Active Topics

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Oxon, UK
For the record. I filled in the Amazon paperwork online last night, today they've despatched a replacement. Can't complain at their customer service!

I decided that this time, I'd take the chance that a replacement will last, if it doesn't it'll go back to Nokia for repair.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Is it any surprise you didn't get a reply?

I had hoped the warranty issues were limited to buy.com but obviously the recent 770 deals are part of a well organised multi-national sell off leaving customers with no warranty support and few retailers have made customers aware of this prior to sale, which is probably breaking a few trading laws (at least in the UK).

I'll say again, for Nokia to deny warranty in Ireland/UK where the 770 is/was sold is ridiculous... I'd have sympathy for Nokia if someone was seeking repair in a country where the 770 is not sold but in this case Nokia are just being pig headed/asinine in the extreme.
I recently got a Nokia 770 from Expansys Ireland. On the very first day of use I encountered what appears to be the White Screen of Death. I phoned Nokia Ireland about it who took the details of the unit (serial no. etc) and said they would arrange to pick up the faulty unit from my home and have it repaired. They also told me that units sold in Ireland and the UK were covered by the EU warranty.

It appears from reading the above that I too may have been sold a unit Expansys sourced from the USA (it came with a 2 pin plug rather than 3 pin UK/Ireland plug). Nevertheless I'm expecting my statutory rights be upheld by Nokia and the warranty to be fully honoured - I bought this product from a distributor based in the EU and was not informed prior to purchase of any stock issue/implications. If Nokia have an issue with the origin of Expansys 770 units it is Expansys they ought to penalise, not the consumer.

Hopefully I won't have any difficulties with Nokia in having this repaired or replaced - as far as I'm concerned the product I was sold was not of a quality fit for sale - if I encounter any resistance from the manufacturer its to Ireland's National Consumer Agency I'll be going to for support.

Regards,

eorpach

Hey, just adding one more to the list of people that have a WSOD 770 from expansys.com, it had a US power adapter with a convertor.

The thing is, I ordered it from UK to Sweden, it got a WSOD after 3 days. The local Nokia repair centre told me that there was no coverage because it was from outside of Sweden. But I checked with Nokia central, they said by EU law they cover anything they sell from any EU country in any other EU country. So it doesn't matter where you get it from, if it's from somewhere in the EU then it's covered in the EU for 2 years.

I told the repair guys that, they took it and sent it to Nokia. Here's hoping for a quick repair.

(P.S., no idea what happens if you order it from Ebay in the US to Europe.)

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by eorpach View Post
I phoned Nokia Ireland about it who took the details of the unit (serial no. etc) and said they would arrange to pick up the faulty unit from my home and have it repaired. They also told me that units sold in Ireland and the UK were covered by the EU warranty.
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
The thing is, I ordered it from UK to Sweden, it got a WSOD after 3 days. The local Nokia repair centre told me that there was no coverage because it was from outside of Sweden. But I checked with Nokia central, they said by EU law they cover anything they sell from any EU country in any other EU country. So it doesn't matter where you get it from, if it's from somewhere in the EU then it's covered in the EU for 2 years.
Hi guys,

I'd be grateful if you keep us updated with your repair experiences. I'm thinking of going the ebay route for a replacement 770 and it would be very useful to know if Nokia will repair the units if a WSOD occurs .

Thanks.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Singapore
Nokia should do free repair/replacement for all 770 with hardware problems. I had a canon camera ixus 300 which had a hardware fault, canon eventually offer free repair and even replacement of a better camera at a later point. Nokia should be doing the same since its their manufacturing fault!!! argh!

Hello, guys. It is obvious that I joined you because the screen flaw.
Mine worked well for about two months. I received the mmc card of 1 gb today and then the screen "whited" itself and I had no chance to check the new card. Hoho.

I found that the nokia policy is really troublesome. I even cannot register the product because it is not a "real" cell phone (thus no phone number). By the way, i bought it from buy.com.

Is it a common issue for these products sold by buy.com?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Try using your WiFi MAC address as the IMEI number when registering.

The register process needs a mobile phone number and a service provider. It is ridiculous. Now I think I have to send it to the service center to get a repair. It is so inconvenient and I have to get familiar with USA mailing system now.

Is it the only way now?

cant fix the wsod by reflashing?
how can i tell you the number of my 770 for see if is probable to get a wsod?
i follow the tip of never turn off (but sometimes is needed to reboot)

thanks and sorry my english

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by marcspc View Post
cant fix the wsod by reflashing?
No, definitely not. It's a hardware issue so reflashing is going to have no effect.

Originally Posted by marcspc View Post
how can i tell you the number of my 770 for see if is probable to get a wsod?
Go to Tools->Control Panel->Device and in the About Device section it displays the WLAN code that doubles as a serial number.

You could also remove the battery and find the code there but then you'd have to reboot - probably inadvisable .

Does anyone have any idea just how prevalent the WSOD is? Is it something like 10% or 15% or 20% of devices that experience it?

I guess it will be impossible to find out as Nokia are unlikely to have released that sort of information but just going by posts on various forums it does seem to be common enough to indicate something in the 10-20% range.