Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by dantonic View Post
There's something going on there, a few questions for you:

Is the N900 brand new?
It was brand new when I bought it in 2009.

I will be honest when I say that if I have to disable basic features of the N900 and avoid using it as advertised, then I might as well not even bother to own it. If you want to disable cellular radio or whatever in order to save battery, that's fine, but I won't do that. If that means "real life" battery time is 4 hours for me, then that's what it is. Having a longer battery life at the expense of not actually using it is pointless.

That being said, you're using much more "active" stuff than me, so it is disappointing to me. I have Foreca Widget checking once an hour, mail checking once every 15 minutes (IMAP gmail and MfE exchange acct). That's it. No open programs or active connections. No IM, no SIP, no GPS, no Bluetooth. I am connected via Wifi when I'm at home or work, and 2G/3G when I'm out.

Coming from using a N95 for a couple years, I'm already used to horrible battery life. This is my third Nokia phone and battery performance has gotten worse with each one as phone capabilities have gotten much better. My 6682 could last almost a full day -- sometimes even more than 24hours (but never 2 days). N95 was much closer to N900 in battery life: Fully charged in the morning, dead before I go to sleep that same night. So, like with my N900, I bought extra chargers and just tried to keep my N95 charged as much as possible. At home, at work, in the car, it's basically a wired device...

I hear co-workers complain that their phone "only" lasts 3 or 4 days on one charge, and their old phone lasted a week... it makes me both laugh and cry

Earlier this year I went 2+ months with nothing installed on my N900 (because I was sure PR1.2 would be right around the corner... heh) and basically never using it other than web browsing and e-mail, and battery life still sucked. When PR1.2 finally came out I flashed and started over, but things are the same.

My gut feeling is that MfE is a big cause of most of my battery drain, as it is one constant from the first day I bought N900, but it's pointless to try to investigate further because I will not stop using MfE anyway.

I'm fortunate enough to work a job where I'm at a desk all day, so I can keep my N900 on the charger the whole time. This gives me enough battery to last from the time I leave work until bed time (about 6pm until midnight). But depending on what I'm doing with it, sometimes it doesn't even last that long.

Weekends are the dangerous time because I'm away from chargers and have to pray to Nokia that my battery will last until I get back home.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by n900 lover View Post
Ofcousre its nokias fault ,for supplying a shitty battery, maybe they can realise their mistake and at least release a better battery for n900 one that goes for at least 2 days.
Sigh, don't you people ever stop?

Buy a second battery, get yourself a solar charger, bring your USB lead to work, whatever. The battery life in the N900 is no different to the myriad of other tablets & cell phones on the market right now.

Sure, if you turn on 3G, GPS, and WiFi all at the same time and make heavy use of it all, your phone is going to go flat after a few hours. Please point me to any similar product by any manufacturer that lives up to whatever expectation it is you have.

If you want 2 days with everything turned on, then you're going to need a battery about the same size as the N900 itself. Do you want that?

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2010 @ malaysia
well i guess thats why Nokia gave us a free DC-11 when i got the phone. It helps to have a battery handy. I did get another battery (compatible) that works great with my 5800 but when i use it with the N900 it DOESNT EVEN BOOT UP!!

Well but in reality the battery levels are really unstable. sometimes even doing the same activities day in day out, SMS, calls, mail check (thru Wifi) it doesnt give the same results.

Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
It was brand new when I bought it in 2009.

I will be honest when I say that if I have to disable basic features of the N900 and avoid using it as advertised, then I might as well not even bother to own it. If you want to disable cellular radio or whatever in order to save battery, that's fine, but I won't do that. If that means "real life" battery time is 4 hours for me, then that's what it is. Having a longer battery life at the expense of not actually using it is pointless.

That being said, you're using much more "active" stuff than me, so it is disappointing to me. I have Foreca Widget checking once an hour, mail checking once every 15 minutes (IMAP gmail and MfE exchange acct). That's it. No open programs or active connections. No IM, no SIP, no GPS, no Bluetooth. I am connected via Wifi when I'm at home or work, and 2G/3G when I'm out.

Coming from using a N95 for a couple years, I'm already used to horrible battery life. This is my third Nokia phone and battery performance has gotten worse with each one as phone capabilities have gotten much better. My 6682 could last almost a full day -- sometimes even more than 24hours (but never 2 days). N95 was much closer to N900 in battery life: Fully charged in the morning, dead before I go to sleep that same night. So, like with my N900, I bought extra chargers and just tried to keep my N95 charged as much as possible. At home, at work, in the car, it's basically a wired device...

