Posts: 163 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
I was also very disappointed this week. I use the audio and FM transmitter regularly in the car. I finally got around to try and use mappero. Boy is that app CPU hungry. The whole device kept on freezing and unfreezing and the audio wouldn't stop stuttering.
Ended up having to powerbutton+end current task.

Actually it is possible to do GPS navigation, music, and browsing the web at the same time with no stuttering audio. Though opening the camera usually causes the problem.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
On Unix you can send a SIGSTOP to a process to freeze it, and a SIGCONT to thaw.
For example
Code:
killall -STOP hildon-thumbnailerd
would freeze the hildon-thumbnailer, and
Code:
killall -CONT hildon-thumbnailerd
would thaw it.
The kill commands don't kill processes but send signals, with the default being the ABORT signal.
Oh, I totally misinterpreted "freeze an application".

How do you know that Nokia added/uses this freezing of processes while rotating?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
How do you know that Nokia added/uses this freezing of processes while rotating?
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6203

OHM is open-source, Nokia's plugins for it are not. Go figure.

As for the sound stuff, https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6694 is our best lead due to Nokia's silence and the fact that it's all implemented in closed source stuff.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Thread moved to Maemo 5 / Fremantle.

Personally it only happens to me when doing something CPU intensive at the same time.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
So, you're actively doing GPS, while browsing the internet, AND taking pictures, and are surprised that it's laggy and stuttering? Most laptops (or desktop PCs) would have problems doing all that at once! That's expecting an awful lot out of a pocket-sized device, no?

If you're just playing audio, it does well. If you want to browse the web, while GPS navigating, and listening to MP3s, and taking a picture, then go get a... wait.. nothing else can do all that at once either. Go buy a GPS, a digital camera and a cheep mp3 player, then use the N900 to browse. It'll all be much happier that way.
Well OK, that IS a lot to ask, but still I think OS should not get to state where it is unresponsive to any user input for several minutes. Once I waited over 20 minutes to get control back to my device, but nothing worked and battery had to be taken out to make N900 reboot. Other times I just waited few minutes because I was sure it will never recover as in this first time.

The common thing in these lock ups were Mappero. It maybe is just too resource hungry program for N900, but it is the same time necessary because Nokia Maps is so bad in offline use.

With N95 I used to be able to use Nokia Maps with navigation, web browser and camera all at the same time without needing to reboot. And I thought Symbian should be worse than Linux in multitasking.

OS should not get unresponsive due to some userspace application; Mappero in this case.
Ok, Mappero should be fixed also so it wouldn't take OS down.

Mappero is rather aggressive with downloading maps. I guess the only solution to avoid non-response is to be more aggressive about asking to close apps. That or if you really want it, find a way to implement Android task killing.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Israel
In short, would you guys still recommend N900 as a good overall phone?

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2010 @ galveston, tx
It's an awesome phone dushkin.
Seriously I have never seen the hardware so exposed to the OS previously.
Just wish the baseband code were open source. Rapuyama... nice name :P

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6203
This one is talked about as fixed in PR1.1 in the comments with reports of it actually working, are non-whitelisted processes still stopped while doing other things?