Active Topics

Notices

actually I know of pocketbook using fbreader and that is why I made the suggestion to rob1n that he bundle up all his changes and make (yea like you can just snap your fingers and start a company I know) a deicated pocket ereader. The changes implemented so far have made the n900 my goto reader over my kindle dx for text books. A few months back kindle tested the dx in schools vs text books and the result was a flop. I do wonder if it had all the intuitive things fbreader has for navigation/customization if the trst result would have been different...of course it requires touch and only sony is doing that well now...

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Version 0.12.10-17 now uploaded for both Fremantle and Diablo.

This adds a check for stylus movement being triggered outside the window. This should prevent the text selection from going crazy when selecting the system menu or task switcher.
OMG Thank You!!!

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
actually I know of pocketbook using fbreader and that is why I made the suggestion to rob1n that he bundle up all his changes and make (yea like you can just snap your fingers and start a company I know) a deicated pocket ereader.
Well, my first plan is to bundle up the changes and get them pushed into the main FBReader codebase. Many of the new features will be useful on other platforms as well, and it'd be good to get the Maemo-specific code cleaned up. It'll take me some time getting the changes organised into logical chunks first though.

Version 0.12.10-18 now uploaded for both Fremantle and Diablo.

The user-visible changes are:
  • Fixed bug in motion detection, which was causing short scrolls to fail.
  • Fixed spacing of indicator bar items.
  • Network Library support
  • Enforced ordering for popup menu entries

The Network Library support was actually already enabled, it's just that when it loads the configuration files for the external libraries, it ignores symlinks. The optification process was moving all the config files and replacing them with symlinks though, preventing them from being loaded. Anyway, I've told it to look for symlinks as well now, and have added all the normal scrolling/popup support to the Network Library view as well.

The popup menu entries are now ordered as they are in the config file (/usr/share/FBReader/default/popupmenu.xml), so this may help with accidentally pressing the Quit button. You can also just remove the appropriate entry from the file if you don't want it to appear at all.

The source code changes are available from here.

EDIT: Oh, and I've had a quick look into dictionary support. There's built-in support for calling out to an external dictionary program (the intention looks to be to supply a cross-platform implementation along with FBReader, but that's not finished yet) but I'll need to find whether this can be made to work with any of the Maemo dictionary apps.

Last edited by Rob1n; 2010-11-18 at 18:51.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
EDIT: Oh, and I've had a quick look into dictionary support. There's built-in support for calling out to an external dictionary program (the intention looks to be to supply a cross-platform implementation along with FBReader, but that's not finished yet) but I'll need to find whether this can be made to work with any of the Maemo dictionary apps.
Integrating with QStardict would be great. Alternatively, showing a small popup window with a definition of highlighted word in the text. It would save me typing the word all the time in QStardict when I really want to know what authors really mean.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Wow. network support works for me! I successfully downloaded Jane Austen's Persuasion from feedbooks.com.

Some notes:

--For some reason I had to open an xterm and become root and run apt-get upgrade before I could find the new version of FBreader.

--I set my copy of FBReader so that it opens in library view. From there, it's hard at first to figure out how to search the net for a book. You have to open a specific book before you see the globe, which is what you click on to search the net.

--Feedbooks.com was checked in my Preferences so I could access it. It's not quite as good as Project Gutenberg, I think, but it still gives you a lifetime and more of free reading.Another site, manybooks.net, is also available. As I recall, it also gives lots of free reading. I didn't try it yet today.

--With my usual luck, when I went to download Persuasion, I had two identical choices for the same book (see attached screenshot). I picked the second one and it turned out to be Persuasion in French, not what I had in mind. I easily deleted it and downloaded the first one, which was the English version.

This is great!
Attached Images

Thanks you have seriously improved fbreader, looks like this release really is the cumulation of a lot of great work you have done..

Originally Posted by gsever View Post
Integrating with QStardict would be great. Alternatively, showing a small popup window with a definition of highlighted word in the text. It would save me typing the word all the time in QStardict when I really want to know what authors really mean.
QStardict will search from the command line, so this should be straightforward to integrate. Unfortunately, it doesn't handle being launched again if it's already running, so this'll cause some complications.

I'm looking into adding RPC support (which is the cleaner way to do this) into MStarDict - I've got a basic version working, but I need to get it all cleaned up and add a couple more features. If that works okay, I'll take a look at QStardict as well - then it'll depend on whether the developers will include the patches. I also need to check on whether I can define multiple dictionaries in the config file.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
--I set my copy of FBReader so that it opens in library view. From there, it's hard at first to figure out how to search the net for a book. You have to open a specific book before you see the globe, which is what you click on to search the net.
I'll look at the implications of allowing it to be launched from either view.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
--With my usual luck, when I went to download Persuasion, I had two identical choices for the same book (see attached screenshot). I picked the second one and it turned out to be Persuasion in French, not what I had in mind. I easily deleted it and downloaded the first one, which was the English version.
I'll have a look at whether this is information that's accessible via the API - showing the language would certainly be useful.

I am not have any luck on my n800 with the new version. When ever it tries to use the library it hangs. This happens when I let it try to convert - after 15 mins I killed it... Then I removed the .FBReader dir and tried again. This time it will start and I can get in options. If I try to add a book (from a local fs) I can select it, but it hangs when trying to put it in the library.

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck. Are there new libs used that are not in the deps?

Ideas?
Ed

Funny how people are different - I absolutely hate having text to reread when I flip a page...