I hear co-workers complain that their phone "only" lasts 3 or 4 days on one charge, and their old phone lasted a week... it makes me both laugh and cry

Earlier this year I went 2+ months with nothing installed on my N900 (because I was sure PR1.2 would be right around the corner... heh) and basically never using it other than web browsing and e-mail, and battery life still sucked. When PR1.2 finally came out I flashed and started over, but things are the same.

My gut feeling is that MfE is a big cause of most of my battery drain, as it is one constant from the first day I bought N900, but it's pointless to try to investigate further because I will not stop using MfE anyway.

I'm fortunate enough to work a job where I'm at a desk all day, so I can keep my N900 on the charger the whole time. This gives me enough battery to last from the time I leave work until bed time (about 6pm until midnight). But depending on what I'm doing with it, sometimes it doesn't even last that long.

Weekends are the dangerous time because I'm away from chargers and have to pray to Nokia that my battery will last until I get back home.
The only reason I disable the gsm option when I am at work is because reception for me is so poor that it is worthless to keep it on.

I am not sure about Exchange as I do not use it. Maybe you're right that is the culprit of your battery issues.

All I was doing was offering you an example, ie. My battery usage profile.

I would definitely like it if the N900 had better battery life, but for my use, and considering I have USB in my car as well, I end up being able to charge the device any time I need, so it is not really an issue for me.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2010 @ galveston, tx
Ovi Maps is a huge battery drain for me. Especially if the phone is overclocked, the battery is drained in 2hrs.

I feel the phone is not responsive enough at anything less than 1GHz, but the battery life sucks big time at that clock speed.

IMHO the battery drain is also has some amount of randomness to it. Somedays the battery drains much slower than other days, in the same usage scenario.
Maybe it's some kind of placebo effect.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Yesterday 5pm (96%) to now 10.40am (25%), 17h40m, 2h Skype-call pulled it from 60% down to 25%, I was up all night with a bit of texting all over wifi with gsm on and an alarm going off. Just a normal day? No 2 hours of talking I normaly do not do with my mobile. Another day I get 26h, another I survive a rock-festival 4 days without charger. My previous phone happened to give me 2 weeks standby... nice I never tried what n900 is up for as I now use it just more frequently as I would do with a normal phone. My previous I could drain down to zero in no time with continuous browsing over 3G. Worn out battery made it through the week but never stayed alive for 5 hours with gps, music, and surfing. If you like to have a battery keeping an n900 busy for 2days you might want an attached batterypack which raises the size factor with a 1.8x multiplier. 35% in two hours means 12 batteries of the same would blow through your system for that 2days setup..

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on May 2010 @ limassol cyprus
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
And where exactly do you suggest sticking a bigger battery?
if you read it correctly i said better battery not bigger battery, as in a 1500 mah battery as opposed to a 1320 mah battery.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
You know what i make from this thread and other's similar? That there is no single culprit for battery drainage. It sounds like doing anything on this sucks the life out of the battery. True some report miracles with 20+ hours with always online.

I dont think MfE is to blame.
I dont think IM online is to blame.
I dont think Ovi maps is to blame.
I dont think MicroB is to blame.
Ultimately, they all are to blame.

I have disabled every possible function of the phone and discovered it made no difference (lowest brightness, all radio intennas off - except phone function, vibration off, zero multi tasking) and battery drops life like a ....

(View The graph)

- Internet browsing through the wifi drains the battery AS fast as 3G.
- When the phone radio is offline (underground train) the battery stabilises but still falls. What does this tell me? well that no application is sucking the battery excessively. No extra devels app uses the phone radio so this filters this possibility.
- Idle. Not really, connected through 3G (check emails etc, but not online on any IM account). But nothing else. Kinda idle i guess.

I know, with long testing that 2G is wonderful to the battery life. But who can seriously advise that we use 2G on a daily basis? it's fine for IM chat etc but when you have to open a browser window the pain returns.
Attached Images

Last edited by afaq; 2010-06-23 at 09:33.

You'd be much better off using battery graph as it shows CPU usage and wifi/gsm connections.

Autodisconnect is in extra's at the moment and defo helps with saving battery life. It's a shame that a higher capacity battery wasn't used but if one uses Autodisconnect then less time is spent using the 3g connection as this drains battery like a pig! I sometimes have facebook,msn and skype turned on and this can rape the battery a tad but sticking the phone on 2g all day one could easily get 24 hours, internet would be slow but for email, calls it's perfik!

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
I use the 2g/3g switcher about 10 times a day.
on 2g while idling and online on im's, and I switch to 3g when I browse and do other stuff. The switch only takes 2 seconds so I don't mind. I get 13-16 hours, depending on what I do. Online on 2g only checking mail every 30 minutes I got 48 hours. (Did about an hour of 2g browsing during that period)

I get only about 3 hours battery life when I watch the world cup over 3g
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.