Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
(1)
so was a sol'n to this ever found, win7 works but supposedly win8's still problematic w/ad-hoc, how to get around that?

(2)
also, can anyone point to a sol'n for osx, having some issues with that, surely ad-hoc support is built-in or available via 3rd-party sw?
*bump*

TIA.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Sydney, Australia
I have been using my laptop to connect to the internet using my Nokia N9 hotspot successfully for a year or so.

Yesterday I upgraded the laptop from windows 8 -> 8.1 and now can't see the N9 hotspot.

I've tried rolling back the laptop WiFi driver but still the same. I can still see and have used 2 other WiFi connections, but not my N9 one. (using one now!!)

Does anyone have any idea's or solutions to this?

Originally Posted by macey View Post
Use a proper operating system

Sorry for the wisecrack, couldn't resist it.....
I just like to:

go to shop
buy laptop
go home
get laptop out of box
use for 2 years
throw in bin or donate to sibling/relative
start again

& connect to internet without hassle :-)

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by zaidk9 View Post
N9's hotspot doesnt is not visible on android and windows phone but visible on ios, windows 8 pc and symbian.. Anyone facing this issue???
Yes. My wife's Samsung S III mini cannot see the N9 hotspot. I changed channels, disabled all encryption. It will not show up. My MacBook Pro is able to see and use the hotspot.

Originally Posted by gmanning1 View Post
I have been using my laptop to connect to the internet using my Nokia N9 hotspot successfully for a year or so.

Yesterday I upgraded the laptop from windows 8 -> 8.1 and now can't see the N9 hotspot.

I've tried rolling back the laptop WiFi driver but still the same. I can still see and have used 2 other WiFi connections, but not my N9 one. (using one now!!)

Problem is ad hoc networks are not recognised by Windows 8.1. (and not 8.0 apparently even though I've been doing it for 6 months or so??)

Have downloaded a program called WeFi as a temp solution, but lots of internet talk saying it's possible malware...

http://www.wefi.com/download/

The Following User Says Thank You to gmanning1 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by rob_kouw View Post
Yes. My wife's Samsung S III mini cannot see the N9 hotspot. I changed channels, disabled all encryption. It will not show up. My MacBook Pro is able to see and use the hotspot.
Android only supports Infrastructure WiFi (the most common & superior form), not Ad-hoc.*
The N9's hotspot/AP only does Ad-hoc, MBP/OSX also supports Ad-hoc (although I personally haven't been able to get it working properly).

*although if you root it & install Cyanogenmod or similar, you can add ad-hoc support

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Rovaniemi, Finland
This might be a problem with Windows 8 drivers.

It seems thät at least Intel Centrino Wireless N2230) have issues with the drivers that came with Windows 8. My brothers Lenovo Thinkpad e530 started working with Joikuspot (sama as N9 hotspot) after he downloaded and installed Intels latest drivers:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...+2230&lang=eng

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Rovaniemi, Finland
It may be a laptop driver problem. There appears to be issues on Windows 8 drivers to Intel Centrino Wireless N 2230.
Lenovo thinkpad e530 started working with Joikuspot (preinstalled hotspot in N9) only when installed drivers from Intel download site.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Good old compatibility problem... Iphone 4 cannot connect to PowerBook via BT - Android cannot connect to not androidBT - my galaxy tab 2 cannot connect to N9's hotspot either... tried both ad-hoc and the wifi-hotspot thing... so the drivers are just BSing us - we should avoid those companies at all bases! It is so frustrating with not being able to see behind the curtains of those closed operating systems... (yes I know I can root android and I am tempted!)

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bahía Blanca, Argentina
Originally Posted by gmanning1 View Post

Same here..

Right now i'm using an old laptop with windows 8, connected to the N9's hotspot, because the internet service of my home is having technical difficulties due to high winds outside :P

But my new ultrabook with Blue 8.1 can't see the Wi-Fi hotspot, no idea why

1100 >> 3220 >> 5310 >> 5230 >> N9