Posts: 635 | Thanked: 1,535 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Germany
Download Kernel v8 with CONFIG_HZ=100

@minimec

I use the linaro toolchain to build the kernel(linaro 4.9.4 with Cortex A15 optimizations) and the Makefiles contain some specific linaro optimizations flags, that could have caused the errors you have encountered. Since v8 of the kernel you have to compile it with the 'make CONFIG_NO_ERROR_ON_MISMATCH=y' option or else you'll get an error at the end of compiling.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mautz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 318 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by mautz View Post

@minimec

I use the linaro toolchain to build the kernel(linaro 4.9.4 with Cortex A15 optimizations) and the Makefiles contain some specific linaro optimizations flags, that could have caused the errors you have encountered. Since v8 of the kernel you have to compile it with the 'make CONFIG_NO_ERROR_ON_MISMATCH=y' option or else you'll get an error at the end of compiling.
Thank you so much. I really hope that that 100Hz will improve battery life.

Also THX for your explanations regarding Kernel cross compilation. I will give it a new try. My idea was to enable zram maybe. That would again increase power consumption a little bit, but might help 'sfdroid' users.

Again... THX for your amazing work.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to minimec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA

@minimec

@mautz, fantastic work. Thank you for your efforts and kindness. This is exactly why I love this community!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe

@minimec

Thank you.

Do we have a kernel package of the default installation for fallback
purposes if something goes wrong after days, weeks?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by BluesLee View Post
Thank you.

What happens if you flash the original 2.0.1.11 over it again to recover from a broken kernel, will that also wipe your data and settings?

The Following User Says Thank You to maximilian1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 1,535 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Germany
Originally Posted by BluesLee View Post
Thank you.

I could easily build one, grab the original source and use the original config to build one. I could upload a build of the original kernel.

@maximillian1st

A new flash will wipe your data. But you could tar your home directory and restore it afterwards...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mautz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 318 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Switzerland
News from the 100Hz front.

I had my phone over 8 hours in stand-by mode (idle) over night and lost 8% battery power.

I guess we can say that this is an improvement... I am pretty happy with these results.

Settings:
I was on 'msm-mpdecision' hotplug managment, slight undervolt, 'conservative' as governor.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to minimec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by minimec View Post
News from the 100Hz front.

I had my phone over 8 hours in stand-by mode (idle) over night and lost 8% battery power.

I guess we can say that this is an improvement... I am pretty happy with these results.

Settings:
I was on 'msm-mpdecision' hotplug managment, slight undervolt, 'conservative' as governor.
The crucial battery drain for me seems to be related to mobile network, at least when i am connected to wifi the drain is much less. I will test the kernel in the upcoming days.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
I can confirm these observations, a great deal less power drain at idle. Still seeing the massive drain with screen on time, though. AIDA, top, lighthouse, nothing shows any crazy usage. I thought maybe it was doing something goofy with the GPU clock when web browsing and the like, so I stuck it at 100MHz for testing. Same results.

I don't really expect to get more than a day and a half total, but the screen on drain is very frustrating.

Still testing, still digging.

I do believe 100Hz timer is the right direction, though. Great work guys!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Do you guys use multirom at all? I had read that it wasn't the preferred method a while back, so I typically do a native install. Are there any side effects or drawbacks to using multirom for sailfish alongside other OS'es?

The Following User Says Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:

Tags
hammerhead, nexus5, sailfishos, sfdroid