Active Topics

Originally Posted by ZShakespeare View Post
I define finished as a product that works completely as advertised
Ok, and shockingly most Open Source software fits this definition.

and has all the features, advantages, and benefits of a similar product in the market.
And most Open Source software fits this bill too.

However you're defining a "finished product" to be something that is "feature equal with an arbitrarily different product." Please don't move the goalposts here. Last I understood a "finished product" was one that was feature complete, and performed as described.

This is like bashing the GIMP for not -being- Photoshop, which is eminently unfair, considering it's capabilities versus what the average person actually needs.

MySQL (while unfortunately not as sucessful as oracle)
Not as successful by what measure? Oracle brings in tons of money, but it also has a byzantine licensing scheme and way more features than most websites will ever seriously use. On the other hand, MySQL lacks features that make Oracle and DB2 essential on the higher end.

we're talking about a consumer grade electronics here not server room software choice.
You'd be shocked at how many devices just barely perform as described, and aren't capable of doing anything more. Certainly, I'll take a little less polish if it means I don't have to deal with the vendor telling me (via encryption and security policies) what I can and can't do with my property.

EDIT: More blather from PradaBrada follows.

Originally Posted by PradaBrada View Post
There isn't much to take advantage of when I can get the same somewhere else for a bit more money and alot less hassle. Its the same reason I would purchase a car instead of collecting junk from the scrapheap and trying to make one myself.
And yet there are always people building custom cars and restoring old ones found at the scrapheap. Do you normally insult them as well?

I'm merely sharing what I have learned from experience and observation of both experience and statistics. In the real world consumers use predominantly Windows and OSX.
Use of OS X is a reaction to Windows. Windows is a result of their monopoly, really, and familiarity.

Medicine student, the psychiatry lecture on the syndrome which my professor gave was quite fascinating.
So essentially you are doing to the field of computing what you claim people do to medicine with Wikipedia. Please stop. It's what you'd want us to do, right?

They get paid to work until someone else completes their work for free!
What?

If they are working toward getting money for what they develop and therefor gain more ground in the market, they are no better than the big bad closed corporations, only smaller and envious of the other teams' success.
What nonsense is this? I hope you're better at medicine than looking at how the computing field works, or you might kill someone. How is someone making money writing open source software being no better than the "big bad closed corporations?"

Last edited by wmarone; 2010-06-08 at 00:42.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
you called me ignorant. Show me one sucessful open source product that is a commercial sucess, and isn't half finished. Just one.
Define "commercial success".

Because every time I bring up the list of qualifying candidates (Apache always comes to mind) someone has to start sputtering with disqualifiers.

signed,

Someone who sees the benefits in both open AND proprietary approaches and thinks these religious wars are asinine.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 50 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on May 2010 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by PradaBrada View Post
Medicine student, the psychiatry lecture on the syndrome which my professor gave was quite fascinating.
Professor Byagam Gokulden is indeed an amazing luminary. hpek

The Following User Says Thank You to Bourdain For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
Awesome, a router, a set top box that uses proprietary codecs, and a tablet that people only know about because of the n900 (half-finished). Surely open source is poised to conquer the market!

MySQL has so much success that Oracle bought it and will keep supporting it because they want to use it as an alternative for Oracle in less complex setups. Let me repeat that. So successful that Oracle wants it to be an alternative to Oracle.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Awesome, a router, a set top box that uses proprietary codecs, and a tablet that people only know about because of the n900 (half-finished). Surely open source is poised to conquer the market!
If you can't win with logic, always trump with the Sarcasm Card!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
What is your point? These are my only router that I use, the only set top box that I own and a tablet that I bought because it was the best mobile internet product in the world. Each of these products had better rating than any other competing products, or I would not have bought any of them. So, I repeat, what was your original point?

I don't even have a preference for OpenSource. But OpenSource products sometimes kick proprietary mule.

Here's some logic. I run a company that makes widgets. Recently two other companies that make widgets made some widgets that are way better than mine, and no one wants to buy my widgets any more.

I want to make a better widget, so I grabbed an old doohickey and half of one of my old widgets and taped them together. It doesn't quite do everything that my old widgets did, but boy does it look good on paper.

Here's some logic. I run a company that makes widgets. Recently two other companies that make widgets made some widgets that are way better than mine, and no one wants to buy my widgets any more.

I want to make a better widget, so I grabbed an old doohickey and half of one of my old widgets and taped them together. It doesn't quite do everything that my old widgets did, but boy does it look good on paper.
That's some pretty... faulty logic. At this point you're just slinging barbs because you've got nothing.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
That's some pretty... faulty logic. At this point you're just slinging barbs because you've got nothing.
Explain to me how that is not exactly what has happened.

Tags
foolish noobs, ignorance, it's h3lldick!, religious wars, trolling, worstthreadever