Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
As announced earlier, backcover-only thing is going to roll out first, followed by whole body replacement. Could you, please, specify what you mean by "will it ship"? Shipping costs are not included in pre-order price (as it depends in your location), if that is what you're asking. Of course, every supporter is made aware of that, before pre-ordering (in addition to stating it few times in this thread).

Belive it or not, but I'm doing it on minimal-to-non-existent profit, and I didn't wanted to round-up pre-order price, just to compensate for most-expensive shipping fee scenario. So, when it's ready for shipping, I'll contant pre-order supporters about their preffered way of shipping.

/Estel

// Edit
After rolling out backcover-onlhy phase, I'll contant moderators about changing thread title (getting rid of "pre-" parts) and I'll modify first post, filling it with proper annoucement data.
I mean as in the whole body replacement includes the backcover right? So the backcover from the body replacement would be shipped first? Or the whole body including the backcover ships at the same time? Thanks.

Of course full body replacement project includes it's own backcover. *But*, it is not the *same* backcover as proposed separately - they're both feature equivalent, but standalone backcover won't be usable with body replacement's one and vice-versa.

Standalone backcover is made to fit into standard N900's body.

Body replacement will contain different clipping mechanism, as well as changes required for radio's to work on full-alu body. Also, making room for body repl. features require re-working parts of case backside - it's simply impossible to keep original clipping, there is too much "wasted" space in original body.

Just for the record, it was stated earlier in this thread (no fingers pointed, I realize it may be hard to find such details before OP edit).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
A little status update - "release candidate" for backcover went to anodizing shop. It means that I've milled a feature-complete backcover, which, if no problems found, will be the same as one released soon

I had someone to help me during last prototype milling, so I grabbed N900 and helper person took extensive photo-session of whole process, from alu brick, to ready unit.

I planned to create a photo-log and post it here, but, guess what - it turned out that unit I grabbek is one with modified camera module (for InfraRed prohotography), the one which I haven't had time to finish fixing. So, All 14 photos are pinkty, blurry, and overall crap quality

I'll fix that, while milling another proto unit - meanwhile, friend at anodizing shop will take some more professional-looking photographies of ready unit, which I hope to post here soon.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
I planned to create a photo-log and post it here, but, guess what - it turned out that unit I grabbek is one with modified camera module (for InfraRed prohotography), the one which I haven't had time to finish fixing.
A perfect example of being "hoisted by your own petard" transl.: blown up by your own bomb.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
Haven't started yet. Was sick the last few days. Going tomorrow or friday to the lab to ask for scanning procedure.
Problem is also, this N900 is my only, main phone. So if something goes wrong, I have no backup phone. Hope to find a cheap n900 for parts.
Where are you located, I am willing to send you one of mine temporarily for you to scan.

Will it be a problem that I have springs jammed under the EMF shielding on the GSM chips? The typical "telephony functions disabled" error kludge-fix? (I can take them out, but the shield itself will probably has slight distortions in it.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I planned to create a photo-log and post it here, but, guess what - it turned out that unit I grabbek is one with modified camera module (for InfraRed prohotography), the one which I haven't had time to finish fixing. So, All 14 photos are pinkty, blurry, and overall crap quality
Me, I'd just upload all of the bad pictures somewhere for people to look at if they really wanted to. *Shrug*

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2013-12-22 at 01:30. Reason: fixed quotation

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Where are you located, I am willing to send you one of mine temporarily for you to scan.

Will it be a problem that I have springs jammed under the EMF shielding on the GSM chips? The typical "telephony functions disabled" error kludge-fix? (I can take them out, but the shield itself will probably has slight distortions in it.
I recently moved to Nokia 808 for my main main phone. So now I am able to use use my own N900 for the scanning. Thanks for the offer though. I will had to the lab this week.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
I'd like to get more information about pre-ordering. I'm a little bit on the fence because I use a sliding silicone soft cover, and I like the little bit of shock resistance and the fact that it's raised around the screen as a sort of a bumper, but particularly if the added thickness on the neo900 makes those fit too tight anyhow (although I kind of suspect it won't), this project seems like the next best thing. Or possibly a better thing.

If it's designed for dual-battery setups, would a single battery rattle around?

Will the "Fallout" version scratch significantly more easily than if it were anodized? If so, and if different color anodizing options are shaping up to be a reality...what about clear anodizing? (Sorry if that was asked already.)

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Uruguay
Hi, first of all, thank you for the great effort you are doing.

I always think of an metal housing for the N900 like the OEM one, slim, no extra battery and chrome black.
First you have to imitate the original case and then move on from there, i think you posted some real photos of a prototipo but they are down, can you upload them again? thanks!

it's been a bit quiet here, any exciting update posted?

Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel