Active Topics

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I think your timeline for Windows Mobile is strange. Windows Mobile was still trying to compete with the likes of Palm's Treo up until very recently. Let's not forget that the iPhone only just came out June 29, 2007. That's four years. It hasn't been so many years that even teens might not remember those god-awful HP phones with Windows Mobile that looked so chunky and worked so terribly--and those were supposed to be the hottest Windows Mobile phones.

I don't think I'm deluding myself. I believe Microsoft and Nokia, both really, have degraded their brand.

PS: Garyc2011... I suggest you seek immediate medical attention for whatever that is that you've got. Please, we're concerned for you.
I've been a mobile consmer for 10-12 years, never seen WinMo in shops. In fact most of this whole thing hinges on MS's lack of prominence in the mobile market, so point proven i think.

anyway, this isn't a thread on the virtues and downfalls of MS, Nokia or WinMo. My entire was, and remains, that WP7 hasn't been out long enough to be making any predictions about its longevity. That is all i have to say on that subject and don't want to take the thread elsewhere.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Whos Gartner?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by azkay View Post
Whos Gartner?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gartner
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
I've been a mobile consmer for 10-12 years, never seen WinMo in shops. In fact most of this whole thing hinges on MS's lack of prominence in the mobile market, so point proven i think.

anyway, this isn't a thread on the virtues and downfalls of MS, Nokia or WinMo. My entire was, and remains, that WP7 hasn't been out long enough to be making any predictions about its longevity. That is all i have to say on that subject and don't want to take the thread elsewhere.
I've been a mobile consumer for about the same length of time as you, plus I worked in the industry far longer (I began poking around at mobile cellular devices as a job since around 1993 with the old Motorola StarTAC flip-phones and the old bag-phone carphones and such). I can tell you that I have seen Windows Mobile in shops (Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile... even stores like Walmart, Target, etc.). I'm not sure that I can buy into your premise that whole thing hinges on a lack of prominence in the mobile market--I would argue that Microsoft has ruined their brand and image over the years. The idea of buying a Windows Phone 7 device conjures the image of one of those clunky old Windows Mobile phones from Hewlett Packard tat were pushed so hard up until maybe a couple of years ago, or else conjures the image of Microsoft's Windows desktops and the bad reputation they have for bloat, slowness and myriads of problems onto a phone device.

I still think that you're just not looking at the bigger picture and myopically focused on the idea that Windows Phone 7 is supposed to be new code. I don't think the broader market of consumers will care about that detail. Ultimately, what you or I think matters very little--let's just look at the numbers and we'll see how things transpire over time. I suspect Microsoft may have slipped enough times to have lost this market, though. They've always been struggling with it anyway, so this shouldn't be anything new.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gartner
Ah, "Research" groups.

The Following User Says Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
I can tell you that I have seen Windows Mobile in shops (Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile... even stores like Walmart, Target, etc.). I'm not sure that I can buy into your premise that whole thing hinges on a lack of prominence in the mobile market
This might be a circumstance of location. Like richwhite, Im also from the UK and, as he says, you would see very few if any Windows Mobile handsets in the stores here.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
This might be a circumstance of location. Like richwhite, Im also from the UK and, as he says, you would see very few if any Windows Mobile handsets in the stores here.
Im in Australia, ive only seen Windows phones once in a store. I dont really look at phones in general, but all the others are noticable.

That goes for the Zune too, ive only seen it sold once.

The Following User Says Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
I've been a mobile consumer for about the same length of time as you, plus I worked in the industry far longer (I began poking around at mobile cellular devices as a job since around 1993 with the old Motorola StarTAC flip-phones and the old bag-phone carphones and such). I can tell you that I have seen Windows Mobile in shops (Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile... even stores like Walmart, Target, etc.). I'm not sure that I can buy into your premise that whole thing hinges on a lack of prominence in the mobile market--I would argue that Microsoft has ruined their brand and image over the years. The idea of buying a Windows Phone 7 device conjures the image of one of those clunky old Windows Mobile phones from Hewlett Packard tat were pushed so hard up until maybe a couple of years ago, or else conjures the image of Microsoft's Windows desktops and the bad reputation they have for bloat, slowness and myriads of problems onto a phone device.

I still think that you're just not looking at the bigger picture and myopically focused on the idea that Windows Phone 7 is supposed to be new code. I don't think the broader market of consumers will care about that detail. Ultimately, what you or I think matters very little--let's just look at the numbers and we'll see how things transpire over time. I suspect Microsoft may have slipped enough times to have lost this market, though. They've always been struggling with it anyway, so this shouldn't be anything new.
It wasn't me who mentioned code, that wasn't my argument. You see them in stores in the USA, not in the UK. I've never heard someone talk about it, see it, or own it - and my friends own everything from primitive Ericsson's to old Nokias to new Nokias to BlackBerry, Android's and iPhones and old Motorolas and Samsungs. WinMo is the only OS i think i've never seen around. What i'm saying about WP7 is that it is presented entirely different, not as a tent peg on a business infrastructure for business users, but specifically a smartphone OS with integrated features and a whole new, fresh way of doing things that frankly is a joy to use (the swipe to new pages and so forth). Perhaps WinMo will hinder MS in the USA, but not elsewhere. Seriously, if i suggested to anyone i know or talk to 'what's your impression of WinMo?' not a single one would mention clunky HP phones. The only one i ever saw was a HTC one that i bought on eBay just to try a HTC device.

But yes, let's see how it transpires. I'm very curious about how it'll pan out.

This seemed relevant to the thread today... a posting that was made today on Facebook by the DroidFans group:
Fact - it takes Microsoft 3 months to sell the same amount of phones that Android sells in 4 days lol. This was your fun fact of the day, brought to you by DFs. CB

Originally Posted by azkay View Post
Whos Gartner?
One of the leading market research and analytics companies in the world. They were one of the few that accurately predicted the complete and utter failure of the Iphone.

Tags
competitors, goodbye nokia