There is nothing in the kernel to reduce frequency from 600MHz under load. I bet there is also none in user space, as it does not make sense to put it in user space. I ran simple program to use 100% cpu time for 3 hours, and all 3 hours were at 600MHz. If your metalayer-crawler (or any other program) goes crazy, and you put the N900 to charge and go to sleep, then it spends all the night in 600MHz (and 1.375V), and generates a lot of heat. It must have happened to thousands of people, yet we do not here about so many dead N900s, therefore the N900 must be a bit less sensitive to heat than you imagine.

System heat is a bad argument against overclocking. There are a few worse heat generators in the N900, including the battery and the UMTS radio.

In addition - for a given task the heat generation is almost independent of frequency, since power used is proportional to frequency, but time needed is inversely proportional. Heat increases proportionally to square of voltage, and most overclockers use lower voltage then default Nokia settings, thus using less power, and generating less heat.

Of course, some activities (such as some games or video playing) might use the additional frequency to do more, and thus generate more heat for apparently the same work. But for more normal tasks (such as web browsing), overclocking results in less heat generated and less battery used, as almost any overclocker reports.

Droid, with the same CPU, designed by Motorola for running at a maximum of 550MHz is already being overclocked for over 3 months, without any reported ill effects.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
Well I have AMD Phenom 9950 on my desktop, it is running @2.6Ghz 1.3V stock. I can overclock it to 2.8Ghz by increasing multiplier, if I go further my PC will crash, so 8% increase with no voltage adjustment. I could put it to 1.45V and go as high as 3.2Ghz but temp. increase is just insane after every 0.05V you do. If you undervolt or increase frequency without increasing voltage there is no extra heat. Underclocing dramatically reduces heat - FACT. Do not forget that this is 140W X86 CPU, but it still is a CPU - even though different architecture. I see A LOT of potential in that A8, Apple's iPad got one @1Ghz, no prob there. I ran it @1Ghz the speed increase is amazing. That is 40% faster with stock voltage (Titans ULV Kernel)
EDIT:
When almost idle it runs undervolted at 250Mhz which equals less heat, when on high load it does things in shorter period of time and goes back to 250 therefore less time high voltage and frequency, IMHO overclocing even extends life of your N900.

Last edited by esthreel; 2010-04-25 at 20:08.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Using titan's new kernel, even 550mhz uses less voltage than stock Nokia kernel did at 250mhz. The word overclocking seems to cause bad vibes. We are running the cpu more efficiently and cooler than Nokia's stock kernel ever did. So please, do your homework before swearing at the 'overclockers'. Not everyone is dumb and overclocking is nothing new. That Nokia engineer dude actually said frequency is not the problem. It's the high voltages that Nokia's stock kernel uses. My cpu right now uses less voltage at 950mhz than what your non overclocked cpu uses at 600mhz. Nokia is the one actually overclocking the cpu by over volting the cpu heavily from 550mhz onwards. I'll bet my cpu runs much cooler with less stress at 850mhz than stock N900 at 600mhz.

Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Locking the processor at 500/550/600 will fry the device!!!
Don't lock it, the device knows what to do on its own.
thing is, you say locking the processor WILL FRY the device. while i agree lifespan in an overclocked chip is reduced, but to say the your device WILL FRY is unfounded and unproven! yeah its a new thing to n900, but n900 is a new thing!
altho in the way using the device in an out of the box condition will shorten your life span the moment you turn it on, so why dont you just say using your devce will fry it?

ppl are pushing the limits running at 1100+ if the chip was a delicate as you are trying to infer would some surely have blown by now?

i am however stating that while clocking will shorten lifespan i believe that the gains outway the life hit. if done sensibly.

so answer why it is not dangerous to run stock mhz and voltage with the phone maxed out for long periods, gaming for example?

is it not stupid and dangerous for you to use a usb charger and have the phone sat @ 500mhz for long periods?

That was the N97, not the N900, get your facts right

hmmm, facts......you are saying the n900 was complete and finished at release??? its nowhere near that now even.....
dude, remove those rose coloured specs.....

Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Dude, please.
Just do all of us who think a favor, and stfu.
i think you are a little bit rude and uncultured. young man.
i'm stating my opinion as my opinion, where as you are cramming your'e opinion down our throats as facts.

but as it is said, arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics, even if you "win" you are still ******ed.............

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Using titan's new kernel, even 550mhz uses less voltage than stock Nokia kernel did at 250mhz. The word overclocking seems to cause bad vibes. We are running the cpu more efficiently and cooler than Nokia's stock kernel ever did. So please, do your homework before swearing at the 'overclockers'. Not everyone is dumb and overclocking is nothing new. That Nokia engineer dude actually said frequency is not the problem. It's the high voltages that Nokia's stock kernel uses. My cpu right now uses less voltage at 950mhz than what your non overclocked cpu uses at 600mhz. Nokia is the one actually overclocking the cpu by over volting the cpu heavily from 550mhz onwards. I'll bet my cpu runs much cooler with less stress at 850mhz than stock N900 at 600mhz.
you cannot get accurate data about device temperature unless you open the covers up and stick a temperature sensor to multiple places. but then again airflow is changed significantly because no covers are on.... so I'd take those "more efficiently and cooler" -arguments with a 10 ton pile of salt.
(e: and I mean when talking with scientifically measurable, repeatable etc terms, not in "I got a feeling" -level used by the overclockers)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

In contrast to the very scientific "Nokia said" method used by anticlockers.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by baron von bubba View Post
titans kernel with "ideal" settings has 500 idle and seems to me a much nicer option all round, less stuttering and believe it or not, better battery life too.
queen beecon can be used for simple commands as "widgets"
the things on the right are clock settings that i can alter just by pressing them. the black ones at the top and bottom show me what is running at the time, high and low mhz and they update by clicking or when the desktop is refreshed.
I think the "up_threshold" and "sampling_rate" setting makes it more responsive - it'll up the frequency sooner, and checks more often.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
you cannot get accurate data about device temperature unless you open the covers up and stick a temperature sensor to multiple places. but then again airflow is changed significantly because no covers are on.... so I'd take those "more efficiently and cooler" -arguments with a 10 ton pile of salt.
(e: and I mean when talking with scientifically measurable, repeatable etc terms, not in "I got a feeling" -level used by the overclockers)
The other way to do it is to remove the battery, and connect a bench supply (with T bias to trick the phone). Then you can see power consumption (and hence heat production) very accurately as it happens. Wont affect air flow much. (Been intending to do this for a while - just need some time!)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phedders For This Useful Post:
Surely this argument is mute, we all know that overclocking a device will reduce the life of the CPU, the try crux of the problem is by how long. Anyone who has ever owned a pc running a sempron proccessor will know that overclocking just means more noise from the cpu fan.

Every phone I have had lasted for more than 2 years easily, my k800 is still going, now I didn't overclock the cpu on that and I assume that the phone will no doubt beceome defunct technology wise before it dies, so if I overclock my n900 and it dies in 4 years time, yes I reduced the battery life by x years but as Im sure many people on this site will agree is come the end of those four years some new nokia smart phone will be about and an upgrade to that will be in order... bring on the overclocking etc. and so the cycle repeats.

Also Im sure there is a thread somewhere on this site monitoring the impact of overclocking...

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
In contrast to the very scientific "Nokia said" method used by anticlockers.
well, there must be someone who designed the device in the first place. designer (whose name is known) vs user account in the internet.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search