Notices

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
dwould,

I agree, it is amazing that a) the free maps are out there (they work great as a map, just not for routing) and b) that we can edit and correct them. If I could I'd take a weekend and just correct the major highways (ramps / intersections) in Ohio, I just don't have time (family, work, house, etc.).

I haven't tried for a while but had not been able to get garmin maps working which might improve the situation, then again might not. I'd love to have access to TomTom (my wife's) maps or any of the other standalone nav units out there. Because in the end, no matter how great Navit may become, if the maps aren't good, it isn't a real solution.

I'll still keep playing with it though, as it is fun to tinker. I'll also add little updates to osm when I can.

Originally Posted by dwould View Post
... I've added some is_in tags for various destinations I use to ensure they show up in searches...
i'm mapping the streets around my home with maemo mapper and josm, can you please explain me of which tags are you talking about?

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
ernia,
Navit's town/city search only finds places that fit in a hierarchy. the way it knows to include a place in a search is because it understands some high level tags like UK and it needs to know that town is_in UK. (or wherever) the navit wiki explains that not all countries are currently known, so if you don't have existing is_in tags that work for your area you may need to get them to add something.
The quickest thing to do, is see if navit search finds ANYTHING in your map (it starts filling in options from the first character) Pick anything that shows up in the search, then use openstreetmap to go find he tag for that town. You'll find it has a bunch of is_in tags.
so for my home town I have
is_in = hampsire, England,UK
is_in:continent = Europe
is_in:county = Hampshire
is_in:country = United Kingdom

I don't know if all of these are required, but just copied the set that were present on a town I could find. I can't be bothered to figure out if there is redundancy there.
Obviously you then have to have patience for your changes to filter into the system and into a map file you can download for navit. I think mine took about a week to wind up in a file I could use.

The Following User Says Thank You to dwould For This Useful Post:
I have tried the svn build from maemo.org. It's a pleasure to see the Chinese garmin map in Navit. But I am not able to get any Chinese character displayed on the map. So my question is:

Is libgarmin and navit support UTF8 charset so that we can get Chinese or other big charsets displayed on the map?

BTW, It seems the current svn build do not include SDL support.

Any way, thanks the navit guys for such a good software they worked out.

Today I tried an experiment. Comparing navit using a map of the whole country...approx 80MB with a map of a more local area...approx 17MB. To me performance felt better. Http://danielwould.wordpress.com/200.../navit-update/
I'd love for others to try and see what they think. whilst a smaller map is less helpful, knowing it makes a difference might be useful.

Hello. I installed navit from a deb file and love the functionality. I was wondering what address has the latest updates for the application so that my N810 will update automatically. I'm new to the nokia so if you can speak slow and be clear I would really appreciate it. Thanks for all the progress and help!

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
mrdally204

You should be able to install it using the Application Manager from the Extras repository if you have it enabled. It gets updated fairly regularly. You could try to uninstall and reinstall using the Application Manager and you should be all set.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Hi everyone--I haven't seen anything new in a very, very, very long time on this project which I was looking forward to. Does anybody have any idea whether it's been abandoned or if there's still anyone working on it?

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
I am receiving one or two automatic upgrades a week.

erm..define new? i get a new svn version show up in application manager every couple of weeks. if you check out my blog http://danielwould.wordpress.com I have an rss feed of svn changes which is prety frequent. so I'd say it's under continued development.
that said the last couple of versions have had issues for me; I've just not had time to investigate.
if you go and join #navit on Irc most weekdays there are devs there chatting and working on it.

caviat to that is that navit is not just an IT app, it just happens that it is also compiled for IT's. most of the active dcevelopment is not specific to tablets.