Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Apple may well be the VHS of this world, but we all know what happened to the superior Betamax product. People WANT Apple products. Ordinary people, not techy or geeks, are lusting after Apple products, whether they need them or not - they just want them. [...]
Strange, but true.. even I have to constantly fight the urge to buy a flashy iMac or Macbook, even though I have loads of computers which are much easier to work with for the things I do, compared to when I use my niece's Macbook - it's a hassle. Still want an Apple box though! t'was like that with the Apple IIe too.. at least at that time it _was_ probably the best computer out there and I liked using it.
must.. hold.. back..

Originally Posted by omegaone37 View Post
It will never have VoIP...
How do you know this? Or are you just making a silly assumption?

Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
How do you know this? Or are you just making a silly assumption?

pretty sure it doesn't have a mic

I am making a wild guess here, but apple dropping the price by 200 dollars of the iphone tells me they aren't meeting their goals of having 10 million units in circulation.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I concur. The iphone was way overpriced and people are too used to having cheap or free phones. I live in NY where its easy to see what consumer electronics are hot from pure observation of the streets and the subway and you just don't see that many of them AT ALL compared to other smartphones and regular devices.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by thomasdawes View Post
I am making a wild guess here, but apple dropping the price by 200 dollars of the iphone tells me they aren't meeting their goals of having 10 million units in circulation.
They haven't broken 1 million yet, nevermind 10.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Strange, but true.. even I have to constantly fight the urge to buy a flashy iMac or Macbook, even though I have loads of computers which are much easier to work with for the things I do, compared to when I use my niece's Macbook - it's a hassle. Still want an Apple box though! t'was like that with the Apple IIe too.. at least at that time it _was_ probably the best computer out there and I liked using it.
must.. hold.. back..
I'll second that, and I agree completely with milhouse too. I'll keep my n800, but that's only because I'm a programmer and I want SSH and linux on my mobile device. Hell, I might even buy an ipod Touch, but if I do I'll have to pry it from my wife's cold, dead fingers before I can get any play time on it.

The iPod touch is made for music... Why is it being compared to an Internet Tablet? They may be able to do some of the same things, but the goal of each device as a whole is completely different. Apple makes hardware and software for a specific purpose and it only works for what Jobs want it to work for. It will be excellent at what he want's it to do, though.

http://geekpenguin.blogspot.com/2007/09/ipod-touch.html

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
They haven't broken 1 million yet, nevermind 10.
The point's been made, but it's worth re-iterating: 1m devices was mentioned at the "Beat goes on" event; I'll wager a gazillion dollarpounds that that's oooh - 1, 2, 3? - orders of magnitude more than any Nokia Internet Tablets.

The iPod Touch and the N800 *do* compete for the same market segment (whether they compete for the same users is a different question). As do the iPhone and the N800; but at least with the iPod Touch we can ignore all those silly "but the N800's not a phone" arguments.
  • Both are marketed as "multimedia" devices (remember the "N"? That's (the marketing reason) why we don't get PIM.
  • Both have wifi.
  • Both have web browsers.
  • The iPod Touch is already better known.
  • The iPod Touch has a better, more integrated, well-thought out UI.

These are the majority of the feature items for this kind of consumer device. The lack of BT DUN/PAN on the iPod could register in some potential customers' minds.

Nokia are crap at marketing. Nokia are too busy trying to be all things to all people. Nokia have been too busy copying desktop metaphors.

Some of the decisions Nokia have taken are necessity due to having to re-UI massive amounts of open source code to fit their "brand"; others are of their own making; some are seemingly impossible for anyone but Apple to achieve.

Suffice to say, if it had a couple more built-in apps, and - most importantly - Bluetooth for headphones & keyboard; I'd seriously consider switching to a Touch.

...and that hurts, because the N800 has the *potential* to be so much more, I such can't see how we're going to get from here to there.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
+1 aflegg

Like it or not, love the N800 or not, agree whether the Touch and N800 compete or not, the Apple iPod Touch is what Nokia need to aspire to in terms of usability, quality and appeal in order to reach the mass consumer.

The internet browser focus of the NIT is no longer a differentiating factor - Apple have just relegated the browser to the "me too" department where every connected device will now be expected to come with browser functionality. Nokia Internet Tablets are no longer special or unique - the Archos and other video players now have web browsers, along with of course the Nintendo DS, Sony PSP etc.

Nokia need to focus on the other areas not (currently) covered by Apple - PIM (move on from the "Internet Tablets don't do PIM" mantra - Apple just moved the goalposts), e-mail (a standing joke and untouched since the original IT OS release), RSS reader (more unintentional laughs, and well past it's sell by date), media player (usable but somewhat unintuitive and very plain/uninspired), VoIP (so many disparate efforts, although the choice is a good thing) while ensuring the overall UI used by *ALL* applications is consistent and *damned* "sexy".

Take a leaf out of Palms book, get the NIT working as a mobile phone companion syncing contacts, calendars and email etc., take a look at Canola/Kagu/UKMP for ideas on how the media player can be radically improved, replace the e-mail and RSS clients with something worthy of the device - the current implementations are CRAP. Jazz up the UI - get some 3D/OpenGL support going, the hardware is in the device - use it.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-09-09 at 05:26.