Active Topics

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by mannakiosk View Post
I don't think this is fair, because nowadays consumer culture is pretty mainstreamed, so it is reasonable (however silly that may seem) for some not too technological person, to assume all sorts of things.
hey even if you do the homework! Before buying my n900 I red everything that had been published online, and still no reviews or any pre-users commented on the PIM other than it didn't sport categories.

if you visit Nokias marketing site it lists full PIM function http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications/ (and i think it is reasonable to presume it will be at least on par with a S40 phone.)

visit http://maemo.nokia.com/features/calendar/ and they tell you it syncs and it supports tasks (but it docent support tasks, every pda or phone made to date that sports tasks, sports the name and the description, it just the n900 that only supports task names.)

but had anyone made a note about the limited PIM I would have held off until palm made a GSM phone with an auto focus camera, or Nokia added, PIM search and Task descriptions.

With all do respect, I'll have to say this:

Not everybody likes iphones and android phones. Surprisingly, I know! The day nokia phones are just like those is the day I won't buy nokia phones any more.

Everybody seems to know what the biggest phone manufacturer, with symbian still the biggest player in the smartphone os field has to do to *catch up* the competition.

The Following User Says Thank You to icebox For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
The community started off as Internet Tablet Talk by Reggie for Nokia Internet tablet enthusiasts to communicate to each other. It was primarily a crowd with alot of tech know how, or at least willingness to learn or ask for help nicely if they didn't know how to do it themselves. It's because of this community that when I was looking at an iPod Touch versus the n800 when I first joined this website that I decided on the n800. The community provided alot of support, and gave the tablet devices the ability to do what I was looking for in a mobile device. There were always a few people who were (or still are) vocal about what the tablets could do or not do, though not to the way it is now. I think even those vocal members probably find most of the newer individual's style of ranting and raving to be quite irritating and a waste of space.

It was with the beginning of the N900 that it was turned from internettabletalk to maemo.org with Nokia sponsoring the site by paying for the server hosting (because they were interested in the community and its developers).

I think the community has gotten alot less tolerable now (partially due to the high influx of people who are not as patient and well annoying). Which I personally can't fault them with. There's individuals who don't want to read posts to figure out how to do things (and then complain when nobody will help them or complain about the developer or the program. Keep in mind that this is after a developer and other members of the community have likely answered, and re-answered the question several times in the thread). There's people who don't understand the difference between the different platforms (X platform has this, why doesn't the N900? OMG THE N900 suckz). And so many more reasons.

There also seems to be a misconception that Nokia pays attention to this
site. While Nokia does have a few individuals like Qgil who look at the site from time to time, your honestly more likely to be heard on the Forum.Nokia.com site (link to the right) than on here. It's also unlikely that Nokia even pays attention to posts, since posters tend to convey their displeasure so poorly it looks like a pointless angry rant.

That's partially why I classify new people on any forum, game, community, etc.. into two categories. N00bs, people who don't want to learn, and are just a general nuisance. I've given up on helping these people.

And the good kind, newbies. People who are willing to learn (or may not understand the way the community works, but are willing to at least try to integrate into the community). It's these people that I think a forum like maemo.org needs.

And on a side note, one thing that's been bothering me is posts like "implement this feature or get the application to this point and then I'll donate". Besides money being a terrible motivator when an individual is doing things out of their own personal desire (see tons of psychology research). Why is it "and then I'll donate". Why not donate because you appreciate the developers' existing work? Why not donate because the developer makes an effort to communicate with the community?
This forum was the only reason most of us got the n900. Nokia better start reading this forum and address our grievances . I have nothing against the community. But i think Nokia should start giving some attention to consumer rants here. I love my n900 but things like no USSD codes kind of makes me cringe thinking they mass released a phone without such an important feature( Step 4 of 5 was always clear to me, but that in no ways justifies leaving out USSD).

The Following User Says Thank You to mymo900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by mymo900 View Post
This forum was the only reason most of us got the n900. Nokia better start reading this forum and address our grievances .
why don't you and other people take there grievances to Nokia support forum and give feedback instead of complaining on a community forum and expecting nokia to read every single post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I've been here since I found this place when I had some problems with my Nokia 770. The ol' ITT (internettablettalk.com) days. I resisted the N800, which I could have bought cheaply when CompUSA went out of business... but because of here, I knew about the N810. I bought the N810, with a discount... because of this site. And have remained here because each problem I've had, the answer resided here. Even Google would point me back here.

When it came down to the N900, once the screen-size came out, I stuck around hoping that the N910/N920 would be released. Never happened. So now... I'm waiting to see what MeeGo brings to the table. Tablet? I hope so. Another phone? I hope not.

But... the misspell in the title bothers me... it's spelled "Maemo", not Meamo.

Continue on.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
...the misspell in the title bothers me... it's spelled "Maemo", not Meamo.
Fixed.

Posts: 126 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Italy
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
no phone is built to please everyone. the n900 has its market. if they'd change it, maybe this target group would be disappointed. you have to buy what you want - not expect other peoples' phones.
I totally agree. Could it be just a little bit wider?

I understand that the members of this community are a helpful lot and cannot resist responding to people who they think have genuine grievances with their maemo devices.

But THESE are NOT genuine grievances. Kindly abstain from encouraging irresponsibe threads/posts.

You are feeding the trolls, and there are no two ways about it.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
hey even if you do the homework! Before buying my n900 I red everything that had been published online, and still no reviews or any pre-users commented on the PIM other than it didn't sport categories.

if you visit Nokias marketing site it lists full PIM function http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications/ (and i think it is reasonable to presume it will be at least on par with a S40 phone.)

visit http://maemo.nokia.com/features/calendar/ and they tell you it syncs and it supports tasks (but it docent support tasks, every pda or phone made to date that sports tasks, sports the name and the description, it just the n900 that only supports task names.)

but had anyone made a note about the limited PIM I would have held off until palm made a GSM phone with an auto focus camera, or Nokia added, PIM search and Task descriptions.
just one tip to make your life better in the future:

do not presume.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Tags
community, search first, yawn