Poll: Should Nokia Release 100% of the Source Code for Maemo 5/n900?
Poll Options
Should Nokia Release 100% of the Source Code for Maemo 5/n900?

It is a good thing but what they should realise is the quicker they can make a fully open phone then the sooner they take market share off of Apple.

The more open it is the more the community will be able to help them make a world class phone.

Opening the code does not necessirly mean it has to be GPL they could open the code to be modified only for this device, no rights on other devices for instance.

Opening the code does not transfer copyrights in much the same way as reading a book does not make you the owner of the book.

Trouble is it takes closed minded corporate managers a long time to realise this is the best/most profitable way on the route to opensource!

My vote goes towards opening the code.

rgds

Originally Posted by uTMY View Post
Trouble is it takes closed minded corporate managers a long time to realise this is the best/most profitable way on the route to opensource!
But this hasn't been proven. I might be ignorant but I do not recall any company that has gone the open source route and remained competitive.

Giving the Full Open Source of Maemo 5 to TRUSTED Developers is a good idea.. But you know wat NOKIA means, NO HOPE!!! That is why im trying to sell my N900 from NOW!

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
But this hasn't been proven. I might be ignorant but I do not recall any company that has gone the open source route and remained competitive.
Do you recall Intel?

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Actually is Mer still an active project now that MeeGo is being developed?
I seriously doubt it.

Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Do you recall Intel?
I think you mean Redhat. Intel maintains profitability by pumping out chips like nobody's business. Effectively, the same thing could be said for Nokia, who sells handsets.

They could totally offset the open sourcing of their software by offering services to owners of Nokia branded devices, the catch would be getting around the incompetence that is interfering with their services delivery for the N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Sigh... I guess no thread is safe from hijackers. PLEASE - only post replies if you support this initiative.

Otherwise, go here http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=703730 and have at it.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Do you recall Intel?
Fair enough and I did admit to being ignorant. I didn't know Intel was open source. But seeing as intel is not in the mobile device (or established) market, I can see why Nokia would be apprehensive.

To me, it could be a big risk. They could be wildly successful or they could fail woefully. Nothing in-between and that thought sounds scary to most managers. They could, however, use the n900 as a case study for open source development. I am willing to be a guinea pig.

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Sigh... I guess no thread is safe from hijackers. PLEASE - only post replies if you support this initiative.

Otherwise, go here http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=703730 and have at it.
How is this petition going to Nokia? Through this thread or do we have to sign something somewhere?

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
How is this petition going to Nokia? Through this thread or do we have to sign something somewhere?
I am just gauging support at the moment. If there are enough votes I will put together something more official I think.

Everyone please take a moment to vote in the poll I just added.

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
I am just gauging support at the moment. If there are enough votes I will put together something more official I think.

Everyone please take a moment to vote in the poll I just added.
Didn't see the poll until now