Originally Posted by Yminus View Post
That is what all claim - I guess the NSA officials also believe that they collect data only to improve their service. This justifies nothing.
With that approach it doesn't really matter if they say anything at all, and it doesn't matter what finnish law (under which they operate) says about things. But it makes me wonder, why on earth do you use any advanced communications device if you are so afraid of being spied on by just about everyone?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
But it makes me wonder, why on earth do you use any advanced communications device if you are so afraid of being spied on by just about everyone?
If law enforcement, Intelligence agencies and ISPs are spying on me I can't change that.
But when buying a phone I have a choice. I like the Jolla phone and I like my N900. But I was very disappointed when I found out that Jolla Ltd, like most of the other manufacturers, are forcing me to have an account. I don't understand the reason and so far none of you explained it to me. All you say is that I am paranoid and it does not matter.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yminus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I am not saying needing an account is a good thing - I would understand a criticism such that it is an inconvenience to set it up (I somewhat agree), but a privacy issue? Give me a break. As pichlo mentioned, they already know your IMEI, for god's sake.

I understand the requirement from developer's point of view:
The account is needed for many things - commenting on apps, rating apps, installing TOH software (tied up to an account), opt-in upgrades (like Uitukka or the network update during the summer), etc.
It is much more convenient to ask the user to create an account in the beginning (made up credentials don't matter) and then presume that everyone has one, than to add a checking mechanism to each and every situation that requires it.
Adding a checking code and "Oh, you don't have an account, do this first" dialogue in every app is a PIA and most of all, creates an inconsistency, because you have two groups of users, behaving differently.

Again, I am definitely not a fan of accounts (wasn't pleasantly surprised when I couldn't enter my Kobo without one), but all I'm saying is I can understand the reasons without all the 'evil spies' paranoia.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
No one? Then I guess comparing Jolla to Apple and Google, stating that their policy is no better than theirs doesn't count as criticism (though you were not the one making that accusation)?
Why do you think Apple and Google are bad and what makes you believe Jolla is better?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Why do you think Apple and Google are bad and what makes you believe Jolla is better?
Well this sure shows a bias I have, but for starters Apple & Google are both US based companies that operate under US legislation, and (possibly) violate even that when operating in other counties.

Jolla is a Finnish company that operates under Finnish legislation.

Now which of those is the one you prefer...?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yes, my phone is being tracked by default. By my provider, by my ISP, by various law enforcement agencies... Does that mean that I should be happy with Yet Another Company added to the list?
No. But in the same post you also say:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
There is a bigger difference between 0% and 1% than between 1% and 99%.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
For Google collected user data is a source of revenue, in forms of advertising etc. Apple at least states they are not selling user data but they surely collect it a lot more than Jolla does. Also, both of them reside in US and work under US law which has very weak protection for privacy compared to Finnish law which is very strict when it comes to handling such data. So IMO there is a difference.

The Following User Says Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
By the way, for those not active on TJC, eric has given an answer to pichlo's question why the Jolla account is needed: https://together.jolla.com/question/...#post-id-77860

He also says "We will very soon communicate specifically on that topic, stay tuned, thanks!" at the end, which seems to be about support for paid applications. Could it be?

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
No. But in the same post you also say:
Touché

By the way, for those not active on TJC, eric has given an answer to pichlo's question why the Jolla account is needed: https://together.jolla.com/question/...#post-id-77860

He also says "We will very soon communicate specifically on that topic, stay tuned, thanks!" at the end, which seems to be about support for paid applications. Could it be?
That might be the case. Looks like nodevel may be onto something.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
..., but all I'm saying is I can understand the reasons without all the 'evil spies' paranoia.
My concerns are not driven by paranoia, but by my responsibility as a consumer.

No one? Then I guess comparing Jolla to Apple and Google, stating that their policy is no better than theirs doesn't count as criticism (though you were not the one making that accusation)?
In my very first post within this thread I said, that Jolla Ltd. is worse than Apple and Google. It was not wise to put it like that, because Jolla Ltd. obviously collects less data than the other 2 companies.

However, as a consumer, if I have a choice to spend my money to a company that collects much data, less data and no data I tend to choose the company that collects no data unless the other companies cannot convince me that they have good reasons for infringing privacy.

I am convinced that "privacy" is valuable per se and that "data collecting" is only valuable if it serves a particular purpose. I know that collecting data may be useful sometimes, however I don't want to support companies that collect data without a good reason.

But if your take is that absolutely nothing should be collected and they should only have that often-not-so-constructive criticism as a source of information to improve things just because collecting information is plain wrong per se like it's all black & white, then I'd say you are being extreme.
I'd rather call it idealistic.

By the way, for those not active on TJC, eric has given an answer to pichlo's question why the Jolla account is needed: [url]https://together.jolla.com/question/77783/why-do-i-need-an-account-to-access-jolla-store/?answer=77860#post-id-77860[/url ...
I am following the thread in Jolla Ltd. and hope that the question why repository metadata is associated with the user and not with the device will be answered.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yminus For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience