Notices

Originally Posted by iskarion View Post
Did you double check if you are really still using the Webkit engine? If the Webkit Engine is crashing, the browser is automatically switching back to the default engine
and you have to manually select the Webkit engine again in the Webkit settings tool.

I wish that was my problem then it would be a simple fix. W ebkit is definatly the engine because 1. kinetic scrolling 2. % instead of elements when loading. It looks like i am headed for a reflash. oh well.

Originally Posted by vtolkov View Post
I can't make it working. It just says Updating whatever engine I choose. Reboot does not help.
Somehow I managed to run it. I've uninstalled and installed it again a couple of times with reboots in between. I do not know why it wasn't working at the first place.

There are some minor and major problems I see:
1. It does not ask for the password when site requires basic authorization. So the only workaround is to specify user/password in URL.
2. After the experiments with webkit I noticed, that tablet now drains battery quickly. In fact, battery is empty after a night in offline sleep, which was not a case before. I can't take it anywhere, it needs charging all the time. Why would that?

Ended up doing a reflash and it seems to be working again. Just a heads up to pronvit, or whorver is developing it, it would load the page to what seemed like a random percentage, between 50-80, and then sit there at that point for a long time. Then it would load 1% more and sit for a while. I have no clue what it was, but it made the browser slower than the default. Running again and happy to have my browser sans scrollbars back.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
could it be some kind of javascript issue?

was it just a single page, or all pages?

oh, and right now there is no way to stop webkit from loading flash elements. im not sure if that could result in such a issue but still...

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
It does it all the time here, I thought it was normal

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Maybe a Newb question but all seems to have gone ok with the install and can choose in the webkit settings which browser to use but when I open the browser all looks the same ie menus shortcuts ect. Seems alot faster loading but is there anyway in the browser to tell that you are actually running webkit instead of micro B?
Thanks again for your work on this :-)

@casper27:

The way I know which browser I'm using is the loading progress bar: with Microb, the bar loads out of elements/kb's, while Webkit always loads out of percent (so Microb can be x/x while Webkit is always x/100).

Also, with Microb go to www.google.com : see where the more arrow is? Now check that same page with Webkit (Thank you for webkit, pronvit, that always bothered me w/Microb!).

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Thanks BrentDC I looked at the percentage and could tell the difference. Cheers

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wichita, KS
personally, i'm not seeing much of a speed difference with webkit. just thought i'd put that out there. kinetic scrolling is the only benefit i can see, which is fun, but it's outweighed by the lack of "right-click" functionality for saving images, opening links in new windows, and copying and pasting from the web. i'm sticking with gecko for now.

concerning copy-and-paste: this can be done via the app menu, of course, but when i tried this yesterday i found the "paste" option grayed out in xterm. i guess that qualifies clipboard functionality as a missing feature.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
more like a hit or miss feature, sometimes i have seen selected text loose "focus" when the onscreen keyboard is displayed (my usual way of doing copy, owning a N800) but im unsure if that was only webkit, or if i have seen that behavior in microb as well...

Tags
browser, webkit