Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by FirebirdFeuervogel View Post
If you find a wimax chip in your n800, I think it means you get to take a trip to visit Nokia's magical communications device factory, and all the other kids who get to go with you because they found wimax chips too will all have some very obvious problem which will eventually lead to their comedic demise during some point along the tour, which will be immediately followed by a gaggle of violently-colored Nokia slave midgets singing a song about it which will be so good that you'll never quite be able to shake the feeling that they had rehersed it several times beforehand.
There's no need to be all nasty about it.

But seriously, didn't someone find WiMax labeled stuff inside the N800?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Yeah, I think a reference designator etched between a few empty component holes...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Whether they release the WiMax version as the N801 or N800w, or drop the existing N800 and replace it with a new BT/WiFi/WiMax version makes no difference to me - in the UK and most of the world, WiMax is non existant.

With two N800 variants, the only sensible thing for Nokia to do here would be to continue with one firmware for both devices and automatically enable WiMax support when the WiMax chip is present. Beyond that, the firmware should be identical, introducing two different firmwares for what is such a minor software change would not be worth the resulting end user confusion.

As far as applications are concerned, WiMax will most likely be indistinguishable from a BT or WiFi connection - software only cares about IP connections and not the protocol or radio frequency being used.

So as long as the changes don't extend beyond WiMax (i.e. no additional memory, faster CPU or attempting to fix the poorly implemented video) I don't have a problem at all with the introduction of this WiMax variant, it won't mean anything to me and that's fine.

If however they do implement other hardware changes then I'll be really p!ssed as I might have to buy one... But I think making more sweeping hardware changes even in early 2008 would not be a good idea - if Nokia are to introduce an updated product please wait until late 2008 and give the existing N800 (and any variants) a chance to breath!

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-08-08 at 14:56.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Great post, Mil.

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Whether they release the WiMax version as the N801 or N800w, or drop the existing N800 and replace it with a new BT/WiFi/WiMax version makes no difference to me - in the UK and most of the world, WiMax is non existant.
In the telecom duopoly that is Canada, Wimax is quite extensively deployed. Almost nobody knows about it though ... or they don't know it is Wimax. The company that provides it is Inukshuk Wireless http://www.inukshuk.ca/ but they only resell through Bell or Rogers. Both Bell and Rogers don't promote it very well since they would rather gouge on their Crackberry sales. But the cost is about $50 per month and you have to buy the modem.

Strangely enough, the most common place that I have seen these Wimax modems ... taxi cabs.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by Toontje View Post
So is the announcement of a new "N800" really that good news? What's going to happen with the current N800? Same as with the 770?

I guess it's time to start to save money for the next "N800" is i want to continue to have support. It's a shame that Nokia brings a new tablet to the market without even having leveraged the current N800 to the max. I really think that the N800 can do much more than what it does now. But now/soon, with three IT's on the market, what are you going to develop for? For the latest, i presume.

Ton.
They (Nokia/Maemo people) have stated already that the next release of the firmware (up to the next second one, if I am not mistaken) will support the n800 too.
So having a new tablet on the market will not be a problem at all for us n800 users.
On the contrary, more users will join the community.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by mwiktowy View Post
In the telecom duopoly that is Canada, Wimax is quite extensively deployed. Almost nobody knows about it though ... or they don't know it is Wimax. The company that provides it is Inukshuk Wireless http://www.inukshuk.ca/ but they only resell through Bell or Rogers. Both Bell and Rogers don't promote it very well since they would rather gouge on their Crackberry sales. But the cost is about $50 per month and you have to buy the modem.

Strangely enough, the most common place that I have seen these Wimax modems ... taxi cabs.
So you're saying that we wouldn't need the modem with the wimax chipset integrated. I've been trying to find a mobile broadband option for a while, but I don't want to carry a brick with me everywhere and only use it where there is a plug.

I didn't know it was Wimax.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by FirebirdFeuervogel View Post
lol, thanks, glad someone appriciated that. But in all seriousness, I'm trying to figure out how I feel about a 4g n800. I'm a bit confused by it to be honest. While I'm not sure how true this is, the artical made the point that the n800's hardware can't really take advantage of data transfers at over 1mbs. Also, while it's been a while since I read up on wimax, it has been a crappy trend that every new generation of mobile broadband becomes more battery intensive than the last. I have 3g disabled on my blackjack and keep it on edge unless I need to use data just because it really does make quite a difference in battery life, that leaves me feeling like 4g would slaughter a battery, and while internet tablets don't have horrible battery life, they don't need to lose any more of it. But back to the data speed thing. Given the assumption that speeds over 1mbs arnt going to be taken advantage of too well on a n800 due to hardware, it would make a ton more sense to use evdo rev a. for the thing, since evdo is closer to that 1mbs speed mark without being overkill, plus evdo is pretty widespread, especially in comparison to wimax which hasn't even been rolled out yet. And won't be rolled out in even a little place called New York City untill much later in the game. I think there is a bit of a game being played here. I think Sprint and Nokia are in some sort of thing to put wimax in the tablet to almost justify a rollout of wimax. I'm sure a subsidized price on the n800 would move a lot more units too.
Thanks for the post. Guys, this WiMax/Sprint tablet has been planned since before the N800 was officially released. See my posting on January 5.

WiMax is not only about faster speeds. In the US at least (where 3G is not widespread, crippled by caps and bad terms of service, strangled by Qualcomm, and expensive), WiMax is also about getting WIDE area coverage and being truly always connected - no more having to worry about finding a WiFi hotspot. The iT is part of the justification for WiMax and subsidization will be interesting. And the IT has always been, in part, an end around the cellular carriers that cause so many headaches for Nokia in US.

It is a HW upgrade to the rf interface and will not affect SW development, but I don't know if the ARM or other HW will coincidentally be upgraded in the next version. Battery life is an issue and we shall have to see about that. You can expect the next version to be Google optimized but should not cut off the current branch of SW development. I also posted about the Google tie in.

SD69

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
So you're saying that we wouldn't need the modem with the wimax chipset integrated. I've been trying to find a mobile broadband option for a while, but I don't want to carry a brick with me everywhere and only use it where there is a plug.

It specifically mentions "pre-Wimax" on the website but I think the pre- is only there since it was deployed before Wimax was officially standardized. You would have to check with them to see if they have any non-standard quirks or would let other devices on their network.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post

Yes, the WiMax IT will have an internal rf chipset that integrates the wimax. It will not necessitate significant increases in size or weight.