Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Ok looking at the 2nd part of the title of this post, I checked it out. The reason being is I am starting a new job and have a $120 a month phone allowance, and I am not using my personal line with my N900 here in the states for work. So what would one of you get, if another N900 have all the push email issues been resolved? If not what alternative droid wise would you go with with a keyboard, Im heavily leaning towards the Atrix right now. Pros, Cons?

Thanks for the suggestion!

The Following User Says Thank You to ZackMorris For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Absolutely! Look at the Commodore 64, Atari 8-bit, the COLECOVISION! Those are still "alive" because they have a community!

As someone that owns all of those AND a 1974 Volkswagen Beetle, "alive" can have a very broad definition and it's not quite the definition you want for something as relatively new, to these other things I've mentioned, as the N900.
I do like you Dan. You seem like an intelligent and likeable chap. Here it comes.

But.....

Why are you here? If the N900 Community support is dying away, as you are alluding to in a snidey way in your post, then the support for your ancient N800 is surely even more non existant.

You've never even used an N900, by your own admission.

I'm a former N95 and N97 user and I no longer frequent forums for such machines anymore, because they aren't relevant to me.....anymore.

And I certainly wouldn't dream of going back to an N97 forum and sneering to those who like the device about how much greater the N900 is. It's a waste of my time and I would be deluding if myself if I thought anyone wanted to listen to my crappy opinions anyway?

I just wonder what your angle is?

Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
Anybody else sense the OP read the "keep TMO clean" thers is thread yesterday and is just trolling
Nah.

Originally Posted by geojoking View Post
You are right but they still won't do it. I had the warranty certificate but I did not have the invoice with mt N97 a while back and even though they could "see" my phone in their systems with the help of the IMEI and warraty certificate security number, they refused to service it...
have you got the original box?

mine has been fixed for a different matter and i did not have my receipt just the box, i told them where i got it from and they sent it to nokia, about 10 days later was back but was not the same phone, but was fixed.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
I do like you Dan. You seem like an intelligent and likeable chap. Here it comes.

But.....

Why are you here? If the N900 Community support is dying away, as you are alluding to in a snidey way in your post, then the support for your ancient N800 is surely even more non existant.

I'm a former N95 and N97 user and I no longer frequent forums for such machines anymore, because they aren't relevant to me.....anymore.

And I certainly wouldn't dream of going back to an N97 forum and sneering to those who like the device about how much greater the N900 is. It's a waste of my time and I would be deluding if myself if I thought anyone wanted to listen to my crappy opinions anyway?

Speaking of repetition... as I'd said in the very same post where I "admitted" never using an N900... I've come to kick *** and chew bubblegum.

No, no.. I've come here repeatedly for both the community itself (which is good--I read far more threads than I thank or reply to) and I also hope to see something that might instill some pleasant disappointment in the current trend. So far, I'm still waiting for that next Maemo or MeeGo device or for far more openness... but I've been waiting and waiting. In the meantime, I'll make sure to contribute to discussions. I arrived during the time of the MAJORITY of the Maemo Internet Tablets (770, N800, N810, N810WE) before there was a disappointing turn toward the ME-TOO iPhone wannabe N900 with the smaller screen and the cell radio I never wanted.

I hope you're not implying that ITT->TMO members are no longer welcome in this community by singling those of us out that criticize Maemo and the N900. I suspect you're genuinely curious about why I continue to show up and forgot that I still seek out Maemo support even though I don't own or want an N900, and casually forgot there were far more devices running Maemo before the N900 came out.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post

But.....

Maybe Dan just enjoys amusing himself with the threads here that always have a tendency to go off topic. Besides that he probably just misses all the Maemo folks so very much.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Maybe Dan just enjoys amusing himself with the threads here that always have a tendency to go off topic. Besides that he probably just misses all the Maemo folks so very much.
No kidding. Why does he make it sound like I singlehandedly destroy and mangle the entire site? I couldn't POSSIBLY hope to do what Nokia has so effectively done on its own to the Maemo community through its own actions and incommunication. Also.. I love you guys. No kisses, please.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

@ danramos

Too right, I'm curious lol.

A lot of bitterness from the Old Guard. There is a few of you guys who can't quite come terms with the way the whole Nokia / Maemo / Meego story has unfolded. I kinda feel sorry about how it's all turned out, for you.

Purgatory. If I believed in that sort of thing.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-03-22 at 00:03.

oh ffs ppl you guys cant keep **** on topic

this thread is not about dan - its about the OP's efforts to get his phone fixed. he also wants an alternative, and no one has suggested one yet

talk about irony - ***** about posters "polluting" TMO when you are polluting the thread with ***** fests about Dan. If you dont like Dan that use the ignore button - stop with the bloody *****ing off topic posts.

To the OP - the issue with the Desire Z is the hardware keyboard hinge, I didnt really like it. You may also take a look at the Sony Xperia Pro I think - that has a hardware keyboard more inline with the N900 I believe. Also upcoming rumored is the Samsung Galaxy Q that may have the hardware keyboard if you wanna wait for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by CraigRobbo View Post
Alright guys, So its finally given up.

The USB port has broken, My local nokia repair center wont touch it because i dont have proof of purchase, and i dont trust these 'back street markets' to tamper with it either (charge the earth and last time knakared my N73).

Unfortunatly there is not much i can do - What would be the next best phone to get, I wil likley go to android but no way can i go without a keyboard.

Or is there somthing coming out in the NEAR future i can hold off until? (maybe get by on one of those £10 phones)

Craig
Do an advanced search on gsmarena.com with the specs you need.
For Android/keyboard's there's the HTC Desire Z, Motorola Milestone 2 and coming a bit later the Sony Xperia Pro (I like this one the best).

The Following User Says Thank You to Maruzko For This Useful Post:

Tags
broken usb