Active Topics

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Follow-up: Nope! Doesn't work on my stock (but rooted) Samsung Galaxy Tab. I'll bet I can get it to work, though, based on some other tricks I've read. I'll let you know what I find out.
Keep us posted, I'd love to try on either my Vibrant or S7 (both running 2.2).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
Don't know if it was mentioned before, but CCP has plans to bring EVE Online to Android

Starting as a simpler client where you can play around in the market, change fittings of your ships etc etc... but the final objective is to bring the full on game to Android 3.x
I might have to start playing EVE again, not just changing skill training
That would be so awesome and truly a sign of the times. This type of game is a perfect fit for a mobile device, especially a tablet.

Make Magazine has an article on Android Open Accessories and Arduino.

Why Google Choosing Arduino Matters and is This the End of “Made for iPod” (TM)?

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/201...r-ipod-tm.html

This week is the yearly Google I/O at the Moscone Center in San Francisco. It’s a meet and greet for lots of people and companies, a big dot-com over-the-top party, and most of all it’s geared towards “web, mobile, and enterprise developers building applications in the cloud with Google and open web technologies… Products and technologies to be featured at I/O include App Engine, Android, Google Web Toolkit, Google Chrome, HTML5, AJAX and Data APIs, Google TV, and more.” Maybe not so much Google TV or Google Wave this year but for open hardware and mobile folks, this was one of the most important weeks in history.
A very interesting read.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Ok, so this isn't really android news.... yet...

Samsung and Nouvoyance have demonstrated a 300dpi 10.1" display for tablets!

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...wqxga-displays

“Samsung’s PenTile display technology is the only display technology that operates at 40 percent less power yet provides twice that of Full HD-viewing performance for consumers compared to legacy RGB stripe LCDs. There is no other commercial display technology on the market today that offers this high of a resolution and pixel density in a 10.1-inch size display,” said Dr. Sungtae Shin, Senior VP of Samsung Electronics.
That's WQXGA (2560x1600) if you were wonderfing

Press release:
Samsung Electronics and Nouvoyance Demonstrate 10.1-inch, 300dpi WQXGA PenTile RGBW Prototype Display for Tablet Market

PenTile RGBW is the only display to optimize balance between power efficiency and high performance viewing in tablets
SID Display Week 2011

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--At the SID Display Week 2011 International Symposium (LA Convention Center, Booth 707) May 17-19, Samsung Electronics is demonstrating the industry’s first 10.1-inch WQXGA (2560 x 1600) format PenTile™ RGBW tablet display, an ultra-high resolution, liquid crystal display (LCD). The prototype demonstration marks the first time this resolution has been available for the tablet market in the popular – 10.1-inch – format, rivaling the highest resolution smartphone displays now on the market. Samsung expects to have commercial availability of this technology for tablet applications later this year.

Because tablets are regularly used for viewing rich-colored images, the 10.1-inch 300 dpi display is ideal for applications that require extraordinary image and text clarity such as browsing the web and viewing high-definition movies, or reading books and spreadsheets.

“In order to develop tablets with the form and function that consumers demand, a design engineer ultimately has to determine how to get the highest resolution display possible, while still fitting within the overall power budget for their design,” said Joel Pollack, executive vice president of Nouvoyance, Samsung’s affiliate company that developed the PenTile RGBW technology.

Lightness and power efficiency of the display are critical factors since higher resolution displays typically draw more power.

“Samsung’s PenTile display technology is the only display technology that operates at 40 percent less power yet provides twice that of Full HD-viewing performance for consumers compared to legacy RGB stripe LCDs. There is no other commercial display technology on the market today that offers this high of a resolution and pixel density in a 10.1-inch size display,” said Dr. Sungtae Shin, Senior VP of Samsung Electronics.

PenTile RGBW WQXGA Technology Highlights

This 10.1-inch tablet panel is capable of 300 cd/m2 of luminance, yet uses 40 percent less power than that used by legacy RGB stripe LCDs in power-saving modes.

An outdoor brightness mode of as much as 600 cd/m2 luminance enables viewing in bright ambient lighting.

The display’s color gamut is 72 percent., allowing greater color realism than legacy RGB stripe tablet displays that have a typical color gamut of 55 percent NTSC.

