Active Topics

@Hurrian:

first you need to create initfs file from root directory (e.g. mkfs.cramfs)
then you need to create uInitrd file from your initfs (mkimage -T ramdisk)
and then add ITEM_INITRD="<uInitrd_file>" to your bootmenu item file.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@pali,

Would you consider building the next kernel-power with the essential modules already linked in? (at least those necessary to access the rootfs, emmc and mmc if present as well as the usual file systems including ext2-4 and vfat).

[ at least fat/vfat/ext3 + mmc modules are currently (kp50) not linked in ]

That way we wouldn't need an initfs and it would make booting off-NAND Maemo directly via U-boot much easier?

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
@pali,

Would you consider building the next kernel-power with the essential modules already linked in? (at least those necessary to access the rootfs, emmc and mmc if present as well as the usual file systems including ext2-4 and vfat).

That way we wouldn't need an initfs and it would make booting off-NAND Maemo directly via U-boot much easier?
IIRC power to MMC is cut off during deep sleep, leading to an instant kernel panic due to unmounted root.

We'll need to find a solution to this before booting off MMC.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
IIRC power to MMC is cut off during deep sleep, leading to an instant kernel panic due to unmounted root.

We'll need to find a solution to this before booting off MMC.
Never heard of that. If that's the case then the problem would also (probably) happen when swap is on MMC, which is quite a common case.

Do you know if the same happens with the embedded MMC?

@pali,

Not possible. Kernel nand area has 2MB and we store both u-boot and zImage to this area. So increasing size of u-boot or zImage is not possible due to 2MB limitation. We are happy that 2MB is enought for current u-boot and current kernel-power.

So you need to find alternative solution (with initfs or custom kernel stored in MyDocs...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
excuse me i'm kinda mixed up here.. is this an alternative of multiboot?? if so, how can i use switch to it and make a dual boot of maemo and nitdroid?? i'm sorry i'm not as noob as my q is.. but i got confused since i read this thread and i actually would like know how can i make use of u-boot...
please clarify a little bit more
thanks

Originally Posted by pali View Post
Not possible. Kernel nand area has 2MB and we store both u-boot and zImage to this area. So increasing size of u-boot or zImage is not possible due to 2MB limitation. We are happy that 2MB is enought for current u-boot and current kernel-power.

So you need to find alternative solution (with initfs or custom kernel stored in MyDocs...)
It's OK if the kernel doesn't fit together with U-boot. My "request" was more if you can build the next (standalone) kernel-power (kp51?) with those modules compiled-in.

I know I could do that, but when I have time I don't have the computer with the SDK with me, and when I have it, I don't have time

U-boot itself can only read from VFAT, is that correct?

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
U-boot itself can only read from VFAT, is that correct?
It reads EXT2 also.
EXT3 partitions and theorically even some EXT4 partitions can be read by Ext2 driver

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
@reinob: u-boot ext2 driver cannot read ext4 paritions, but now in u-boot we have vfat, ext2 and ext4 drivers, so reading ext4 parts are working too. just specify parition type ext4 in your item file and update script will hande it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
New version 2012.04-2 is uploaded. It will load bootmenu.src always (if keyboard is closed, first menu entry will be automatically boot) and will generate omap atag (instead reusing). ITEM_REUSEATAGS is obsolated, use ITEM_OMAPATAG

See first post.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot