Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
hmm, i just noticed that the summary shown when selecting the globe in the folder tree shows 160 messages for one of my pop3 accounts...

but then thats the account that was crashing modest at one time, so...

btw, that tree should have a option to show the inbox of all accounts at the same time imo...

having to go to the menu to select view->account each time i want to switch is needlessly cumbersome...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
So far, 19-1 seems quite stable. I confess, it has been only a few hours. But a few hours of bliss as my messages are marked "read" and the little blue light flashes appropriately (without causing Internal Errors). Thanks for the feedback!

Just a note, if you are getting errors with Modest 19-1, try cleaning your system of all Modest-related settings (using my previous post) first.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Tennessee
I am running Modest 19-1 on a n810. I have Gmail Imap set up. My problem is when conneted to my home network i am unable to update my mail. But when i go through my Nokia E51 phone iI am able to. I have searched and found no answers. I am going through a Linksys WRT54G router. I have cleared all traces of Modest off my tablet and reinstalled Modest but nothing changes. I can't update. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
I have no problems with my Linksys WRT54GL.

Another issue I had today:

I left my N810 alone for two hours, fully charged. When I pick it up, I had an Internal Error message, the LED was blinking, the N810 was hot and the battery almost empty.

Last edited by alephito; 2008-05-09 at 20:41.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Here's a little script to automate the removal of your current version of Modest. I would recommend using this (or something very similar) every time you upgrade or downgrade Modest, that way you don't inherit problems from previously installed versions...
Is this the preferred method as opposed to simply uninstalling modest and installing a newer version?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
grumble, it seems that modest really dont like it when there are some kind of load balancing behind a pop address. while one of my accounts have no problem removing a mail thats no longer on the server, the other just keeps adding to the inbox

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I just updated to 19. Read status is *STILL* not transmitted correctly.
OK, quick update on this issue (was chatting with a couple of the devs on #maemo). How it should happen (apparently, I could have misunderstood), is that the read status is updated either when switching folders or closing Modest. They delay the update until either of those instances (presumably) to reduce cpu load/ram usage/network usage/ whatever.

[7:07am] <sergio> if you mark a header as read
[7:07am] <sergio> it won't be updated in the server
[7:08am] <sergio> until you select another folder
[7:08am] <sergio> or close the program of course
[7:08am] <sergio> because we delay that update until that
What seems to be happening (for some people, anyway) is that it only updates when you close Modest (in my case and in X-Fade's case specifically) and not when you change folders.

Evidently it was something that was "fixed" previously and may have cropped up again or wasn't fixed in all cases. If people experiencing this want do a little more testing (when/if updates occur, whether manually marking as read behaves differently than actual reading, etc) and report any finding to the bug #2987, it'll help the devs pinpoint the issue and get us a fix.

In any case, the issue is being looked into.

For anybody that's interested in seeing the full conversation, it's from 14:00 onward here.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-05-16 at 11:59.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
How it should happen (apparently, I could have misunderstood), is that the read status is updated either when switching folders or closing Modest. They delay the update until either of those instances (presumably) to reduce cpu load/ram usage/network usage/ whatever.
That's crazy talk. I don't get a lot of mail and have almost never left the inbox of gmail while using the n810. I do most of my mail management when at my main computer. That's why I don't see the updates as well when doing a refresh of the folder?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
OK, sergio fixed the issue. Fix should be coming in the next public release.

Read status only updated in folder-change or app closure? Hmmm....I better put in a request tonight. I'd MUCH prefer if it updated flags during the new-mail check. At least make it an option.

- Jim

Tags
mail modest