to be put on anywhere from tvs, netbooks, tablets, phones, mid.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-03-25 at 21:58.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
i like the tactility of the n900's qwerty keyboard. a device that is less half thick than the n900 might have also less tactile keyboard imho

my basis in on the n97.

half as thick = bad battery life..
i doubt you'll be able to find a smartphone that is slim

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Patola View Post
Somehow people continue to mention these weigt and thickness like they are unanimously bad things. I think the thicksness is important, it makes the device more robust, sturdy, less breakable. We have bodies full of non-straight-lines, and a somewhat thick device has a better chance to survive in the back pocket of your pants or somewhere else.

The same goes for weight.
Agreed, and the same goes for "pocketable". I was remembering that I spent my entire junior high and high school and college years carrying a spiral notebook that was about the size of a (wince) iPad. It never bothered me. I did try a smaller notebook that fit in my pocket a few times, but it was too small.

I carried it on the bus every day, and I often had a briefcase too, filled with heavy books. I don't know where people suddenly got this idea that they couldn't carry things with them. Look at depictions of cavemen? As often as not they are carrying spears or clubs with them, at the very least. (How about a spear-shaped laptop, that would be cool.)

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
could it be the elusive RX-71 ?

Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
i like the tactility of the n900's qwerty keyboard. a device that is less half thick than the n900 might have also less tactile keyboard imho

my basis in on the n97.
That was failed design by Nokia's part. N97 mini got the qwerty fixed while being slimmer than N97. E71 that i believe is still world thinnest qwerty smartphone with 9.9mm got great tactile qwerty.
Motorola Droid is probally lacking even more with the tactile feedback than N97. So i guess it could be argued that it might be harder to make, but in everyway possible as shown by E71 or N97 mini for example.

I wouldn't mind N900 to be thicker either, if it would have twice the battery capacity.
Mugen-power-battery for N900 will make N900 thicker, but it is not too big still to keep in front pocket of jeans. Unfortunately Mugen had that design flaw and microSD-card-slot is not working with that system.
edit:They are redesigning the back cover now, so microSD cards would work (got email).

Last edited by zimon; 2010-03-25 at 23:27.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
It matters not a jot to me as the N900 will jolly well have to last me till any new N(whatever)/successor has had at least 3 firmware updates! ;-)....

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
well, maybe two :-)

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Just got a reply from "Eldar" that the next maemo/meego device is ready to be launched this summer. I further asked him about screen size and he did not want to spill that information yet.

Hoping a tablet with at least 4.3" screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post: