Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Permetrina View Post
Thanks penguinbait
I have installed KDE in mmc1 using English as language default, that's the key to success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Usuarios en español usen ingles como idioma y luego de instalar KDE cambien a español, éxitos!!!!!!!!!!
Ins't it supposed to change the language only at first startup?!

Y como se puede cambiar el idioma?! o sea, como puedes hacerlo despues de el primer arranque?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Nevermind, figured it out... Control panel then language

Trying now, after having screwed up all the previous installations I made a backup first of all

I tried install this to N810 on external mini-SD card. I downloaded and used

local-mmc2.deb kde-3.5.8-mmc2.deb, kdesup-3.5.8.deb and KDE358.tar.bz2

All files I put to external SDM6 4GB card.
Suddenly files .img both appeared not on external card but on internal instead. This is not a result I need. Installation were broken at begining of kdesup-3.5.8. And internal card were locked - I cannot access it from PC.

Did anyone install this to N810 to external card? How did you do that?
If I just will move .img files to external card - what I have to edit to allow properly start KDE?

Last edited by Gourmand; 2008-03-29 at 21:11.

damn... I did not even think external card is mmc1 but internal is mmc2...

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by maxilogan View Post
Ins't it supposed to change the language only at first startup?!

Y como se puede cambiar el idioma?! o sea, como puedes hacerlo despues de el primer arranque?

Tuve que reinstalar el OS2008 4 veces, siempre seteaba español como default y cuando instalaba kde siempre dió error.
en la última instalación puse ingles como default e instalo perfecto; usando siempre los mismos 4 archivos de carga inicial, o sea no es error del tamaño de archivos en mi caso, luego cambié el idioma a español en el panel de control.

I have reflashed for 4 times using Spanish as language default, in the last I have used English and It was OK, I always used the same files.

Last edited by Permetrina; 2008-03-31 at 18:02.

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Helsinki
Will kde consume much more power than without it? E.g. now I use about 40% of power per day (so i 'll recharge it every day).

PS: n800, os 2008

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by Meraxupypr View Post
Will kde consume much more power than without it? E.g. now I use about 40% of power per day (so i 'll recharge it every day).

PS: n800, os 2008
Using KDE as your desktop environment should not use more power. I am basing this assertion on the fact that with my N810 just sitting here and looking at the CPU monitor - there is no CPU usage occuring.

However, I can easily imagine that slightly more power might be used if one were to go back and forth between Maemo and KDE repeatedly throughout the day - just because of the CPU usage while opening and shutting down KDE. I personally don't use Maemo desktop at all (I only use KDE).

The Following User Says Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Really nice, although I immediately set the fonts to nokia fonts and colors to default plastic colors. After that, the UI started to feel pretty nice. Biggest problem I faced was how to get right button easily and being able to scroll down on dialogs that were too high for the 480 screen. Other than that, really good work. Kudos!

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Oh, and have you all noticed that once you have installed kde, you can also run the apps in maemo itself by opening the app from xterm in maemo (say... konqueror)

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by konttori View Post
Oh, and have you all noticed that once you have installed kde, you can also run the apps in maemo itself by opening the app from xterm in maemo (say... konqueror)
Yes I posted this some months ago in the original KDE thread - although it's well buried in that huge thread now. It won't work for all KDE apps but it will work for a lot of them.

Also FYI - the converse is true you can run just about any Maemo app within KDE the same way. Although running the Maemo apps in KDE is superior IMHO because in KDE I can easily make Menu entries and/or Desktop shortcuts and/or hotkeys (aka: Input Actions) for the Maemo apps so that I don't need to actually open xterm to launch them.

Tags
deprecated, kde, kde35, koffice