Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
@jalyst repository is not a method for hack, it nice apt storage.
Yeah but my point was it's not just any old apt storage, it's a repo for apps that need to be freed from the tyranny of aegis.
BUT if I'm in open-mode, I don't need the hack-installer wrapper & the commands associated w/it, I can use your repo (or openrepos) with normal commands, right?

but if you happe to download debs manually and install them in debinstall you can not to use it
Well, of course...

about applications: none of them depends of kernel version and can work in any.
Do you use open-mode mostly, & test all your sw mostly in open-mode?

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-09-13 at 07:33.

I have my Air set up to Bluetooth tether with my N9. Works fine now, but it was a lot of trial and error to set up. When I am home later I'll see if I can help more, because I don't remember now. I run 10. 6 and that might matter...

The Following User Says Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
@jalyst no. aegis still working. patched openmode just disabling integrity checks of aegis-signed files, allow to execute everything executable, use kernel modules and returning normal root rights to root. that's all.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
If I remember correctly it was something very similar to this:
http://thenokiablog.com/2010/01/01/h...via-bluetooth/
But I will bet 10.8 is different. I don't have any special changes made to my N9.
It might also be your carrier that is preventing tethering. I use T-Mobile.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Any experiences via Wifi & USB too?
I had no success with wifi, and never even attempted USB. Bluetooth works pretty well--for me--so once that worked I was happy.

@jalyst well.
About Trusted Repository: this repo made for easy installation of packages which need extended priviliges. It should be installed from repo installed in both normal and open modes. And then you can use it as regular repository, but packages will be installed with trusted origin.

About Hack-installer and its tools. Actually aegis-hack just unlocking AEGIS_FIXED_ORIGIN env value for normal mode and include fast wrappers for it. In open mode you can use it for faster typing (aegis-dpkg vs AEGIS_FIXED_ORIGIN=com.nokia.maemo dpkg).

And i'm using openmode only and testing apps in openmode. In openmode same capabilities and restrictions for packages with normal mode. The only difference - true root privileges in open mode.

Clear enough?

Originally Posted by coderus View Post
It should be installed from repo installed in both normal and open modes.
I'm sorry, but I don't get that sentence....

And then you can use it as regular repository, but packages will be installed with trusted origin.
So being "tweaked" to work in a secure-mode env. won't have any ramifications for their use in open-mode?
That was already my understanding, just checking that you're confirming that.

Actually aegis-hack just unlocking AEGIS_FIXED_ORIGIN env value for normal mode and include fast wrappers for it.
Yeah I already understood this much, in a superficial sense at least, thanks!

In open mode you can use it for faster typing (aegis-dpkg vs AEGIS_FIXED_ORIGIN=com.nokia.maemo dpkg).
So in open-mode I still need to set aegis_fixed_origin occasionally, I thought open-mode removed the need for that?
[mainly a rhetorical question, as this is more-or-less answered below]

And i'm using openmode only and testing apps in openmode.
In openmode same capabilities & restrictions for packages with normal mode, only difference; true root privileges in open mode.
That's all open-mode does? I coulda sworn open-mode did more than that.
*UPDATE*
I guess this earlier comment of yours best sums up everything it does:
Aegis still working. Patched openmode just disabling integrity checks of aegis-signed files;
Allow to execute everything executable, use kernel modules and returning normal root rights to root.
I think I need to re-read a bunch of old stuff, + a lot of new stuff...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-09-28 at 05:31. Reason: typo

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
So one doesn't even need to use Nokia Suite to tether to 3G via USB? Great.
Are Nokia Suite & this way the only 2 ways to tether via USB?

What about tethering via WiFi or BT, can you point to any good tutes for OSX 10.8?

TIA!
Yup...
Re wifi tethering you have wifi hotspot and for BT you need to have jackburton's kernel...

Cheers buddy....
I know the options for WiFi (built-in ad-hoc hotspot app OR kernel mod -WIP), BT (sol'n lancewex provided above OR kernel mod), & USB (via NS OR SDK mode).
But, so far I've not seen many decent OS X & Win 7 tutes, aside from the one lancewex linked to above.

*UPDATE*
I've now got 3G via BT working on OS X 10.8, works okay, still struggling with Windows 7.

Tried this, but no go on OSX 10.8 so far, can't see how to get it going, this is what I get:
Settings are fine as best as I can tell...
For some reason the N9's not NAT'ing/DHCP'ing the 3G connection (via USB) to my rMBP, connection on the N9 itself is fine.
Found this....
http://thpmaemo.blogspot.com.au/2012...g-via-ssh.html
But for 3G via USB this approach isn't practical for the context in which it'll mostly be used.
Later I'll try 3G via USB using Nokia_Suite & Nokia_Link...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-10-01 at 08:00.

For 3G to USB the most easy way with this: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=24

About trusted repo: you cannon just add [deb http://trusted-repo.url trusted repo] to your lists in open mode, it not became Trusted. You should use installer.

About apps in trusted. I cant say it using any Tweaks for more capabilities. Just regular aegis manifest, requesting credentials for api functions. Unknown or developer (installed with developer mode) cannot grant all of them. Only system (com.nokia.maemo) source can provide required credentials.

And there is no possibility do remove/disable aegis. Its because aegis replaced most of system tools by its wrappers. Many of operations going to aegis scripts and only after aegis it starts REAL tools (for example dpkg. /usr/bin/dpkg is just aegis-wrapper for aegis-controlled installation of packages, it reading and writing information to aegis configs and hash lists, and starting dpkg.real at the end)

And as described before - we cant disable aegis fully. Just cant. It integrated not only to kernel. It have a lot of components installed to system.