Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by jnack95 View Post
Or quit whining, learn assembler and write your own drivers! I don't really care if they don't want to share their code for their devices, as long as they provide current binary drivers for use.....the idea that everything has to be open source is not practical.
Or quit quoting people and saying all those stuff if you can't do that yourself. If you so great then write it up and share it with the community and stop telling people to do things that you think its easy to do. I don't care whether they are sharing it or not but Opensource is open. Sure they did provide the current binary. So what? there are always something to hide But you are right.

I guess whining here won't make anything happened. Better just move on to a new device or OS, after all Maemo5 is pretty dead in term of future wise. We won't see maemo in the future device, so Go meeGo!! save me haha.

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
... after all Maemo5 is pretty dead in term of future wise....
This is so wrong in more than one aspect I feel compelled to clarify:
Maemo is right now.
As far as "right now" is concerned this is the moment when Maemo is really necessary.
The handover to Meego and Meego devices will take at least a year
before any serious traction begins to occur.
In the meantime we have Maemo and that is all there is.
Meego is coming but it is still down the road with a long list of hurdles to pass
before it is anywhere near as usable as what we currently have with the n900 and Maemo.
True enough it will fade away but right now
and for the immediate future Maemo on the n900 is all we can really count on.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
How did you know that? I've been smoking my fish mate.
Well that's europe, I'm talking about in Pacific region. How much is N97-mini over there? here is $1150 NZD and iPhone4 is $1200 16Gb.

Think about it, which one is more over priced?
After a quick google i found the n97-mini goes for $600 NZD.. i am sure you could find an even better price if you took time with it. So it's about half the iPhone4.

http://www.gadgetsonline.co.nz/gadge...ini-Black.html

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
After a quick google i found the n97-mini goes for $600 NZD.. i am sure you could find an even better price if you took time with it. So it's about half the iPhone4.

http://www.gadgetsonline.co.nz/gadge...ini-Black.html
Two words:
Parallel Import!

Vodafone selling them for 1150NZD. Vodafone and telecom are the only Qualified Nokia reseller, the rest are dodgy.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS

Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
This is so wrong in more than one aspect I feel compelled to clarify:
Maemo is right now.
As far as "right now" is concerned this is the moment when Maemo is really necessary.
The handover to Meego and Meego devices will take at least a year
before any serious traction begins to occur.
In the meantime we have Maemo and that is all there is.
Meego is coming but it is still down the road with a long list of hurdles to pass
before it is anywhere near as usable as what we currently have with the n900 and Maemo.
True enough it will fade away but right now
and for the immediate future Maemo on the n900 is all we can really count on.
Not sure, if you all know that one:
"Nokia plans update with dual-boot MeeGo option for N900"
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...0-1107926.html

Also quite interesting but only in German:
"Nokias MeeGo-Mann wechselt zu Palm"
translated:
"Nokias MeeGo-man goes to Palm"
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldu...m-1108768.html
but I did not find the English version of the article.
Similar news here:
http://www.zdnetasia.com/hp-finally-...m-62203756.htm

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
About the 2012 thing, we knew about it so we will make sure the update came before the 12/12/2012. At latest would be 11/12/2012. So you have about 1 day to celebrate before we all vanished completely.
Huh? I thought the 2012 "end of the world", Age of Aquarius, Galactic Alignment, etc. thing was supposedly on December 21, 2012? Honestly, I hadn't EVER seen it as 12/12 until you just mentioned it. According to this Wikipedia page, I only see ONE popular reference to that date (by Evangelical Christian minister John Hagee): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Two words:
Parallel Import!

Vodafone selling them for 1150NZD. Vodafone and telecom are the only Qualified Nokia reseller, the rest are dodgy.
I am not sure what paralell import means.. but it can hardly be Nokias fault.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
I am not sure what paralell import means.. but it can hardly be Nokias fault.
P.I is an internation import of a product that isn't locally made for that region. Usually Asia import. Cheaper but quality somewhat vary. It doesn't come with Nokia warranty.

It's Nokia's fault though not directly. Nokia recomended retail price is $1150NZD, basically always over $1000 price range on any new Nokia N-series. My first 6680 was released 8months oversea before it reached NZ and sold at $1100NZD oversea is $500NZD, My N95-1 is 7months released else where and hit NZ after that cost $1200NZD, My N93-i $1180 released after 1year over sea. lol damn!

I spent so much grands on Nokia phones.Nokia NZ is ripping NZders of big time.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
just like I've been saying all along Nokia are the reason why flash 10.1 is not on the n900.
the reasons why is
1. Nokia wants everyone to upgrade to N9 for it
or
2. performance is just not good enough on n900 for Nokia to want to release it.
it is probably the combination: not wanting to make bugfixes for getting it running smoothly. It is better to use the manhours to improve flash for new unannounced devices instead of lengthening a life of commercially next to death product.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:

Tags
bestthreadever, meego, o6eew, open mobile ftw, pr1.3, stop talking, wegoo meego