Notices

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by rjneid View Post
i flashed my device two days ago and starting fresh i downloaded HERMES, but since then whenever i start the application, it shows as if it loading then it closes by itself .. anymsuggestions ?!
Two people raised this as a bug, and I thank them for it, as it's much easier to track (see MB#11468 and MB#11476). This is now fixed in v0.8.7 which should be going through to Extras-devel shortly.

I'm still waiting for someone suffering from the "birthdays not coming from Facebook" to attach a 0.8.6 (or 0.8.7) log to MB#11103 (how to create a log).

Originally Posted by rantom View Post
Well, it's a bit too late now, sorry. I already fixed my contacts but basically I did it like this (by the way, see bug #10721):
[LIST=1][*]Set the contacts in Surname, Firstname order.[*]Launch Hermes.[*]Press Refresh.[*]You'll get contacts imported (after verification, if not already verified to Facebook).[*]Hermes creates new contacts, that are in Firstname Surname order and as new contacts, instead of assigned Surname, Firstname to already existing contacts.
This last point is not captured on the issue, though! MB#10721 is about the display of contacts. There is nothing in there about there being an issue with matching friends.

FWIW, your "steps to reproduce" are incomplete. Can you confirm the following would do it:

Steps to reproduce
  1. Sign-in to Facebook and make friends with Joe Bloggs
  2. Open Contacts
  3. Select Settings > Display Names > Last name, First name
  4. Create a new contact:
    1. First name: Joe
    2. Last name: Bloggs
    3. Mobile: +123456789
  5. Open Hermes
  6. Tick Accounts > Facebook > Create birthday only contacts
  7. Click Retrieve
  8. Open Contacts

Expected outcome
"Bloggs, Joe" contact has an avatar, a birthday and a link to Facebook.

Actual outcome
A new "Joe Bloggs" (one name) contact has been created, with first name (???) and last name (???); a birthday and a Facebook link. "Bloggs, Joe" is untouched.
If so, could you create an issue for that? If that isn't what you mean, please could you explain in more detail :-)

And as a sidenote, Hermes also automatically imports avatars from Facebook-users to the already existing and the new ones, without asking.
That's the point of the Refresh option.

Thanks for the help though. I've already reported a bug to the Bugzilla regarding the birthday, see bug #11103.
More information now required with the latest versions regarding the full log.

Originally Posted by shanrizvi View Post
I have been having a strange problem consistently for a very long time now. It might be because I have a lot of Facebook friends and contacts in my phone book but every time I click on any of those two buttons, the result is unpredictable. Sometimes, it works. Sometimes, it just halts, looks like its going to die but ends up working. Sometimes, it gets stuck and stays there my battery dies.
Please raise a bug, attaching a log as described above.

yea i used to have the issue for birhday for facebook not coming up. but i have flashed my device to 1.3 now. i guess i will have to wait until the latest build comes out

Hi Jaffa, thank you for this great app.

I'm the reporter of bug #11372

It doesn't work with non-English language FaceBook names

Do you need more informaiton or logs? Please tell me, thanks!

Originally Posted by etonline View Post
I'm the reporter of bug #11372 It doesn't work with non-English language FaceBook names
OTTOMH, the byte sequences (presumably UTF-8) reported by osso-abook; the normalised version from within the code (though this should be reverse engineerable) and the JSON/XML coming back over the wire from Facebook.

It would be easiest if you could create a new "person" on Facebook who I can befriend with the detail of how to enter the same person in Contacts.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
OTTOMH, the byte sequences (presumably UTF-8) reported by osso-abook; the normalised version from within the code (though this should be reverse engineerable) and the JSON/XML coming back over the wire from Facebook.

It would be easiest if you could create a new "person" on Facebook who I can befriend with the detail of how to enter the same person in Contacts.
Hi Jaffa, thank for your reply.

You can just add me "Jacky Lin".
It seems that I can't use PM system in this board..
Any way to give you private messages to discuss this? Thank you!

-----------
Just send a mail to the mail address in your signature.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by etonline View Post
It seems that I can't use PM system in this board..
For spam prevention reasons, you'll need to make five posts before you can send or receive private messages.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Birthday sync still not working on PR1.3? I still cant sync my contacts' birthdays on my phone.

Any news?

I can confirm on pr1.3 i am also having problems with synching birthdays. have ensured contacts are matched. Have tried with update and refresh options.

Tags
application, birthday, contact, contacts, facebook, fremantle, hermes, information, jaffa, maemo, maemo 5, photo, photos, sync, synchronization, twitter, url, website