Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
I am angered by this news! I've been a Nokia user all my life! But this news angered me so much for a couple of reasons.. WP as a main OS?? WTH! No Qt???? WTH! Meego as a niche platform WTHHHH!!!

I am going to wait till the end of this year.. If they don't deliver updates to Symbian like they were planning before this bs and if this MeeGo product doesn't turn out well and isn't supported (ala N900).. then bye bye Nokia for real this time around you've lost a very faithful customer/user/fanboy/lover...

I seriously have never bought any other phone other than a Nokia because I love their devices and their OS despite their downfalls.. because I liked their vision and their _functionality!_ But now, WP? no multitasking, Microsoft controlling hardware specs (see MicroSD issues).. heck there's no even cut and paste yet! screw that!

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tmsha For This Useful Post:
Its 3 AM CST here in Chicago .. was hoping against hope against this announcement .. after 13 years with Nokia .. its bye bye time ... Elope was a MS agent and he did his job ... sorry Finns a great company of yours will die soon ... will more to Android now ... bye ... Adios ..

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to spamidi For This Useful Post:
Nokia is finished.

MeeGo is finished.

Why is Nokia finished? Because Microsoft is not cool (most smart phone buyers are not professionals/informed, so being cool is hugely important). Also because Nokia is behind the curve when it comes to the latest technology. They have a very good packaging ability - ie. they can churn out 235612354 permutations of low end phones using various modules at their disposal, but at the top end, they hardly shine.

N8 is a technological dog (besides the camera), N900 is a technological prehistory, and that's it. There are no more than TWO actual smart phone devices that Nokia managed to release in over one year...

How on earth will Nokia compete against HTC, Korea and whoever else Microsoft snags with the new and improved WP7 offer (thanks to the Nokia de facto acquisition).

V.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vmajor For This Useful Post:
I have supported nokia in many ways for a long time now. This move indeed saddened me. Despite all the criticism, especially from the big mouthed US blogs and journals I was hoping of a bright future for both Symbian and Meego.

It's a good thing the nxx0s gave me many years of really *useful* and flexible mobile devices (albeit with less glitter than the competition)

When my n800 and n900 will eventually die I will do what I did before - buy the next best thing. I bought the n900 when everybody said support from nokia went away simply because it was the only linux in your pocket smartphone. We'll see in a year or two what's next.

My prediction is that this move will gain them almost nothing in the US (which is ironic since all the noise from those annalists and journalists probably caused this in the first place) but will make them loose a lot in europe where I can't see windows phone gaining any real traction

My fondness of Nokia untill now aside:

Bring the popcorn this should be fun!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to icebox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I am so ****ing angry. I have never used a non nokia phone ever. Anger is boiling in me. I hate WP7. Oh god!! OPK, Anssi, & Ari were such nice people. This mother ****ing elop. I am going to kill him if i see him.
Seriously i hate microsoft.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Netherlands
Indeed, goodbye Nokia, long live whatever Linux phone comes next - any suggestions for a nice *NON-Nokia* Linux phone ?

The Following User Says Thank You to sander For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Oh I am so subscribing to this thread... the anger is genuine.

And... for no reason. Why not anger at allowing your beloved company to get to this point? It didn't happen overnight.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Will you lot just hold up and wait untill this happens? and for everyone doubting this for lack of apps etc etc please remember one thing here... the Windows OS has not been exploited at all really so if Nokia make it clear that it will use Windows as its OS then you just watch what will be developed !!
IMHO Maemo and Meego lacked support and the reason both will probably die a death.

Sad as it seems lets be honest here... what do we want and need?... a fully funcional OS for our beloved N900 RIGHT ?.

Windows everyone knows, Maemo and meego hardly anyone knows in comparison hence the interest on this subject.

Originally Posted by sander View Post
Indeed, goodbye Nokia, long live whatever Linux phone comes next - any suggestions for a nice *NON-Nokia* Linux phone ?
perhaps the upcoming QNX phones from RIMM?

Tags
elop ur a pain, meego sucks