Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
I understand the need for "pauses" for entering extensions, and navigating ACD trees, but why would Skype as a whole fail because of the absence of that feature? Just setup the Skype entry to not have the pauses/extensions, and read them off the Cellular entry before dialing. The majority of the dialing will be automated via Skype, and the subsequent digits will be readily visible prior to the call.

Besides, Skype is going to roll out "party line" video calls, which will allow up to 5 connections on a video call.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...chat/?news=123
Hi colnago,
not sure i understand, are you suggesting i remove all DMF tones from the contact number or add a new number to the contact list?

all I want is a what to dial a number in skype. and still keep the DMF tones for dialling in on a GSM network. (i can enter it manually but skype dosen't even dial the number.)

Originally Posted by tirtawn View Post
You can. But you just have to press the number slowly. I use skype out from desktop. and works fine for the extention or conference call.
i am talking about dialling from the contacts in my address book.

Originally Posted by nermaljcat View Post
I use SkypeOut and SkypeIn on my n900 everyday. My SkypeIn numbers are Australian and US.

When at home, I call using skype out over WiFi (3G when out). It costs a fraction of my regular prepaid rates - I pay ~$10/month for more than enough prepaid 3G data on my n900, and barely touch the broadband usage.

Skype Video in PR1.2 is going to kick ***. When I'm in the US on a trip, I'll be able to call home and 'see' my wife and boy.

Skype was one of the main reasons I bought a n900 - second only to Linux and the goodies that brings (VPN, SSH, root access etc).
i love this you use it like i do but 30% of my numbers wont dial because they have a "p" pause for the PSTN extension after the number. rendering this incredible feature frustrating.

I only use Skype out, I never place normal GSM/UMTS calls. The only problem I encountered is the inability to redial a number in the call log using Skype. That is a bit annoying so I will look for this particular bug and vote vor it

V..

Perhaps someone will write you a dbus script that sends through the dmtf tones to navigate the menus once the call is put through.

That would work regardless of transport...

Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
try this below MohammadAG - this works with GSM dialling but not SIP or Skype -
please explain how this is defines as "not broken"
2. a contact with a number with "p" or "'" in it can not be dialled fromusing skype.

3. eg. +1604 555 5555 p 333 ("p" denotes a pause before dialling the DTMF 333)
You're making a mistake here. You're assuming that "p" means something other than "p". That was true (kind of) when you're connected to POTS. It does not mean anything in SIP/skype world. "+16045555555p333" is an identifier. If I want to call "+16045555555p333@my.domain", I want to call exactly that address. There is no pause, because p is just a normal character.

These uri-s are completely legal and completely different:

"sip:+16045555555p333@my.domain"
"sip:+16045555555@my.domain"
"sip:some_string_with_letter_p_and_others@my.domai n"

The same thing is probably acceptable in skype. What you're asking to implement would break existing, correct functionality. That's why it cannot be "fixed".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to viraptor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
I ONLY use my N900 as a Skype in/out handset. No voice/texting plan on it, only data. I haven't tried it in a while, but I think the only limitation I had was I couldn't send DTMF tones? Maybe this is fixed and I just don't know about it though, I've honestly not tried since I found out the phone doesn't support doing that.

Wish Skype had video support though.

Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
Hi colnago,
not sure i understand, are you suggesting i remove all DMF tones from the contact number or add a new number to the contact list?

all I want is a what to dial a number in skype. and still keep the DMF tones for dialling in on a GSM network. (i can enter it manually but skype dosen't even dial the number.)
Every contact has an entry for dialing via "Cellular" or "Skype".

The Cellular entry would contain all the digits/pauses, the Skype entry, would contain only the main number.

The main number can be dialed w/one touch, and then just dial the additional digits maually, after looking at the Cellular entry, if you can't remember what the extra digits are for tany contact.

I can access and navigate the ACD trees and voice mail system that I manage via Skype without any issues. As well as other systems which have ACD trees. It requires manual entry, but the functionality is there via the dial pad.

Just be glad that you do not have Verizon as a provider...no Skype calls over 3G, Wifi only. Now that's an issue which threatens the viability of Skype on mobiles.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
I use Skype extensively to connect with my family overseas and its' implementation on the N900 is near perfect in my eyes.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Does Skype has a future on the N900?

-if you let the mobile network operators choose: no
-Nokia ans Skype are not yet sure about it - as for Skype it may mean short term profit ditching compared to previous implementations of Skype mobile and for Nokia it may mean troubles with network providers
-for the end users Skype on N900 is the new born future of Skype

It has only recently been given free after years of forcing skype users to deal with third party solutions like fring (nice effort but there are some security related question-marks) or the Java based Skype client on Symbian that seemed to be built to drain your Skype credit fast (by dialing your mobile number on using your own Skype credit while your correspondent thinks he is just going PC to PC with you)

The current integration of Skype into contacts is a nice and unexpected bonus. I hope they will continue to make it even more intuitive in use and fully functional.

As for Skype video: It is almost there but the quality is nothing to write home about.
If anybody has ever tested the application Mirror that uses the front web cam on the N900, he will know what to expect added with some touches of network instability.
Adding a better camera might eat too much processing power / battery power to make it really usefull. The phone gets quite hot after an hour of Skype videocall with an (early?) firmware supporting it.
Skype voice hangs the CPU at 500mhz, 71 percent usage
Skype videocall hangs the CPU at 600mhz 90 precent usage