Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Here is a Galaxy S II GL Benchmark result:

This is extremely impressive. A bit under the iPad 2 framerates (at half the resolution @ 800x480), but not by much. Certainly worthy of next generation games.

The Odroid-A seems to be pushing similar numbers (slightly lower) at a 30% higher resolution of 1366x768, so it might suggest that for the GL Benchmark tests, the resolution isn't the major bottleneck. GL Benchmark 3 will allow for rendering to an off-screen buffer to alleviate this 'guessing' when comparing GPUs from devices with different resolutions.

The iPad 2 is looking like the clear champ with the impressive A5 w/ PVR SGX 543MP, but the Exynos 4210 w/ Mali-400MP is certainly up there and more enough to compete very, very closely.

Here are more benchmarks:
http://domarmstrong.blogspot.com/201...ark-tests.html

The beauty of this device is that it has fantastic hardware inside and out. This is looking to be the must-have smartphone of 2011. Nothing even comes close.

Enjoy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
This is looking like the Nexus surprise for today: Video/Voice via GTalk to Gingerbread 2.3.4:

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/201...oid-phone.html

Not a big surprise, this was announced more than a few pages ago.

But why oh, why isn't this just an app?!? Surely Android (circa 2.1) can support video chat. Must it be woven into the chain-mail of the OS?

I really like the functionality, but the implementation leaves me scratching my head. This should be completely modularized from the OS source and available to all Android users.

I suppose Google has to keep people wanting the latest versions....

EDIT: I see that it's coming to other Android 2.3 in a short bit. I suspect that they're leveraging the SIP API that was made available in v2.3. I suppose this is ok... I'm more relaxed now, I swear....

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2011-04-28 at 21:14.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
If you haven't checked out the lineup of Google IO talks, you may want to do so now. The list has grown considerably over the weeks.

http://www.google.com/events/io/2011/sessions.html

I'm interested in many of the Android talks including:
  • Building Aggressively compatible Android Games
  • Bringing C/C++ Games to Android (to find out what's new)
  • Accelerated 2D rendering
  • Honeycomb Highlights
  • HTML5 versus Android: Apps or Web for Mobile Development?
  • Fireside Chat with the Android Team

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Waiting for a SAMOLED tablet? Wait longer...

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/04/sam...let-this-year/

According to this, there are not SAMOLED tablets coming this year... Maybe in 2012.

But based on prior reports of a 7" SAMOLED coming, a new 7" Galaxy Tab is very likely.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Not really android news, but very interesting nonetheless.

It seems that Nokia is 'restructuring' and axing the jobs of some 7,000 workers:

http://www.dailytech.com/Nokia+Restr...ticle21477.htm

The worst part is that the firing will continue through 2013... I suppose that's one way to improve the bottom line.

What a sad turn of events... It really blows for the workers...
This is what happens when your company executives can't hear their customers over the sound of how awesome they are. The new corporate identify can be summed up as: "If we ignore the customers, maybe they'll just go away."
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
The new corporate identify can be summed up as: "If we ignore the customers, maybe they'll just go away."
What do you mean "new"?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
It seems that the Xperia X10 has received a honeycomb port:

http://adwords.google.com/support/aw...&page=guide.cs

What works:
  • The Honeycomb GUI
  • WiFi Connectivity
  • Correctly mapped keys
  • Phone charging
  • ADB connect
  • Touchscreen functionality

I hope this dispels the notion that 'special hardware' is needed to run what is ultimately a moblie OS.

After an update to the Plex app, it will run on phones and tablets alike:

http://darrin.plexapp.com/2011/04/27...other-tablets/
MARKET LINK: https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

One binary to rule them all, one binary to find them, one binary to bring them all and in the darkness bind them...

I expect that many developers will follow with similar strategies. No need to create an entirely new app, it only requires an update to the UI. Of course, this may be more simply said than done.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I'm not sure how this slipped in under the radar but it has EXTREME potential...

MoboPlayer

I installed it and I think I'll keep it, even though I think the Samsung player still feels like a better player--but they seem very similar in several ways too. I did notice one exceedingly useful feature--it can play video streams over RTSP and HTTP... which means it works GREAT in combination with File Expert's ability to create a local "live stream" of SMB share video files. (i.e. I can browse a SMB/CIFS share, tap on a video and play it with MoboPlayer... seemlessly.) EXCELLENT stuff! I played videos this way today off my main server and it worked beautifully and without stutter. Best of all--you don't actually need to be rooted to do any of this--so ANYONE can use these two programs together to watch videos off their shares.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm not sure how this slipped in under the radar but it has EXTREME potential...

MoboPlayer

I installed it and I think I'll keep it, even though I think the Samsung player still feels like a better player--but they seem very similar in several ways too. I did notice one exceedingly useful feature--it can play video streams over RTSP and HTTP... which means it works GREAT in combination with File Expert's ability to create a local "live stream" of SMB share video files. (i.e. I can browse a SMB/CIFS share, tap on a video and play it with MoboPlayer... seemlessly.) EXCELLENT stuff! I played videos this way today off my main server and it worked beautifully and without stutter. Best of all--you don't actually need to be rooted to do any of this--so ANYONE can use these two programs together to watch videos off their shares.
Woah! That sounds seriously excellent, and pretty much what I've been looking for.

What about the format support?

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy