Posts: 355 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Please try to see the code that Telescope uses for closing windows. May be you will notice something wrong there.

It would be interesting to check if XTerm and browser windows are actually closed normally by telescope, or telescope makes them to crash I think telescope might be sending incorrect or messages to closed windows and this might cause segfault or X errors in XTerm process

Actually, I havn't tested Telescope anywhere except N8x0. But some guys were successfully used it in mobile Ubuntu with LXDE as well.

If I recall correctly, X errors while closing windows were "normal", I mean they appeared on N8x0 too, but without any side effects.

Of cource, places where you have fixed syntax due to newer version of GCC need not to be decorated with defines.

Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
What is not working:
*Telescope has titlebar and close button (close button will crash telescope)
The Fremantle window manager might not support _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_SPLASH and therefore doesn't remove decorations. Try setting the _MOTIF_WM_HINTS property to disable decorations, if Telescope doesn't already set it. See line 485 at https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...ui&view=markup for code to do it.

Hey, auouymous, good to see you here again Thanks for hint.

Originally Posted by Mitrandir View Post
It would be interesting to check if XTerm and browser windows are actually closed normally by telescope, or telescope makes them to crash I think telescope might be sending incorrect or messages to closed windows and this might cause segfault or X errors in XTerm process
No segfaults at least, or my /media/mmc1/core-dumps would be a lot fuller than it is.

On Diablo there is no segfaults, of course. But may be on Fremantle, with its different window manager?

Is there any way to run telescope on debian/ubuntu on pc?

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted by riv64 View Post
Is there any way to run telescope on debian/ubuntu on pc?
I "third" this request (I have made it looooooong before myself). If it runs on Ubuntu, it'll probably also run on Arch.

I'd love to have this on my laptop, it's blazing fast.

Hi,

Telescope surely can work on desktop, but it requires some slight midifications to work well with modern desktop window managers.

I just spent 10 minutes to build Telescope on my Ubuntu 12.04 and I got it work. But only with invoking from command line because binding to F5 key doens't work.

So, I need some time to fix key binding, to teach Telescope to use gnome’s background and may be to do some other fixes.

Currently I’m very busy but if you will ping me a bit later I will try to fix it and to build deb-package for ubuntu (and some installation script for Arch )

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mitrandir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Lisbon, Portugal
Eager, eager, eager to try it out

I use DWM as my window manager, so all this talk about "modern desktop window managers" is crazy to me :P

Invoking from command line also sounds perfect to me, really.

BTW, I just got my Raspberry Pi - everything configured, working brilliantly, including XBMC & 1080p video - so this is something I'd love to try there, as well - also with DWM. So, it's a promise that there'll be pics & probably a video of Telescope working on a RasPi. Great advertising

Oh, and I just ressurrected my N800... as a remote controller for XBMC, through the web interface (for now). It's a great combination!

Okay Anyway, Telescope needs some slight refactoring in some Maemo-specific places.

And I'm not sure that Launcher will work fine on non-maemo. Do you need it? I can simply disable it if it’s not needed.