Active Topics

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sweden
Hey guys. You really got me thinking. I looked into the under voltage settings and loaded titan's XLV kernel then changed the max frequency to 1000 Mhz and then everything started to work !

This is what I have done.

You have to have both "Enhanced Linux kernel for power users" and "Enhanced Linux kernel for power users (settings)" installed.

Start X teminal
Type:
sudo gainroot
kernel-config load xlv
kernel-config limits - 1000

And if you want this to be permanent type:
kernel-config save myconfig
kernel-config default myconfig

Thank you zifis.
This worked for me and I hope this will help others with similar problems.
I now have a perfect smart phone again. (until a new faster stronger sexier model appear)

twigleaf1976
I just don't play video files anymore and add it to the list of reasons to hate the phone.
Maybe this can help you to love again !

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
Originally Posted by WildWere View Post
I love my phone, this is the best smart phone I have seen on the market. I haven't found another smart phone that is as flexible and hackable as the n900 yet. If i had I would simply upgrade. So I hope the good people here can help me and others with this problem.

If your phone work video and all, what configuration do you use? (firmware and what not)
PR1.3 it says version 20.2010.36-2.002. I tend to update evreything. I also use the standard versions of Mediaplayer, I haven't installed any of the others available. (Kmplayer and the GUI was a very complicated mess when I tried that so I don't touch it now) And I have never reflashed.

For me hacking is secondary, I wanted a full media playback phone, the hacking I have done I have since seen available in the HTC desire anyway. I got it as well to avoid google interference. I just don't care for the really low level coding hacks that people can get away with unless it gives me much needed funcionality like fMMS and OVI maps that work.

I do have extra codecs installed, but appliation manager just crashed again after ten minutes because I checked to see if I do. So I am having to reboot my phone while typing this reply.

Anti-Nokia Ambassador

Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
PR1.3 it says version 20.2010.36-2.002. I tend to update evreything. I also use the standard versions of Mediaplayer, I haven't installed any of the others available. (Kmplayer and the GUI was a very complicated mess when I tried that so I don't touch it now) And I have never reflashed.

For me hacking is secondary, I wanted a full media playback phone, the hacking I have done I have since seen available in the HTC desire anyway. I got it as well to avoid google interference. I just don't care for the really low level coding hacks that people can get away with unless it gives me much needed funcionality like fMMS and OVI maps that work.

I do have extra codecs installed, but appliation manager just crashed again after ten minutes because I checked to see if I do. So I am having to reboot my phone while typing this reply.
Now when I found this problem I have a "stable" (knock on wood) phone and if you are interested I can write down a guide on what I have done to my phone. And I recommend that you re flash your phone because all installed and uninstalled programs makes a unstabile phone over time.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
That would be good if you could tell me what you have done. Anything that promotes stability in this can't be bad.

Anti-Nokia Ambassador

I take no responsibility if you brick your phone or whatever, This is what I have done, maybe there is a better or more right way witch I will gladly learn if someone think this is wrong in any way. This worked for me and I have done it several times on my own and friends devices.

I have done this with Windows Xp. And when you do this remember this will COMPLETELY reset your phone to factory settings everything will be lost if you haven't done backup. I recommend you to download and install Nokia Ovi Suite and do your backup of contacts and sms from there. I haven't done backup of my mms, if you want to do that you have to search the web because i dont know how frals fMMS store the mms files. Don't use Nokia Ovi Suite to backup files and photos because it takes forever and you can't see what the f--k it's doing. Connect your phone using the usb cable in PC sute mode. Choose the tools menu and backup, uncheck everything that isn't contacts and sms, do the backup in Ovi Suite. Then disconnect usb and connect again in mass storage mode. Now backup everything else such as .video .images DCIM or anything else you want to backup with your choice of file manager. The memory card you simply remove from the phone until done.
Now then when your are done and have a fully loaded battery or at least half:

First login with your IME number (under your battery)
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php

Download the eMMC file:
RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin
And then download the correct file for your contry. mine is for Europa:
RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin

Then you download the Flasher command line tool here:
maemo_flasher-3.5_2.5.2.2.exe

Save everything in a folder so you know where everything is.

Now simply install the maemo_flasher by klicking on the maemo_flasher-3.5_2.5.2.2.exe file and follow the instructions.

