Active Topics

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
'Basically a bug fix'? The CSSU has been hailed as a wonderful way to get portrait-mode working, and enable plenty of other additional features. Rarely is it hailed as being "just a bug-fix"
Rarely, at least until about 6 months ago. The push for portrait-mode was the early reason people flocked to CSSU, which is why I avoided it as well. But the past 6+ months has been more about stability and replacing flaky Nokia bits where possible. I updated about a month ago, and am very pleased with the results.

I can tell you, I had issues with PR1.2 and 1.3. In particular, wifi would drop out on occasion, the graphics chip would wander off and cause a kernel driver to spin on occasion, and the dsp driver would occasionally just not work, causing camera and video apps to not work right. Updating CSSU brought along upstream patches for all of those, and now they're rock solid.

Want to see something you'll never see with PR 1.2 or 1.3? Check out the picture below, which I snapped earlier today. Note the up time, 3 week of solid running, and it's still doing well. This is my primary phone, and I use it constantly throughout the day. Web surfing, audio playing, email checking, texting, calls, everything. And yes, I'm running CSSU, with K49, and moderate overclocking.

I get that some people don't want to update because they're happy with what they have. If that's the case, I say go with it. Better to have what you want then chance for more if you don't need it. I totally get that. But I do think, if you're having any issues at all, CSSU will likely fix a whole lot more than it breaks. To date, I haven't found anything that CSSU breaks, but I'm sure it breaks something somewhere, as that's the nature of change.
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Yes, I've been reading all these posts, about CSSU's main feature being portrait mode. In fact, if you look at the Wiki, that's what it says, too:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/Features

Lots and lots and lots of GUI improvements, including rotation and portrait mode improvements. In fact, that's pretty much all that the main page says:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU

Beyond the bare assertion that the CSSU is the "continuation of Nokia's SSU", all that the wiki talks about (beyond how to install it) is the new pretty transitions, rotations, and portrait mode.

Honestly, we could do with a bit of instruction here, if the CSSU is actually not what it is being advertised to be...
I agree. Most of what I know comes from the wiki. I don't have time to work through the CSSU thread. Maybe someone in the know should upgrade the wiki entry properly.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
@woody Why would 1.3 never see that? 1.3.1/KP49 got 10d currently, constant use as main phone, no issues whatsoever

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Sorry, but if installing CSSU makes programs compiled on 1.3.1 or scratchbox not work and vice versa it hardly seems a bug-fix.
Then why are you even on PR 1.3? PR1.3 introduced problems that caused all kinds of issues for several apps. So much so that Extras was actually split off into a separate 1.3 variant!

Xploder, one of the few decent games from the OVI store stopped working when PR 1.2 was pushed, and again when PR1.3 was pushed. It was 2 weeks before they updated the app to handle the change the first time, and one week the second. There are still plenty of apps that stopped working in PR1.3 in Extras that are now just dead because nobody is maintaining them. (Hangman is a great example of this.)

So even the precious PR releases cause things to break. That's the nature of change and fixing things. You can only keep supporting busted behavior for so long before it breaks everything else.

And really, do you expect an app made explicitly for PR1.3 to work on PR1.1 or PR1.2? They often don't. Why then would an app made specifically with CSSU settings be expected to work on a non-CSSU environment? It shouldn't. The fact that some actually do is somewhat astonishing.

There's a price to pay when you're still using Windows98 in 2012. If you're happy with what you have, that's great. But don't complain that people aren't supporting your decision to stay behind.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
It seems like CSSU has an upgraded Modest (email client). I'm interested in that, and plan to try CSSU as soon as I get a chance.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
the past 6+ months has been more about stability and replacing flaky Nokia bits where possible.
Cool! Any chance the wiki will be updated with details about this?

Want to see something you'll never see with PR 1.2 or 1.3? Check out the picture below, which I snapped earlier today. Note the up time, 3 week of solid running, and it's still doing well.
I will admit, my 1.3 Maemo did begin acting flaky after about two and a half months of uptime. I've since started the practice of rebooting my phone about once a month since then. If there's a good explanation somewhere about how the CSSU improves uptime, that might be of interest to me...

