So if the N8 is super, what will the E7 be then??!!!
Super Super i guess. I am waiting for the E7.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
Originally Posted by RAZOR View Post
Why do people keep on stressing N8 'only' has a good camera? Why forget the HDMI port? USB-OTG? Anodized aluminum case? The brilliant Broadcom GPU which is on par with iPhone's SGX535? Give credit where it's due. Gigahertz aren't everything. None of the current crop of high end phones match N8's hardware and specially the price it's available at, makes it one of the most attractive phones around. Infact, it's one of the most complete phones currently available imo.
no,no,no its just that the camera is mind blowing, and we just can't stop talking about it, USB-otg is pretty nice, the cpu is good, but not great, or excellent as on the n900, its a bit pricy,my friend got it for arrounf 740 $$ !!, thats a lot mate, the browser sucks badly, and the maps are awesome, and very fast, i liked the music player, but still the N900 is better.

The Following User Says Thank You to elie-7 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RAZOR View Post
Why do people keep on stressing N8 'only' has a good camera? Why forget the HDMI port? USB-OTG
These are niche features. When people are home, it usually makes little sense to connect the phone to a TV (the people inclined to do so usually already have a media player or PC connected), or USB devices to the phone. When they go out, few people will bother to bring the connectors/adapters with them.

Anodized aluminum case? The brilliant Broadcom GPU which is on par with iPhone's SGX535?
These are nice, but not exactly standout features.

Give credit where it's due. Gigahertz aren't everything. None of the current crop of high end phones match N8's hardware and specially the price it's available at, makes it one of the most attractive phones around. Infact, it's one of the most complete phones currently available imo.
The N8 is priced like a high end Android. In local webshops, it costs as much as a Galaxy S, and more than a HTC Desire or SE X10. So it fits exactly in the Nokia tradition of trying to get premium pricing with outdated hardware (N97 anyone?).

You're right, gigahertz aren't everything. The premium priced N8 is still using ARM11, which does less per gigahertz than Cortex-A8 which is in every high end competitor (which are, with the exception of Apple, not priced any higher). A nice GPU is not going to do anything to render webpages at good speeds: you just need a fast CPU and a good amount of RAM for that. The fact that this kind of hardware is Nokia's high end offering (the N900 is basically dead in the market), over 1 1/2 years after Cortex-A8 level of hardware have been widely available, is just embarrassing.

The critics are right, the good camera and case are pretty much all the N8 have going for it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pxa270 For This Useful Post:
The critics are right, the good camera and case are pretty much all the N8 have going for it.
The multitasking on symbian is still top notch.
Otherwise you are right, but I think nokia filled the right high-end market niche with the N8. In switzerland its currently a top-seller like HTC desire or iPhone.

Last edited by Rugoz; 2010-10-24 at 10:29.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
i don't think this is a high end device at all, even for nokia, their plan is that the symbian will be mid-range, and the meego will be high-end, yes i know the n9 will probably cost a lot .

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ in states for now
Originally Posted by elie-7 View Post
whats up people, a friend of mine just got the nokia n8, and i played with the device for about an hour or so, yes it may look like the symbian v5, but the new symbian takes the n8 to a new level, very nice, i'm impressed, ok so i had the n8 in one hand and the n900 in the other, and an iphone 3gs on the table, ok next to my overclocked @900 mhz n900 with custom zippy transitions and mods, the n8 didn't have a chance, i even underclocked and.... and still the n900 was way zippier, when multitasking the n900 opens the apps from the task manager at least 1.5 times faster, and it closes them with the same speed difference, nd so.... the n900 was better from every way except that amazing camera, this thing has that WOW factor with it, and the hdmi is awesome, plus the online channels integration and the home theater thingy are just great, very nice free hd games at the ovi store (nfs shift !! ) . the os looks and feels great, but the maemo5 is just better, now i went n8 vs iphone, and guess what, as always the iphone sucked, the n8 transitions and the homescreens, and its speed really did put the iphone back, not to mention the awesome media capabilities.....
so as conclusion the n8 is better that the 3gs, and the n900 smocks them both .
but reallt good job from nokia this phone is a major update from the n97, in fact its way different .
final words are :long live maemo5 .
mate it should have been what the n97 should have been years ago with its speed and smooth os.It is still solid nice words

thanks mate, yes i agree, no not years ago, maybe half a year ago, but its still better than the iphone, anyway with the n97 nokia was way behind, now its starting to catch up, i think a 1 ghz, 512 mb of rams symbian-3 device can get them up a lot, plus maybe some extra homescreens, and btw the n900's screen is way mor precise, even comparing to the iphone .
when i say iphone i'm talking about the 3gs . :P

Originally Posted by elie-7 View Post
i don't think this is a high end device at all, even for nokia, their plan is that the symbian will be mid-range, and the meego will be high-end, yes i know the n9 will probably cost a lot .
No, the N8 is a mid range device. The problem is that at the moment it is forced into the high end role, probably because all their projects are so late.

People would not complain so much if the N8 was actually priced as a the mid range device that it is, say around €300. But at the moment it's priced around €450, so it has to to go head to head with high end Androids, which all have better hardware (except for the camera). If they lose this fight, they have only themselves to blame.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Obviously not everyone is familiar with the news of late: http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/n...qt-and-ends-s/ (sorry to link to engadget, but they covered it too) - The differences between Nokia devices will be limited by their hardware only in the future. Meaning the N8 will only get better and better software (in old terms Symbian^4 and even ^5..).

And it's not possible to upgrade the camera in the N900, it would really be a waste of time and money. In the time that anyone would need to make it usable, the N900 will be too old, newer and better devices will be available at a fraction of the money needed (by the time the 'upgraded N900' will be usable, even the better camera module will be obsolete).

The Following User Says Thank You to Mandibela For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Mandibela View Post
And it's not possible to upgrade the camera in the N900,
It's theoretically possible to upgrade the camera in the N900 if the new camera uses the same way of connecting to hardware.
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_camera_sensor

it would really be a waste of time and money.
It wouldn't take a lot of time for somebody who already has both N900 and 12MP camera module.
Such a camera module wouldn't cost much if it were sold separately. But it's difficult to find one and be sure it's compatible.

In the time that anyone would need to make it usable, the N900 will be too old, newer and better devices will be available at a fraction of the money needed (by the time the 'upgraded N900' will be usable, even the better camera module will be obsolete).
Many people consider 5MP photographs very good and say that the limitation is in software, not in hardware. The reason to wish to have 12MP is that CPU allows it, and 12MP cameras already exist. Upgrading CPU is too adventurous to attempt it; N900 with 12MP camera and better software would already make beautiful high-resolution photographs.
And I hope to use N900 for ten years, if possible, not less.