When done you go to the Maemo folder C:\program files\maemo\flasher-3.5\ Copy the two files you downloaded to that folder.
The eMMC file:
"RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin" (same for everyone regardless of the contry you are in)

Then copy the firmware file, in my case it's:
"RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin"

This is done because it's easier to run the flasher with the files in the same folder as the flasher program, you can delete the eMMC file and the firmware file in the program folder when you are done if you want.

Now turn off your phone, wait until you are sure it's done. usually takes 3-5 seconds.
Hold the "u" key on the phone and plug in the usb cable. You can let go of the key when you see the Nokia logo and the little usb symbol up in the upper right corner of the display.
The phone is now in flash mode.

Windows will now automatically detect new hardware and install it. Wait until finished, don't take long.
Open up start menu in windows and choose run, then run "cmd".

Now in the cmd (Windows Command line window) go to your flasher-3.5 folder. Mine are in:
C:\program\maemo\flasher-3.5\

When you are in the right folder type:
flasher-3.5.exe -F RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin -f

The flasher will now flash the eMMC, wait for it.

When done this is important: This worked for me (several times) unplug the usb cable DO NOT TRY TO START THE PHONE UP remove the back cover, remove the battery and wait 5 seconds. Replace battery and cover, again hold down the "u" key and plug in the usb cable and wait for the Nokia logo with the little usb symbol in the upper right corner. Then release the "u" key.

Now in the cmd window on your pc type:
flasher-3.5.exe -F RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R
or replace the "RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin" part with the firmware file you have downloaded.

The phone will now flash reboot and startup. You now have a freshly installed operative system.

Part 2: writing it now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WildWere For This Useful Post:
Part 2:

Now you can go to the Application Manager.
Install the extra repositories, here is a link that explains far better than me on how to get the extra repositories:
http://www.nokian900applications.com...or-nokia-n900/

Install "rootsh"

Optional, you can look at this one too on how to ad a reboot button in power key menu, I found this very useful.
http://my-maemo.com/faq/showquestion...aq=5&fldAuto=2

Optional 2: I use a app thats called "Faster Application Manager" and you install this and use instead of Nokias app handler. I'ts more efficient and faster.

Install "Enhanced Linux kernel for power users v2.6.28-maemo42"

Install "Enhanced Linux kernel for power users (settings) v0.11"

Reboot or restart phone.
Open X terminal and type:
sudo gainroot (press enter)
kernel-config load xlv (press enter)
kernel-config limits - 1000 (press enter)
kernel-config save myconfig (press enter)
kernel-config default myconfig (press enter)

Your phone will now avoid 125 Mhz and work between 250 and 1000 Mhz.
This will be permanent because you saved this settings with the "kernel-config default myconfig" command.

Install "Swappolube v0.4-1"
Start Swappolube and press the button "Proposed" on the left.
Then press "apply" and finally "Store"

You will now hopefully have a happy and stable n900. Hope this have helped you twigleaf1976 and others who have a dodgy phone.

This is some programs I can recommend that I use on my n900 that i find very practical and useful:
fMMS
battery-eye
BlueMaemo
Conky
Theme Customizer
Catorise
Catorise GUI
This one is a bit buggy when you push the test button to test your custom led patterns, but it works and I've used it many times without problems. LED Pattern Editor
eSpeakTime
"This one is VERY useful Flashlight-extra<---- Thanks to Temporal I now now that this program have a nasty bug that adds a "loop" in dbus calling that eats your battery (because it never let the processor stop)."

Hope this have helped.

Last edited by WildWere; 2011-02-01 at 04:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WildWere For This Useful Post:
Oh yeah, don't install the extra decoders support. You rarely need it and I find it to be to buggy. It uses up my battery every time I open up the video folder with media player after I close it. And It crashes a lot on my phone and have always done that reflashed phone or not. I simply get formats that works and use them without extra decoder support.

When video playing fails, check dmesg for possible dsp-bridge errors.

zimon
When video playing fails, check dmesg for possible dsp-bridge errors.
I found no dsp-bridge errors. But I have fixed the problem now by running titans xlv voltage setting.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Calgary
I have exactly the same problem that started after recent media player update.