But I do think, if you're having any issues at all, CSSU will likely fix a whole lot more than it breaks. To date, I haven't found anything that CSSU breaks, but I'm sure it breaks something somewhere, as that's the nature of change.
And, yeah, if we could be a little more specific than "fix more than it breaks", I'd feel a little better about handing my phone over to it. I certainly like the idea of bug fixes, and if the CSSU actually fixes bugs, it'd be nice to have a description somewhere about exactly what bugs it fixes, and why I need those bugs fixed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
I come here alot. Had an N900 since released. Just got an N9. I never really knew what CSSU was, though I saw it often. I assumed it was a branch of Maemo for those who live in the terminal. Which is not me.

Besides--if you don't see how different it is to use a program under testing versus an entire OS, well...

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
@ Copernicus features does not mean fixes they are 2 different things!

@ Copernicus and szopin The fixes are to x-11 ie qt 4.7.4 which includes opengl support this is where problems occur when developing in the newer version of QT which PR 1.3 does not support

for a long list of those bug fixes and upgrade see

http://qt.gitorious.org/+qt-develope.../changes-4.7.4
http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/09/01/qt-4-7-4-released/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
@woody Why would 1.3 never see that? 1.3.1/KP49 got 10d currently, constant use as main phone, no issues whatsoever
I'm not saying it can't. I'm saying mine never did until updating to CSSU an K49. To be fair, I updated both around the same time, from Titans last release with PR1.3. I would have an sgx failure, or the dsp would stop responding, or some other such thing would happen that required a reboot. Or, it would just spontaneously reboot after about a week. (Usually while trying to take a picture or play a video.)

I'd be willing to bet that most people runing PR1.X without CSSU have problems achieving more than 7 days of uptime without needing to reboot. Again, being fair, lots of the upstream fixes for drivers are coming from K49. It's just that CSSU kind of "pushes" you to use at least K46, which for most people will fix a lot of stuff. Most people still on PR1.3 are also probably on an older kernel, be that Titan or the stock Nokia kernel.

I can tell you the GUI improvements in CSSU are really nice. I only use landscape mode, so I'm not talking about portrait stuff. The speed, ability to nuke "transitions", the fact that one rouge widget doesn't kill the desktop. And that if the desktop does die (or you kill it), it recovers gracefully, and re-connects to everything in the right way. It also no longer grows in memory size every day, like the old one did.

Just a few perks of having the new stuff. Again, if it's not something you want, I'm good with that. But it's where things are heading. I don't think Nokia is going to push a PR1.4 ever. Even seeing a PR1.3.2 is probably out, even if another major signer goes rouge. Just a matter of time...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Xploder, one of the few decent games from the OVI store stopped working when PR 1.2 was pushed, and again when PR1.3 was pushed. It was 2 weeks before they updated the app to handle the change the first time, and one week the second. There are still plenty of apps that stopped working in PR1.3 in Extras that are now just dead because nobody is maintaining them. (Hangman is a great example of this.)

So even the precious PR releases cause things to break. That's the nature of change and fixing things. You can only keep supporting busted behavior for so long before it breaks everything else.

And really, do you expect an app made explicitly for PR1.3 to work on PR1.1 or PR1.2? They often don't. Why then would an app made specifically with CSSU settings be expected to work on a non-CSSU environment? It shouldn't. The fact that some actually do is somewhat astonishing.
Mostly using terminal programs and haven't experienced any problems between 1.2/1.3/1.3.1, but if you say so.
Somehow CSSU guys did work on fixing modest crashes and other problems reported all the time. I consider xterm 'fix' that makes programs compiled on CSSU phone not work without it a backward incompatibility bug that is a showstopper for me. Do you expect all maintainers to fork their programs (CSSU-stable/CSSU-testing/non-CSSU variants?). Then again you could hunt down all the fixes in bugtracker and apply all that you want/need (like the enter not working in Midnight Commander patch which is the cause of the incompatibility btw, as behaviour is exactly the same as after installing CSSU).
Also, not M$ fanboy but Win98 programs work quite well in XP/Vista/W7