Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Wow, what a massive and glorious flamebait.

Equating hacking with piracy and taking a dump on "free" in a single post. You really know your audience. I salute you the mighty Yoda of Trolls.
You do not understand what i am saying obviously.

People who only want "free" are usually associated with "piracy" and "hacking" for the sake of using software that should be paid for is the term i was reffering too ok.

Many are obviously against having a paid for subscription to a community so i will leave it at that.

As for TROLLING you could not be farther away from the truth if you tried so please try to understand instead of provoking argument !.

ANYONE who comes into a thread with a DIRECT ATTACK against someone should get infraction points as a warning to stop this.

I am only giving my opinion and should no way be attacked for it as Texrat has already stated.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
You do not understand what i am saying obviously.
I think you're coming from the 'conventional wisdom', which everyone here is more or less familiar with. On the other hand, are you familiar with the 'open source software' concepts and tenets?

People who only want "free" are usually associated with "piracy" and "hacking" for the sake of using software that should be paid for is the term i was reffering too ok.
Those unfamiliar with FOSS will think so.

Many are obviously against having a paid for subscription to a community so i will leave it at that.
Yes, but you need to understand that their objection is not due to the monetary value. It goes against the soul of FOSS (not to mention it wouldn't make sense for practical reasons.)

I am only giving my opinion and should no way be attacked for it as Texrat has already stated.
Some may consider your blatant ignorance to FOSS as a direct attack to the core of this community.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
maybe we could just refocus on all somewhat hackable internet enabled touchscreen devices smaller than a laptop, we could call it.............internet tablet talk

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Go ahead and find one. Ho ever, "somewhat hackable", doesn't sound so appealing. Android is also "somewhat hackable".

Seriously thought, CordiaTAB project is trying to do something like that, expect that "they" use better name I was just about to repeat myself 217454 times, but I think you'll be better reading off this whole thread. Don't let size scale You, after enabling "ignore" feature for few... individuals... and scrolling through flamewars, it's kinda readable.

---

What makes me wonder, is that many (not all, I agree) most knowledgeable and productive people - like MohammadAG, to say at least - tend to avoid this thread. Well, maybe they focus on just doing their work, instead of clapping jaw (fingers ) all over again
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-08-25 at 01:14.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I think you're coming from the 'conventional wisdom', which everyone here is more or less familiar with. On the other hand, are you familiar with the 'open source software' concepts and tenets?

Those unfamiliar with FOSS will think so.

Yes, but you need to understand that their objection is not due to the monetary value. It goes against the soul of FOSS (not to mention it wouldn't make sense for practical reasons.)

Some may consider your blatant ignorance to FOSS as a direct attack to the core of this community.
Problem here is many people do not understand the difference between a properly organised community that takes a lot of time and effort, these kind of situations do NOT come free and if they do people have limits to how much time they will actually devote to running a community and the very reason i said council members should be paid for there work, this way they will devote time and energy to the running of a FOSS community.

It is the backbone to any community and this community has failed miserably because the team members have limits to how much time and effort they will devote to the running of the community itself.

That and Nokia pulling it's funding will finish this community for sure unless TIME and ENERGY is devoted.

Servers cost money and i do not see ANYTHING concrete to gain the kind of storage space this community needs that will be FREE !.

Get to the basics and start from scratch, the very first thing that needs to happen is server space and if people on here think they will get that free then i feel sorry for them unless they can come up with a "donor", it will never happen.

Now ask the question again... "Some may consider your blatant ignorance to FOSS as a direct attack to the core of this community".

The "CORE" of this community is provided by Nokia and now that it has been stated Nokia will take that away we have this thread titled "The End is Coming: What do we do next?".

The running of any community takes time and effort so how many times do i actually have to repeat myself to people who do not understand how to run a community without such problems that we have about Nokia.

People are just being greedy and want everything for nothing so it is time to be realistic and you will no way get realism from people who only want free free free.

The concept of FOSS is seperate from the team that are actually running the community structure behind it.

well, there is already plenty of talk here on the somewhat hackable android os, on the nokia n900 and on other devices, so I think it qualifies for internet tablet talk.

cordiatab is interesting but that route has been tried and failed many times before. really you need a corporate employed OS hacker team or individual who leave some cracks open in mass produced devices, aka root shell, or unlocked bootloaders, or unsigned kernels, etc.

of course, folks that CAN do are not at the mercy of a particular company's policies. There are still a few dwindling spaces for them to operate, albeit not with the freedom and openness which maemo offered.

It also succeed before, see Open Pandora I would risk saying that they've did even much harder approach - designing their own device...

As for CordiaTAB, AFAIK tablet is already "hacked", i.e. wasn't requiring any "cracks open in mass producted device", it just contain parts, for which we have Open drivers/kernel modules

If You have not already noticed, you're late to the party with talking about itt. This topic was covered so much, that may make some people nauseous, at just hearing about it

Of course, if someone want to exhumate /revive itt, go ahead. But it's not quite on topic here, cause, obviously, Then End is not coming
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

IMO, the major problem in continuing the community will be lack of devices.
At the end of 2012, most of the users will have moved to something else either due to device breakdown or something newer coming along. As it is the N900 is not even close to the top end segment of smartphones right now and Dec 2012 is almost an year and half away..
There are also no other Maemo device which will benefit from the community.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but I dont see much future for Maemo community beyond 2012.
The repositories and forum archive may live on somewhere but I doubt there will be much of a community around it.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
cordiatab is interesting but that route has been tried and failed many times before. really you need a corporate employed OS hacker team or individual who leave some cracks open in mass produced devices, aka root shell, or unlocked bootloaders, or unsigned kernels, etc.
The Cordia project goes a different route. It is hildon UI on top of MeeGo core OS. So Cordia lets MeeGo address the problems you mentioned.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
I've recently (15 days ago) have bought an used N900, my first, knowing that it was a dying platform, I'm really happy with it it's all what I've been looking in a phone.
Wanted it when it first showed up, could'nt buy it until recently.
Could this

http://www.aavamobile.com/

Be the new "hardware" for maemo5??? I'v found it in Meego Site

Installing meego on ava

https://www.meego.com/devices/handse...ego-nokia-n900

Installing meego on n900

https://www.meego.com/devices/handse...ego-nokia-n900

So, if meego can run in n900 and ava, maybe (With some source packages) maemo could run in ava

So, the idea for pushing for sources and drives (If nokia will release them) and an ava "hardwade" could let us to build n900 "from scratch", how cool could ite be????

Some with more resources, wits orr drivel than me can peek up the challenge :-)

Tags
community, discussion, doom!, future, gloom!, meego, patience, qole rocks, smilebehappy:)