PenTile technology achieves 300 dpi resolution with two-thirds the number of subpixels, maintaining the VESA/ICDM display resolution standard.

For more information about the technology behind this WQXGA ultra high-resolution display prototype, go to www.pentileblog.com

About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.

Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in semiconductor, telecommunication, digital media and digital convergence technologies with 2010 consolidated sales of US$135.8 billion. Employing approximately 190,500 people in 206 offices across 68 countries, the company consists of eight independently operated business units: Visual Display, Mobile Communications, Telecommunication Systems, Digital Appliances, IT Solutions, Digital Imaging, Semiconductor and LCD. Recognized as one of the fastest growing global brands, Samsung Electronics is a leading producer of digital TVs, semiconductor chips, mobile phones and TFT-LCDs. For more information, please visit www.samsung.com.

About Nouvoyance

Nouvoyance is a technology development company that develops PenTile® technology, in partnership with Samsung Electronics, for flat-panel display manufacturers and their IC suppliers to improve the brightness, resolution, contrast, and power consumption of flat-panel displays. For more information about Nouvoyance, visit www.nouvoyance.com.

For related information, please refer to the Samsung release titled, "Samsung Demonstrates PenTile RGBCW Multiprimary LCD with 2D RGB Local Dimming Backlight for Ultra-Low Power Next-Gen HDTVs."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Romain Guy, the man behind Androids display framework has released his talks and slides online!

http://www.curious-creature.org/2011...oogle-io-2011/

Just one presentation is missing, and it's the one that I want to see...

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
The Galaxy S II just keeps getting better. XDA is reporting that indeed the SGS2 supports USB On-The-Go:

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...usb-on-the-go/

Not a terrible amount of hardware support at the moment, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Only enough power to supply pendrives, but drives with their own power supplies, or drives connected to the phone via an externally powered HUB, will work.
Read speeds are fast enough to watch 1080p content.
Unfortunately USB keyboard/mouse, and two different USB gamepads were a fail.

Here's a neat video of an alarm clock hack using a Nexus One:
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sAvXCfEj3s

I expect we'll see more of this type of thing with the Android Open Accessory kit. Very cool indeed.

With such a large userbase, I expect hardware hackers will have a hard time refusing a small Android device to be the brains of their hardware setup. The enthusiast electronics market is about to get a huge boost.

This is a mega-bomb. Apparently it is rumored that Amazon has a whole FAMILY of devices headed for market this holiday:

http://androidandme.com/2011/05/news...-this-holiday/

The Rumor
Amazon has an “entire family” of Android devices that will launch this holiday shopping season.

The Source
This tip came from an industry insider with direct knowledge of the project. The information was shared with me in a recent face-to-face meeting and I believe the source to be trustworthy. It was also confirmed by a separate source who has provided reliable information in the past. As with most of my tipsters, they wish to remain anonymous.
Amazon is going to take Google head-on with its own OS! This is mighty exciting!

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Or... you could do what I did and install a tweaked copy...

I haven't tried installing it on my Samsung Galaxy Tab yet, but it's working GREAT even on my lowly old original Motorola Droid. I was easily and quickly editing my queue and even watched a little Top Gear via wifi streaming. WHOO!

You know, for a device released at around the same time as the N900, this thing has REALLY made up for the high price that both devices were sold for.

Follow-up: Nope! Doesn't work on my stock (but rooted) Samsung Galaxy Tab. I'll bet I can get it to work, though, based on some other tricks I've read. I'll let you know what I find out.
At least one users has the Netflix APK working on his device:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7CY2SaKrtU

I don't see any howto links though, but it is encouraging.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
This is a mega-bomb. Apparently it is rumored that Amazon has a whole FAMILY of devices headed for market this holiday:

http://androidandme.com/2011/05/news...-this-holiday/

Amazon is going to take Google head-on with its own OS! This is mighty exciting!
"Amazon could definitely match that $249 price point with a 6 inch color tablet,"
This further fuels my obsession with a maximum screened pocketable device. Honeycomb provides for the buttons to be activated on the screen so there is no need for a wasted oversize bezel area.

Keep the bezel the same minimum size all round and you have a 6" device that corresponds pretty well to the overall dimensions of a Dell 5" Streak.

Oh my

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy