Active Topics

There is also an assumption that the next device will be Arm based, based on todays announcement all bets are off as far as I am concerned.
Intel have an agenda, maybe there is a ultra low power Atom multi-core processor around the corner. They sure as hell cant be happy with the state of play in the Arm market creeping up to their turf.

Atom on Meego
Arm on Symbian

That sounds very tidy to me, and would explain a lot.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by nightfire View Post
Wait wait wait wait. What's this I hear about Meego/Maemo moving to RPM? God, I hope not. Debian's packaging system is vastly superior. Please Nokia! Please stick with APT & dpkg!
That really is just rubbish. Can you back it up with anything? Anything at all?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
The only significant technical problem I've seen expressed is ARM-compatible rpms or the lack thereof. A legitimate concern I suppose.
Not really, I think. It's never been safe to install binary packages from one distribution on another, and despite the large volume of Debian debs available for ARM no-one should be installing them on a Maemo system (with the exception of things like Easy Debian, obviously). There's no particular reason to think that it would be any harder to MeeGo-ify an RPM than it already is to Maemo-ize a deb. In either case you're going to have to rebuild it for the target OS at the very least, and given the UI differences probably take on some more proper porting work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
just a quick question, i want to make myself clear of this:

what are the negatives/cons of the n900 not getting meego?
is it just the amount of apps produced for the n900?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
The point is - is this a change for the sake of change or is there anything to actually win by the switch (i.e. why was it 'easier' for Maemo to accept RPM than Moblin to do the same for DEB) ?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
Not really, I think. It's never been safe to install binary packages from one distribution on another, and despite the large volume of Debian debs available for ARM no-one should be installing them on a Maemo system (with the exception of things like Easy Debian, obviously). There's no particular reason to think that it would be any harder to MeeGo-ify an RPM than it already is to Maemo-ize a deb. In either case you're going to have to rebuild it for the target OS at the very least, and given the UI differences probably take on some more proper porting work.
True, true. Anyway, point is there will be sufficient combined resources available now to simply overwhelm any problems. And plenty of motivation to use them to slow down the iPhone/Android stampede.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Why they did not choose the slackware packages. They are more mature ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to pschroth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I think the bit that worries me most about this is the effect on the community. ... the community here is something that has become very important to me, and I'm concerned that this will impact it in unhelpful ways.
And what will become of t.m.o.? Moblin has nothing remotely like it - will it too become obsolete?
I'm sorry but I find this strangely comforting.

Someone who only showed up here, with a major presence, a few months ago to celebrate the non-tabletness of the Nokia N900 phone and told the existing (internettablettalk.com) community to move on with the (N8x0-obsoleting) times now finds the shoe on the other foot.

Sorry.. just found it amusing.

Nothing to see here. Move along...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
The point is - is this a change for the sake of change or is there anything to actually win by the switch (i.e. why was it 'easier' for Maemo to accept RPM than Moblin to do the same for DEB) ?
I have the feeling that since Nokia and Intel had agreed on a partnership, they have looked for something which they could produce as a visible outcome of this partnership. So Intel forced its Moblin into it. As I see it, Moblin does not have anything to offer to Maemo, so their token contribution is the RPM packaging. Moblin has not gone anywhere, and Intel probably would have silently buried the project in the months to come. Now they can at least drag Maemo (which is doing quite well in production) with it.

I am being cynical.

The Following User Says Thank You to gemi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by modeless View Post
What I do not understand: if it is so easy to port meego to different hardware: why does nokia not just do it - maybe as proof of concept - and make many N900 users happy instead of angry?
Indeed, this would make perfect sense. Actually, it's hard to imagine why they wouldn't do it!
The HW is still up to date and available, they have developers who already know how to use it, they have an opportunity to prove a point they are trying to make. Simply put, a pure win-win for everyone.

I really hope they won't blow this one.

The Following User Says Thank You to RFS-81 For This Useful Post:

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war