Notices

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I've used ffmpeg on an older/slower system like this (500Mhz range), and can tell you that a typical 90 minute movie took well over 2 days to transcode even on an optimized P4. So even accelerated, you'd still be over a day to encode a movie on the N900. It may be quicker if you're not doing video encoding (eg just changing the audio format), but it's pretty intensive even for just that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
you guys serious with this? I have a video converter on pc but using it pushes my core 2 duo from 1 to 5% to 100% usage. What made you think an arm processor with 600mhz could convert a video if a intel dual core processor with 2 2.13ghz and l2 cache is at its limit?

The Following User Says Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
you guys serious with this? I have a video converter on pc but using it pushes my core 2 duo from 1 to 5% to 100% usage. What made you think an arm processor with 600mhz could convert a video if a intel dual core processor with 2 2.13ghz and l2 cache is at its limit?
Of course it could. The core2duo is pushed at its limit for speed. Where a video takes 15 mins to be converted with a core2duo, it would take the N900 hours, using 100% CPU usage and making the phone unusable during that time.

So video conversion is possible. Any CPU can handle it. It's just a process. So possible: Yes; Practical: Hardly

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
Of course it could. The core2duo is pushed at its limit for speed. Where a video takes 15 mins to be converted with a core2duo, it would take the N900 hours, using 100% CPU usage and making the phone unusable during that time.

So video conversion is possible. Any CPU can handle it. It's just a process. So possible: Yes; Practical: Hardly
If that's the case it really isn't possible for hours of processing to that extent battery drainage(Charger can't supply that much power if processor usage is at 100% even if charger is connected while charging it would still eventually drain out), hardware burn out(Overheating) & software hang up would occur resulting in failure of conversion after. So generally speaking it's 100% impossible.

The Following User Says Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
It is very nice to see you guys actually realizing what I said on the previous page.

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
It is very nice to see you guys actually realizing what I said on the previous page.
Oh sorry. I didn't realize you already posted it. I almost never read a whole thread. First posts and last posts usually.